General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Whazz goin' on

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 11:06 PM
Default Whazz goin' on

Hey All!

I first wanted to apologize that it's been so long since I've been around. The trip didn't go so well, as my car was hit, TWICE, while in Indianapolis. So I've been crazy busy running around trying to get estimates and stuff, and I'm still waiting for the rest of my deductable back. Apparently my insurance has to fight the other insurance ppl for it.

Ok, The trip there was pretty uneventful, except I make a WHOPPING 31 MPG (average) on the way there! 380 some miles (give or take 15) and one tank of gas. Granted I did keep the cruise way below the limit at 60 mph. I did this mainly for fuel mileage, and most of Iowa the roads were still really icy from a prior storm. Illinois was mostly dry, however.

The way back? There was a really bad storm, and most of the way from Indy to like 1/3rd of the way through the state was slow, n go traffic rarely exceeding 50 mph. Once it stopped I ran 65 mph, and got about 28 average. Problem is I forget to reset after the storm, so it's hard to tell if the speed change cost me that much, or if it was just the stop and go while in the storm.

Ok, the accident(s!) Once I got there I was tooling around helping my friend (doesn't drive) with some errands, including haulin her bike to and from a repair shop. (Thank goodness for large Monte Carlo trunks)

Well she went in to pay for the repairs, and I was finishing some lunch. Well I went to go in, opened the door, and as I was grabbing for my bag of lunch some girl pulled in the spot next to me, taking my door with her.

The door was/is ruined, it was pulled at least 45 deg past it's normal open point,, and it severly crunched the non-hinge side. Wouldn't close at all, it was pulled that much. Also the front fender was pulled out of alignment, and scratched. The police refused to come out to file a report, because we both had our information. Insurance companies didn't like this but what could I do? A DNR type officer even drove by, and wouldn't file a report at all!

So I had to drive the car to a place that could at least get my door closed, so I could drive home. Luckily enough Passwater Auto pulled it and wrenched it to where it could function normally (at least lock, and open, and close) even if it doesn't seal properly. 1.5 hours labor (paid in cash) and I was on my way. Not happily now, but at least the car door was operable.

So I went back to her place, and started yelling at the insurance companies, making it clear I wanted this handled smoothly. Well my friend came a running out of her room, and was going to walk to school in order to teach some lessons. In front of the school, someone assumes I'm going to blow the stop (only thing I can think,really) and rear ends me. After writing down all of his info, and checking out the cars I didn't see any damage luckily, but I still got his info if something comes up. He had some little honda/scion looking thing with rubber baby buggy bumpers all the way around, so lucky for my Monte, no damage.

After this I wasn't to enthusiastic about driving in Indianapolis anymore.

I lied low, licking my wounds, and just hanging with my friend (mainly why I went)

Then Friday I had to drive back, so I went and met Cain45, James(great guy BTW) and picked up the rims. They're looking awesome, but I haven't had the chance to put them on the car. I'm going to wait until the door gets fixed, and I can afford some good meats to wrap em in. I'm thinking some michelin all seasons, or sommat of the sort.

Progressive took some pics of the damage, but I haven't gotten any myself. Too depressing!

The estimate of the damage is about 2 grand, with a used door, and new GM hinges,

Old 03-10-2008, 11:24 PM
Default RE: Whazz goin' on

If the glass wasn't broken ... get the glass and the electrics out of the old door.

Always nice to have a spare switch, motor or a piece of glass when you need them!

At least the switches and window motor.

Old 03-11-2008, 05:32 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2009
5 Year Member

I wouldnt take the stuff out. The insurance company isnt gonna pay for new switches and glass. The body shop will get a new empty door and have to use all the guts of the old door that werent damaged.

Old 03-11-2008, 06:37 AM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

body shops around here anyway do a very good job of blending paint... usually only the owner of the car will ever notice, it's not like the olden days where a couple years later you had a new looking door and an older looking car where they faded differently... they actually do a good job now.

but regardless of that, ti sucks that it happened. i remember how excited i was about getting 33 mpg going to Murfreesboro, NC to visit a college, so I know you're excited about that mileage.

i hope you get it worked out.... from what i hear of progressive, you may be working on it awhile though ;(

Old 03-11-2008, 08:57 AM

[align=center]Hi `Mike,[/align][align=center]I've missed seeing you and your words postedon the MCF.[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Sorry to read about your accidents, but happy to read[/align][align=center]that you were not injured physically, but I'm sure you were[/align][align=center]mentally : ([/align][align=center][/align][align=center]It was great to read that you got some great MPG from your[/align][align=center]Awesome 3.9L LT3 : )[/align][align=center]Sure hope that you get a super body man to bring your[/align][align=center]baby back like new.[/align][align=center]I look forward to seeing you Monte with the rim's[/align][align=center]you got from `James - Member Cain45 - (I miss his posts[/align][align=center]on the MCF). Did you see his new PickUp ? I was hoping[/align][align=center]he would stop in, & post `up some pic's, & give us his review.[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]I know this is busy season for you, but I will be looking forward[/align][align=center]to your future posts & updates. There are `bike's cruz'in all over[/align][align=center]Florida...Bike week is over in Florida, but many biker's haven't[/align][align=center]left....I've seen some awesome bike's in my part of Florida, [/align][align=center]and they are everywhere.Unfortunately 7 bikers[/align][align=center]were killed during bikeweek : ([/align][align=center]Mike, wish you better luck, and wish you the best.[/align][align=center]`Space/BeachBum's[/align]

Old 03-11-2008, 12:48 PM

Ouch, I would have flipped if someone tried to go through my door. Glad you didn't get hit though, she couldn't have been that far from your body. Did you happen to get any pictures of what she did to it?

Old 03-11-2008, 01:07 PM
rj
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Sorry to hear this.

Any time I hear the words: Progessive Ins
I want to flip out.

Old 03-11-2008, 06:01 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2009
5 Year Member

Progressive = just bend over.

Old 03-11-2008, 08:05 PM

i dont get it. the police would not come out fo rthe dead girl in the trunk after she hit your car?

WELL at leas tthey will come get a report after the missing persons report come out.

as far as the car gose I m sorry to hear this. Personally i would take it to a dealer ship and trade it on a new one LOL or at least a diffrent one. just let them know it was recently hit and you want to trade it in.

Just tell them the girl in the trunk is a bounus for the deal they are about to cut you on a new car(diffrent car)

but all in all im glad to hear that your back and can at least check in once in a while

Quick Reply: Whazz goin' on