Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

help or suggestion... thanks!

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2007, 03:00 PM
pcp
Default help or suggestion... thanks!

Hi all,
problem with my 80 Monte Carlo. The car won't crank so we test the starter by directing it and it cranks and starts with no problem. When I put the key in and try to start it. It doesn't do anything (no cranks, no nothing). I'm not sure what to look at now. I change the ignition cylinder hoping that it's the problem but it isn't. Any suggestion on what I should look at next? Thanks!

Old 10-20-2007, 05:15 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default RE: help or suggestion... thanks!

could be a corrodedterminal from the key itself to somewhere... maybe a wire has come lose. with that old of a car, electrical problems are quite common. i would start checking the wires from the key on out next.

Old 10-20-2007, 06:26 PM
Default RE: help or suggestion... thanks!

test your wires on the the colum nd make sure your getting continuity between them and the plug on the end of the colum for the ING. switch.

If you get it to start when you go striaght to the starter is this with the ing. switc in the on position?
If this is the case and the car is stock this is the only thing i can think of.

BUT!!
If it has had a alarm in it at ne time or the other check all wires all the way threw this part of the system to make sure they dont have a starter kill in it that has not screwed up on you.

Other wise a nother great idea is to set it up so you can start it in a diffrent manner like a push button someplace you can get to easily with out others seeing it done to eaisly. Then you can leave it like this as a theft preventive also.