Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Flexplate?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2013, 03:22 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

You don't need to drain the coolant, first thing is support the engine from the top with a engine support bracket or you can use a 4x4 I've done it. After it is supported and will not fall out take wheels off, sway bar end links off, lower ball joint pull axles from trans let axles in hub this will leak trans fluid, steering rack bolts where it bolts to the engine cradle, unbolt the torque converter from the flex plate from under the car there is 3 bolts, unclip all the wiring from the engine cradle, unbolt engine and trans mount from engine cradle, unbolt and pull out trans dip stick, take shifter cable off, unplug connector going into trans and connector on diff, unbolt diff bracket from engine, unbolt engine cradle and slowly drop it out, male sure nothing is caught and the engine and trans are not falling out with it (support engine with jack from under car while you first unbolt the cradle to be sure it doesn't fall and once the cradle is unbolted let the jack down slowly to be sure it don't fall out) pull engine cradle out and put jack under trans, unbolt trans from engine, pull trans away from engine to get off dial pins, slowly lower trans with jack making sure not to snag and catch anything, pull trans out, change flex plate, reinstall everything. Will take about 8-10hrs if you take your time is my guess.

Any other questions feel free to ask and good luck

Old 11-02-2013, 03:26 PM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

OK cool you rock bro!!! My buddy and are in here watching the race and enjoying an adult beverage and I just asked him if he got all that and he said "YUP" so I think we are all set.

Thanks again man.

Old 11-02-2013, 03:32 PM
10 Year Member

No problem, let me know if you hit any hiccups and I'll try to answer asap for ya

I've done this way to many times lol... sad thing is I can name the sizes of almost every bolt even that's how many times I've done this... check out my post under engines and transmissions its "1 awesome trans build" you will get the idea of how to support the engine from the top.

Old 11-02-2013, 04:45 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by turbo monte
No problem, let me know if you hit any hiccups and I'll try to answer asap for ya

I've done this way to many times lol... sad thing is I can name the sizes of almost every bolt even that's how many times I've done this... check out my post under engines and transmissions its "1 awesome trans build" you will get the idea of how to support the engine from the top.
OK we are down to the half shaft removal how do these come out? My buddy thought they just puled out. Is there a trick or tool to removing these?

Old 11-02-2013, 05:04 PM
10 Year Member

There held in with an internal "c" clip. You need to pry the passenger side out with a long pry bar. Set the pry bar on the big metal part by the trans and pry against the engine cradle and it will pop out. Drivers side tug hard and it should come out if not pry the same way.

Old 11-02-2013, 05:08 PM
5 Year Member

There held in with an internal "c" clip. You need to pry the passenger side out with a long pry bar. Set the pry bar on the big metal part by the trans and pry against the engine cradle and it will pop out. Drivers side tug hard and it should come out if not pry the same way.
OK cool thanks dude think we got it. I just got a "YUP" from my buddy so I think we're good to go once again.

Old 11-03-2013, 11:06 AM
5 Year Member

OK so we have the new flex plate ready to go on but where do I get bolts at? Do you just reuse the old ones? I know the precautions on the flex plate say to not use the old bolts. I have been to Autozone, O'relly Auto, and Napa and they are all leery of selling me bolts since they don't stock the originals. There is a Lane Automotive near me but of course they will not be open until tomorrow.

And also what are these bolts torqued to?

Thanks again.

Old 11-03-2013, 11:42 AM
10 Year Member

You can buy ARP bolts from Zzp intense racing or triple edge and there reusable. Don't use the bolts over again there stretch bolts and can't me reused. You can buy factory bolts instead or ARP if you want as well but the ARP bolts are not stretch bolts so there reusable.

Old 11-03-2013, 11:47 AM
5 Year Member

You can buy ARP bolts from Zzp intense racing or triple edge and there reusable. Don't use the bolts over again there stretch bolts and can't me reused. You can buy factory bolts instead or ARP if you want as well but the ARP bolts are not stretch bolts so there reusable.
Oh crap so there is no where to buy these on a Sunday? LOL

What about True Value? I'm reading where you need a "grade 8" bolt doesn't True Value or Ace Hardware sell grade 8?

Old 11-03-2013, 11:49 AM
10 Year Member

I would not trust doing that.... also while the flex plate is off torque the rear cover bolts again to make sure there still tight. Don't loosen them just retorque them to see if loose and needed for precaution.

Quick Reply: Flexplate?