Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Had a fuel cooler built for my Turbo Monte

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2012, 11:44 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Had a fuel cooler built for my Turbo Monte

Since building my Monte's Turbocharged engine seems like I have always been plagued with my fuel really heating up. We moved the Aeromotive Eliminator fuel pump from the frame and into the tank. There was some improvement, yet in summer stop and go traffic it was not long before fuel pressure would drop from the over heated fuel, and the car would sputter along. I would have to add fresh fuel or let it sit for about an hour to cool the pump and fuel. We even had Brent from Aeromotive's HQ Tech Support review our set up and followed his suggestions, but still the problem haunted me. We were going to use Porsches A/C Freon / Fuel cooler but were not convinced we could make it work with the Monte. So Matt's solution was pretty ingenious. He used the Monte's A/C condensor as the cooling unit. To the best of my understanding he did it as follows.

The A/C condensor was removed. He then wrapped 6lf of 1/2" fuel line around the condensor. The next step was to then wrap the whole unit with a insulated black tape to trap all the cooling properties, keeping all the super cold frost trapped and concentrated on the fuel lines. We then wrapped the whole unit in a heat reflective tape to prevent heat soaking of the system's lines and to further trap any cooling properties.If I understood Matt correctly the fuel temp used to be about 114 degree's on bad days, now we are about 86 degree's.
To operate the cooler I just have to turn on the A/C to the low setting and off I go. Should the interior get too cold I just have to adjust the temperature with the temperature control switch. I want to get a fuel temperature gauge but they are as rare as hen's teeth. Sam has found a dual function gauge for his 07 850 WHP Turbo Monte Carlo which I will be looking in to. Sam was experiencing over heated fuel conditions too and they solved his another way, but with using the A/C.

So now I'm able to operate the vehicle pulling hills, hard runs and no more overheated fuel... Yeah!! Feel now like I can now dare drive cross country to some Monte Carlo events back east this 2013 season.....

Old 12-03-2012, 12:14 AM

Monte Of The Month -- June 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Pretty cool idea! Does this have any negative effects on the AC system with the extra heat being wrapped around it?

Old 12-03-2012, 07:41 AM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2016
10 Year Member

Thats a great idea but sucks you meed to spin the a/c for it to work. That robs a little HP I can't do this if I wanted to thou because I have no a/c lol

Last edited by turbo monte; 12-03-2012 at 07:44 AM.
Old 12-03-2012, 08:18 AM
Monte Of The Month -- June 2013
Monte Of The Month -- December 2015
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

My thought is what about the power you loose with running the a/c compressor

Old 12-03-2012, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by Leprechaun93
But for general driving purposes it wouldn't be that big of a deal, considering he'd still have more than enough power. The only place where it'd really count is on the track, but he could simply leave it run until he's ready to roll, click it off, run his 1/4 mile and flip it back on.

Old 12-03-2012, 09:34 PM
Monte Of The Year 2012
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by Leprechaun93
Hello, I had Matt address this issue. He projects about a 2% power loss with the A/C on. So 438 WHP on 91 and I lose 2% I'm down to 429WHP. He says my gas mileage will be slightly worse, yet nothing to worry about. He said when one goes into a WOT all cars A/C compressors will shut down till power levels off.

And as Mike says with the general normal driving I won't have a problem. I like your theory for the track Mike. Yet again Matt says the A/C kicks off for a few anyway at WOT.

I just really needed something to help this car become more stable under summer driving conditions. Now I can roll long distances on hot days.....

Old 12-04-2012, 09:27 PM

Maybe the fuel pump is too big and you're heating the fuel too much by constantly pumping and recirculating fuel at idle and low speeds where you aren't using any fuel.

Why not go with an aeromotive in tank 355, or maybe a pair of walbros, with the second one on a hobbs switch so it only runs under boost?

Old 12-04-2012, 11:01 PM
Monte Of The Year 2012
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by bumpin96monte
Maybe the fuel pump is too big and you're heating the fuel too much by constantly pumping and recirculating fuel at idle and low speeds where you aren't using any fuel.

Why not go with an aeromotive in tank 355, or maybe a pair of walbros, with the second one on a hobbs switch so it only runs under boost?
Who knows all the quirks. I have been fighting this for 4 years. We have put in the Aeromotive 16306 fuel Pump speed controller. The pump is set up to run only on low pressure until we are boosting. Maybe like you said it was always pumping and recirculating fuel at idle and low speeds. Yet other times I would be on the freeway going 80 in 75 degree weather from Vegas to Salt Lake and it would still begin caviatating. The fuel rails get very heat soaked and so do the injectors. Anyway the deed is done and all is working just peachy now... Thanks for your suggestions...

Last edited by ZIPPY02; 12-04-2012 at 11:08 PM.
Old 12-04-2012, 11:33 PM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member

That looks pretty sweet! Is e85 available around there? I would just switch to that, that should help out as well.

Old 12-05-2012, 04:13 AM
Monte Of The Year 2012
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by Enzo354
That looks pretty sweet! Is e85 available around there? I would just switch to that, that should help out as well.
Hey bud thanks, it is doing the job and was pretty innovative of Matt. Unfortunately all I can run minimum is our 91 because of the tune and performance demands. We do have the PCM programmed to where if I need to use 85 or accidently use it, it will go into a protect mode and won't let the engine hurt itself, kind of a limp mode till I can get all 91 back into it. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Quick Reply: Had a fuel cooler built for my Turbo Monte