Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

First Supercharged JG Monte?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2014, 09:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default First Supercharged JG Monte?

Hey guys, so ive been thinking of this alot and not sure if i want to do it yet or not. Im thinking of Supercharging my Monte. Im looking to get the most power but also having fun doing it too. I saw this kit from ZZP 3800 Supercharger Conversion Kit | Super Charger Kits | 3800 Supercharger Kit

Basically if i go for the Stage 2 Kit and With the Bigger Injectors and Smaller Pulley im looking around $1800 Plus shipping and Taxes. It looks like it comes with everything you need to be able to do it. The revies on it makes it seem like everyone has had really good gains from it. Now is this the best route to take or is there a cheaper and more efficent route? Plus has anyone used this kit?

Im thinking this would be cool because who knows how many Jeff Gordon Monte Carlos are out there with a supercharger on it

Old 09-01-2014, 01:53 PM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2011
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

The kit that you linked to is what's commonly called the SS M90 kit. I'll post a few pros and cons about it so that you can judge if it's right for you.

Pros:
Easy install (6 hours or less)
Everything is ready for the install (no need to hunt for extra parts)
Perfect if all you want is a nice power increase (especially if you don't need/want to go all out)

Cons:
Top swap can be done for under $1000 (the kit is expensive)
The SS M90 kit has the least potential of making more power for a 3800 compared to any other setup/kit
You're limited to specific parts (especially the pullies)

If I were looking at spending $2k or so on my Monte, I would rather look for a used turbo kit. MUCH more power and more potential down the road too. If a turbo with an almost limitless amount of power doesn't interest you, then I would do a top swap for around $1k and use the other $1k for mods. But a turbo is what I would do

Last edited by zipper; 09-01-2014 at 01:55 PM.
Old 09-01-2014, 04:24 PM

Hell I bought a complete l67 with a compatable pcm for $300 lol

Old 09-06-2014, 09:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Ok so im still on the edge of wanting to do this or not. Im starting to lean towards a full top swap but im still stuck on wanting the ssm90 kit from zzp. The only concern i have with a top swap kit is maybe getting heads that have problems within without knowing till my car runs with it. Its like i would have to get the heads fully rebuilt and machined which would be an extra cost. Is there any company that makes a full topswap kit with heads and everything else?

Old 09-06-2014, 04:42 PM

I assemble topswap kits

Old 09-06-2014, 05:38 PM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2011
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Lorenzo
Ok so im still on the edge of wanting to do this or not. Im starting to lean towards a full top swap but im still stuck on wanting the ssm90 kit from zzp. The only concern i have with a top swap kit is maybe getting heads that have problems within without knowing till my car runs with it. Its like i would have to get the heads fully rebuilt and machined which would be an extra cost. Is there any company that makes a full topswap kit with heads and everything else?
If you're worrying about cost let me put it this way. A typical top swap (or L67 swap) costs around $300-750 for hard parts only (no gaskets, fluids, etc.). So say you find parts for a top swap that costs you $500 and then you find out that the heads need $1000 worth of work. Even after gaskets, fluids, and misc. are considered, you still haven't spent the $1800+ for the ZZP kit.

Plus, what about a turbo kit? A good used turbo kit will cost about the same as the SS M90 kit from ZZP and yet it will make another 50-100whp more the ZZP's kit would make. If I were to spend almost $2k on engine mods at once, I would easily go turbo, no question.