Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Flexplate?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2013, 04:34 PM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Flexplate?

So last night my flexplate bit the dust on my '01 Monte Carlo SS.

Has anyone done one of these and are they a pain in the @ss to do? My buddy has done two on a 90's Ford Ranger but never on a front wheel drive Monte. I came across an Ehow on how to change out a flexplate and I'm wondering if this is accurate:

Code:
http://www.ehow.com/how_5332528_replace-flex-plate.html
Any other tips or tricks from anyone that has changed one out would be greatly appreciated. I tried to do a search here but couldn't really find any details on how to do one or what to expect.

Thanks guys.

Old 10-27-2013, 07:22 AM

I hope that our member's that have done a flex plate replace see's your thread & post about their experience.

Below is a vid & I hope it gives you some tips. > Good Luck

Video: How to Install a Transmission Flex Plate | eHow

Old 10-27-2013, 07:29 AM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

You have to support the engine in the car and then drop out the sub frame and then drop out the trans to get to it. Worst part about doing this is the "b1tch bolt" as everyone calls it. Its right by the leg of the trans down toward the bottom. Its one of the bolts that bolt trans to engine and you need to get it out using many extensions and a swivel from the passenger side wheel well and best part is you can't see it.

Don't forget to unbolt torque converter from flex plate and double check to male sure all bolts are out and all wires, hoses, lines are out of the way. Don't reuse the flex plate bolts there stretch bolts.

I have a few stock flex plates if you need one.

Any other questions fire away and I'll try my best to help

Old 10-27-2013, 07:35 AM
5 Year Member

Thanks and I'm definitely not looking forward to this.

It actually started out with symptoms similar to a bad motor mount. I have severe vibration in the accelerator and actually through the whole car. But there was also sometimes a terrible clattering after starting the car. We were about to replace the motor mounts. Then the other night I was coming out of a curve and went to hit the gas and it redlined to 6K RPM's. I thought maybe I had bumped it into neutral or something. Looked down and of course it was still in gear. Had no gears from 1st through 4th. So I coasted to the side of the road and shut it off. Tried to restart it and it wouldn't start. Sounded like it was "trying to grab" but wouldn't. So all I got was like a spinning sound. Had a buddy tow me to his place about 2 miles away and we looked at it yesterday morning. After removing the starter cover plate we could spin the flywheel by hand. So he said yeah its toast and we'd have to replace it.

I'm mainly interested in how long of a job this is. My buddy has an engine hoist and jack stands of course and all the breaker bars and socket sets we could ever need. But he's never done one on a front wheel drive car so he wants to know what we are getting into if possible.

Thanks for the video BTW.

Old 10-27-2013, 07:37 AM

Hi `John,
Thanks for your post & help + offer.
That's what the Monte Carlo Family is `all about = Member's Helping Member's > Thanks `John 4-Sure

Old 10-27-2013, 07:38 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by turbo monte
You have to support the engine in the car and then drop out the sub frame and then drop out the trans to get to it. Worst part about doing this is the "b1tch bolt" as everyone calls it. Its right by the leg of the trans down toward the bottom. Its one of the bolts that bolt trans to engine and you need to get it out using many extensions and a swivel from the passenger side wheel well and best part is you can't see it.

Don't forget to unbolt torque converter from flex plate and double check to male sure all bolts are out and all wires, hoses, lines are out of the way. Don't reuse the flex plate bolts there stretch bolts.

Thanks man. Was posting at the same time you were. This definitely gives me something to tell him.

I've already picked up the flexplate actually. Got one at O'reilly Auto for about $50.

Old 10-27-2013, 10:09 AM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

No problem dude. Also it takes me about 4hrs to completely remove my trans.. that's taking my time and having a few beers as well just to give you an idea on time.

Old 10-27-2013, 10:45 AM

I personally have never dropped it out the bottom, Ive always pulled the motor w/trans from top...

good luck.

Old 10-27-2013, 12:16 PM
5 Year Member

No problem dude. Also it takes me about 4hrs to completely remove my trans.. that's taking my time and having a few beers as well just to give you an idea on time.
LOL well this guy works for beer so I know what you are saying. I always bring a 15 pack if we are facing a long day. Sometimes we'll do lunch at the bar before we start also and have a few there. He has MS and believe it or not the beer kills his pain in his legs and back so he likes it when we get into a project like this.

Oh and he did remember the "b!tch bolt" as well. He said "Oh yeah I forgot there's that one hidden bolt".

Originally Posted by MonteSS_Rider
I personally have never dropped it out the bottom, Ive always pulled the motor w/trans from top...

good luck.
I asked him about pulling it up and he's never done one that way so he said we better stick with dropping it out through the bottom. Since that is what he's familiar with.

Thanks for all the help guys. Much appreciated.

Old 11-02-2013, 03:07 PM
5 Year Member

Help!!!!!!! LOL

So how we do we start this project bro' My buddy is trying to figure out how to drain the radiator we guess we will drain it out through the bottom hose since we can't find any drain plugs. But then where do we proceed from there?

Is there any way you can maybe give us a some what blow by blow as in what to remove first and then what to remove and so forth. Doesn't have to be exact but it would be a great help. Or if there is something already posted on here maybe with a "how to proceed" kind of thing. He has only taken a front wheel drive apart and that was one he was scraping and not reassembling so he's not sure how to proceed on this?

Thanks man.

Last edited by michelob; 11-02-2013 at 03:22 PM.

Quick Reply: Flexplate?