Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Full rebuild or swap..?? And a few questions..

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 09:00 AM
Default Full rebuild or swap..?? And a few questions..

Hey guys,

So here's the set-up.. My Dad gave me his Monte in a trade, and it's pretty well used.. It's an '04, but has 110k on it.. The motor is still very strong, and drives just fine.. But I'm worried that one day something will happen randomly.. The miles are all highway, and I know these are fleet-motors and have been around since the stone-age, but I just can't help worry.. Hell, I had the OLD SCHOOL 3.8 carb in my '85 GP.. lol. Regardless, I have a few questions..

1. While under warranty, it had a bad oil leak, and everything was replaced.. Are there any other problems that are destined to pop-up with this engine?

2. Option 1: Remove the L36, doing a rebuild, an L67 top-swap, and a mild build all at once..

3. Option 2: Remove the L36 and directly replace with a lower mileage L67 motor.

I have a place close-enough to me called Morad Auto Parts, in Cleveland. They specialize in GM-FWD cars, especially W-body ones.. So they've got stuff there like crazy..

Also.. Mine has the non-HD tranny.. I saw an "HD upgrade kit" on the ZZP site.. Does this kit basically convert yours to an HD, or would I be better off buying the real HD one..?

Lastly.. ECU.. I saw a few pre-programmed ECU's on the ZZP site.. Do you basically buy that, un-plug the old one, and plug in the new one and you're good to go? I've never done any ECU work before.. On my Cobalt, you'd just use HPTuners on your stock ECU, but replacing it entirely sounds better..

Thanks!

Old 01-08-2009, 09:21 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default RE: Full rebuild or swap..?? And a few questions..

If everything is running fine, why not work on other parts of the car? If there is rust get that fixed up before it gets worse. Get that u-bend deleted, maybe a full exhaust, do other mods that would also work for the L67 engine, all the while saving up for a swap.

No need to fix something that isn't broken, especially if you are on the fence about what you even want to do. My 2000SS is at 156000 and still running strong.

Also with time, you could come across a rearend wrecked car, with the L67, and be able to lift the engine/tranny for cheap.

Old 01-08-2009, 09:47 AM

That's basically what I was figuring. I just really don't want to spend anything on modding the L36 when I can get double the power from the L67 instead..

But would it be a better idea to top-swap or just replace entirely?

Old 01-08-2009, 10:18 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

When I said do mods, I meant ones that can be used on both engines. This way you get the performance boost while still N/A and can just swap it over with the new engine.

there are tons of threads debating the top-swap or the full switch. Try the search feature and read up.

Mostly it just comes down to costs and how patient you are.

Old 01-08-2009, 08:18 PM

It's an '04, but has 110k on it.. The motor is still very strong, and drives just fine..
110k isn't squat on a 3800, especially if its highway miles. 150k is very common, and there even 200k happens every now and then. IMO, if its don't broke- don't mess with it.

As for your options of a top swap + rebuild or L67 swap, thats your call- both has its pro's and cons. I wouldn't bother rebuilding your engine though- if you think itsin such bad shape, then scrap it and pick up a lower mileage L36.

Also.. Mine has the non-HD tranny.. I saw an "HD upgrade kit" on the ZZP site.. Does this kit basically convert yours to an HD, or would I be better off buying the real HD one..?
Yes, it does convert it to HD- that is the only strength differene between the two tranny's. However, you will still have the higher final drive (3.29 vs 2.93), and the smaller, lighter converter by sticking with your current tranny- so it will make you faster.

IMO, the zzp HD "kit" is a ripoff, those parts can be had for super cheap used on the forums. They come up on clubgp all the time.

Lastly.. ECU.. I saw a few pre-programmed ECU's on the ZZP site.. Do you basically buy that, un-plug the old one, and plug in the new one and you're good to go? I've never done any ECU work before.. On my Cobalt, you'd just use HPTuners on your stock ECU, but replacing it entirely sounds better..
Yes, take your old one out- send it back to them, and plug your new one in.

It is not better- HPT (or Powrtuner) is a far better option than buying some cookie cutter pcm. Their changes are very general, and cautious- a custom one off tune is a far better option if you can find someone w/ the software and experience in tuning.

But would it be a better idea to top-swap or just replace entirely?
You're going to have to research (here and on clubgp.com, 3800pro.com, etc) and make the call yourself. No one can tell you a clear cut answer because there is none. It is situation specific and it is also based on what kind of deals there are out there at any specific time.

Morad is a great guy, and if you need something in a pinch ASAP- he has everything, but his prices are a good bit higher than you will find on the forums. There is a price for his convenience.