Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Opinion Needed: (fake) daul CAI

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2015, 12:48 PM

Monte of the Month -- February 2015
Monte Of The Month -- April 2017
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by KingWord

if I do make it fuctional (which I probably can) would it mess up my MAF? since it will be drawing twice as much air in? I plan to get a bigger throttle body and I culd tune the fuel settings to get more fuel

if it was to be functional would it have any noticeable gain? with all the extra air and fuel...I figured having an upgraded cam would go great with it
Word,
For this, I have no answer..lol That is why I posted the response I posted because I would like to know also!!
I really have no idea how the air/fuel ratio is determined in the non-carbureted vehicles but I should really know because I have one now!!
I am glad you are doing this project because the responses are giving me alot of information I did not previously know.
BTW Thanks for being such an active contributor to the MCF. It is great to see new people come in and make full use of the information here and utilize the experience of others!!!

Old 05-08-2015, 01:44 PM

and I want to say Thank you for taking time to check on what other people are doing and giving people confidence in their own projects...MCF is a great place to receive help as well as give help when you can

I try to think outside of the box and go where other people don't so it gives people an opportunity to build a car how they like it

Im going to figure out how to make this thing work.the air/fuel ratio in a carbureted vehicle is as easy as turning two ***** lol...ive never had any kind of experience working on vehicles but im starting to learn...thanks for the Support Barbara

Old 05-08-2015, 01:44 PM

Depends on which engine youre talking about. For the l67, the MAF is in the throttle body. As the MAF is the device that measures airflow, any changes made ahead of the MAF (aside from removing the screen and creating a turbulent condition ahead of the maf) will not impact fueling in any way. You could split the factory intake tube into 10 intakes, and as long as they're all flowing into the throttle body /maf, airflow will be measured as normal.

It it different on engines with an external maf. You couldn't add an extra intake that feeds air in around the maf, or that would ruin fueling (unless you ran permanently in sd).

As far as performance goes from running two intakes if you were to hook the 2nd one up, there will be no measurable gain over a properly sized single one.

The reason for this is because the system works as whole unit pumping air through. Over sizing one component drastically will not greatly change the system because airflow will simply bottleneck elsewhere. It really is no different than taking a single exhaust car and cutting the single tip off, welding on a y, and welding in 2 outlets instead of 1. Sure, your pipe size is doubled for the last foot of the system, but since you're feeding it with the same single 2.5" pipe, system flow won't increase.

Old 05-08-2015, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by Habbibie
Or fill it up with a custom lock box (like Ive done) if you carry a weapon and want to store it somewhere safe during transportation I manage to secure my desert eagle in my engine bay, in a lock box I created to sit nextto the battery.

Just giving you some rather useful ideas.....
Did you seriously put a gun box in the engine bay? That just seems like a goofy place to put it, IMO. It would be impossible to get to if you needed access while driving (vs say the glove box, center console), and it would draw a lot of attention if you went to get it to carry it when you pull up to your destination.

If you werent allowed to have it in the passenger compartment for some reason, I'd rather put it in the trunk so at least it would look more normal getting into your trunk to get something when you arrive somewhere.

Old 05-08-2015, 01:53 PM

I plan on doing it on the l67 but my main reason for the dual over the single is simply looks...unless anybody else has a good idea to fill up an empty engine bay space,the extra chrome pipe and clear intake box is the only thing I could come up with without putting something silly in there...it sounds kind of stupid but I don't like seeing an empty engine bay

Old 05-08-2015, 03:05 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2012
Monte Of The Month -- December 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Put an intercooler pump there.

Old 05-08-2015, 03:09 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2011
Monte Of The Month -- December 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Barb that's the kind of response im looking for

if I do make it fuctional (which I probably can) would it mess up my MAF? since it will be drawing twice as much air in? I plan to get a bigger throttle body and I culd tune the fuel settings to get more fuel

if it was to be functional would it have any noticeable gain? with all the extra air and fuel...I figured having an upgraded cam would go great with it

I think your engine will only pull in the air needed .If you had three or four air intakes . only so much air can go in..

Old 05-08-2015, 04:56 PM

I plan on doing it on the l67 but my main reason for the dual over the single is simply looks...unless anybody else has a good idea to fill up an empty engine bay space,the extra chrome pipe and clear intake box is the only thing I could come up with without putting something silly in there...it sounds kind of stupid but I don't like seeing an empty engine bay
I guess the part I'm having a hard time seeing is how you would neatly connect the second intake's tube to the main one. To even give the illusion it was functional, you'd have to plumb it over to the original airbox area, but I don't see how you'd get it past the dogbones, headers/manifolds, fans without it looking tacky/cluttered up there.

If you don't like the look of an open engine bay, can I ask why you're relocating the stuff that is already there? It isn't easy to properly relocate a fuse box, and while it isn't terrible to move a battery, I still don't see any benefit to it. I get it on a 5th Gen since the battery is right in the way of doing a cai. If you have to move the stuff for whatever reason, why not just fab a cover panel for it?

Keep in mind of you plan to show the car, the modern trend is towards more empty engine bays. So many cars come stock with cramped engine bays, so people spend a lot of time to relocate parts, reroute harnesses, etc. to simplify the engine bay and make it look as smooth and clean as possible. By adding more stuff to the engine bay, it could lose you points depending who the judge is. Not sure if showing it is one of your concerns or not.

Old 05-08-2015, 05:04 PM

No. Just no.

Old 05-08-2015, 06:57 PM

il just get it done and post pics so it will clear everything up

Quick Reply: Opinion Needed: (fake) daul CAI