Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Goin turbo

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2010, 07:12 PM
Default Goin turbo

so my friend has a garret turbo on his car, but is goin bigger so for as little as $400 he's givin me his old turbo (10k miles on it) and a garret front mount intercooler.

WHAT ELSE DO I NEED & HOW MUCH MONEY DO I NEED??

Old 04-18-2010, 04:18 AM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2011
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

What car was the turbo on and what kind of turbo was it? You're going to need exhaust manifolds that work for it. Then you'll need a high flow fuel pump (like a walbro). After that if I were you I wouldn't get anything smaller than 42# injectors. Then you'll need a tune. Plus you should get a boost, oil pressure, and fuel pressure gauges along with a scan gauge and a wideband. Make sure you have a good BOV too and a oil breather for your front valve cover.

How much it costs depends on how much you have already. It might take a little bit to work but at least with turbos the sky is the limit to how much hp you make.

Old 04-18-2010, 05:25 AM

Basically you're going to need this:

• wastegate
  • Blow-off valve
  • crossover assembly
  • Custom-made mandrel bent TIG-welded 2.5" stainless steel downpipe with u-bend removal(due to the crossover being different than stock)
  • High flow catalytic Converter
  • charge pipe (if non-intercooled versions)
  • flow-matched Lucas/Delphi 42.5 lb/hr fuel injectors
  • Custom Reprogrammed PCM adjusts for fuel/timing/shifting/etc
  • Stainless AN oil lines, oil “T”, custom adaptor for oil return
  • 4-ply black silicone connectors
  • Silicone vacuum hose (for connection to wastegate, BOV)
  • Valve cover breather
  • High-flow K&N air filter set up since the turbo won't aligned with air box)
  • Stainless T-bolt band clamps
  • All required bolts, nuts, and washers (grade 8 hardware)
  • O2 sensor plug
  • All gaskets for mating surfaces
  • Anti-seize and thread locker mini-paks
  • PCV modification hardware and specialized tools
  • 180 deg. Thermostat
  • 2 range colder spark plugs
As well as a turbo timer, turbo booster, prepare your transmission and differential for the added power increase and, although not necessary but very advisable, rebuild the heads and change lower and upper intake manifold gaskets (I would just for peace of mind). You can do a fuel pump rewire since 42lb injectors shouldn't put too much of a strain on the pump, but if you're planing on using 60 or higher lbs injectors, you will need a higher flow pump. A front power log will help with the flow from the front ex manifold and make sure the turbo gets check for worn rings, chipped/bent/broken fan blades, and check for play in both fans/stem. If in doubt, have it rebuild and balanced.

I'm sure others will tell you different and this is just my opinion, but I rather be safe than sorry. Besides, going turbo isn't cheap and cutting corners will make it more expensive in the end. It would be helpful if you could tell us the turbo type, maybe some pictures? Turbos come in different flavors! Btw, you may want to check this site:
http://www.cartuning.ca/products/pro...rlo&engine=l36
for more info, but I wouldn't buy anything from them. They aren't very honest nor customer friendly.

Attached Thumbnails Goin turbo-large_pieces.jpg  

Last edited by Wilco; 04-18-2010 at 06:08 AM.
Old 04-18-2010, 01:01 PM

so my friend has a garret turbo on his car, but is goin bigger so for as little as $400 he's givin me his old turbo (10k miles on it) and a garret front mount intercooler.

lol, the entire rest of the kit. The post above does a good job explaining some of the extra parts- except I don't know what he means by turbo booster- and a turbo timer isn't necessary.

How do you know the turbo will work for your engine? Was it off another 3800? You can't really use just any turbo and expect to fall properly on the compressor map of the turbo. I mean garrett makes a lot of different size turbos.

As far as parts you need- there is a lot to a turbo kit besides just the turbo. If you don't have any fabrication ability (ie tubing bender, welder)- you're gonna be far better off going with a kit. If its a normal flange, you may be able to get zzp to sell you a turbo kit minus the turbo; but I doubt you'll be able to find a used turbo kit minus the turbo.

Old 04-18-2010, 01:15 PM

Oops, I meant electronic boost controller (not the car seat booster). I'm installing a turbo timer as part of my setup to control the fans after the engine is stopped, but I could also do it through the pcm with a tune. So a timer isn't needed (the OP could also do it through his car alarm system if it has the feature)

Old 04-18-2010, 04:17 PM

I wouldn't really say an electronic boost controller is a requirement either- a cheap hardware store manual one works ok- especially if you're just doing a budget setup. Nice to have as an add-on, definitely- but not really a requirement.

As for a turbo timer- I say its not a requirement- but you just have to be smart about driving. There are a lot of factory cars with turbos, and none of them continue running after you shut the car off. You just can't go raping on the car, and then shut it off instantly after. With a daily driver, thats not much of a problem anyways because its not like you're racing full throttle coming down your road and into your garage.

Old 04-18-2010, 05:55 PM

Roger, and with today's tuning capabilities the pcm can be programmed to do the timer's job anyway. I mention both the timer and the elec booster 'cause I have them for my set up, but the OP can certaintly go with the manual booster since they are much, much cheaper. I got lucky and found mine used and in good shape for a great price.

Old 04-19-2010, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by sotmelo

Have you thought of getting some performance parts for your engine first? i just think is going to be cheaper than a turbo. that way you can put them, test the car and then you decide if you really want a turbo. there is just so much involved in making installing a turbo. On the other hand if money is not a problem, tell your shop that you are bringing the turbo and they can take care of getting the rest of the stuff. Let us know what you decide