Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Help,

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 11:15 AM
Default Help,

Hello all, this site has given good insight on my 95MCZ34, recently I did a tune up on my car. I never let the oil get past its time. I changed oil and filter, PCV valve, Washed and reoiled my K&N drop in filter, as well as dump a Lucas Fuel system cleaner into my tank, and Autolite PlatinumPlugs and checked my wires, changed my rotors and pad, intalled some KYB struts and shocks as well as new tires. My question is,when I start my car in the morning it starts fine, idles good and drives great for 118k mi.,When I let it sit for 8-10 hrs (time parked at work) it seems that when I start it is throws outsome white smoke not a whole lot but just enoughfor me tosee it, I wanted to know if any of you have experienced this problems, I usually put in Valvoline Maxlife 10w-30 for high mileage with some Lucas oil Stabilizer but could not find that forthis tune up, I used havoline high mileage 10w-30. I wanted to know if this is an oil related problemor is it that my car only like the Autolite Extreme Perf. plugs, that was what I was using for this car before and itran like a beast, never missing and no smoke,better gas mileage and all. Please advice.

Old 10-17-2007, 12:01 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default RE: Help,

Sounds like the valve guides are starting to show some wear. Nothing serious. As long as it doesn't smoke a lot, and none while driving. Not much you can do except a valve job, but that's not serious enough a problem to do that, yet. Just keep an eye on the oil level. A quart every 3-6,000 mi isn't uncommon.

Old 10-17-2007, 12:47 PM

Thanks, will soon be doing my timing belt, temp switch (fan 1 does not kick in, I have it grounded to keep car cool, fan 2 kicks in when AC is on), valve cover gaskets (rear is leaking, reason I am losing about 1 quart per 3k mi). I really like this car but if it is not worth upgrading I might just go with a 98-99 3.8 monte, my car is super clean minus the paint which is starting to show age. Thanks again.

Old 10-17-2007, 11:47 PM

ok:

-the smoke is common in the higher milage DOHC motors it is mostlikely the valve seals like said. mine has done it for a while. performance is just as strong and prom stronger then ever so i wouldnt worry about it.

- as for the plugs... bosch have never been good plugs in these cars i use autolite plugs myself cause my fav ( AC Delco rapid fire 12's) arent in the colder heat range i need now.

-i too had an issue with my #1 fan not working.... it turned out to be the relay tapping the pass side fuse box i would see the fan turn on. replaced the relay and its all better.

-for the oil leak. are you sure its the valve cover gasket? these motors 90% of the time will leak from the oil pump drive seal plug. it is basicly just under the TB in the engine valley area toward the back of the block.

Old 10-18-2007, 04:11 PM

Thanks, I believe it is the valve cover gasket and I went to a shop and said the same thing, I also researched the dist. o ring and it seems like the leak is not coming from there. I have put a flashlight to the top from under the car and it seems to be leaking from up top, also my plug on the drivers side always comes out with a little oil on it while the others are dry. I plan on saving some money and dumping it in the car, this is my 3rd year going on fourth with my MC and the only major things I have done are the starter and rotors and pads. I would like to know, when I flushed my radiator 1 1/2 ago I forgot to bleed it as you guys have stated in your forum, could this be a reason why my low coolant light is on and my #1 fan stopped kicking on, seems ever since that my fan stopped working. thanks again.