Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Excited to see this! Need opinions

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 08:47 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Most shops aren't even going to touch a top-swap to be honest. There's programming and problems that can happen and they don't want to worry about it because they won't be familiar.

Patience is a VERY tough thing. I've been saving up for a car AND a turbo because I know my Monte will have a lot of down time and it is my only car. Now I'm sitting on about $6k and waiting for the right Camaro and the right price, then I get to turbo, then I get to worry about my transmission and know that my Monte will be parked in a garage if I have a problem.

Old 03-16-2011, 08:48 PM

15 Year Member

Originally Posted by Montess2k
Even with a top swap, you will probably need to upgrade your transmission, there are different transmission parts in your N/A (4T65-E) then in a Stock Supercharged Car (4T65-E HD). Again anything after intake/headers/exhaust you'd probably need a transmission upgrade.

Joe
The parts that are different in the HD transmission aren't even the parts that break.

Old 03-16-2011, 08:50 PM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

You have some really good points monte2kss. I really like my Monte, and I honestly can't see myself driving anything else at this point. It is my daily driver, but I'd like to get some decent power out of it, along with some bragging rights. I also want to drive something I can be proud of (which I am).

Even though I'm proud of my ride right now, I'd like to do more with it, really to say I have and to have something to show off. At this point, the L67 top swap seems like the way to go if I don't want to stay with an n/a 3800 that maxes out at around 250hp with ALOT of mods.

As of now, are there any other options to add power? Besides the turbocharger, top swap, or nitrous?

Thanks,
Tyler

Old 03-16-2011, 08:51 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2011
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
Most shops aren't even going to touch a top-swap to be honest. There's programming and problems that can happen and they don't want to worry about it because they won't be familiar.

Patience is a VERY tough thing. I've been saving up for a car AND a turbo because I know my Monte will have a lot of down time and it is my only car. Now I'm sitting on about $6k and waiting for the right Camaro and the right price, then I get to turbo, then I get to worry about my transmission and know that my Monte will be parked in a garage if I have a problem.
Smart Man! This is exactly what I did.

And your right about the transmission parts, but then again I practically broke every in my transmission....several times...lol...

Joe

Old 03-16-2011, 08:58 PM

15 Year Member

I'm already on my second transmission and that was with a stock motor. It's been holding up to all of my mods pretty well so far haha.

I think you need to enjoy the car that you have right now. Just save up money and don't worry about any power adders for a while. You'll figure out what you want to do. I drove a stock Monte Carlo for about 6 years.

Old 03-16-2011, 08:59 PM

Sounds like ya have a direction with the top swap, just keep that transmission in mind, especially if it is a dd.

Other then top swap/turbo/nitrous there are some "smaller" mods like Intake/exhaust/headers. each vary in cost and hp, nothing to Huge as far as power, but make the car sound different. Just remember the more you spend on the smaller mods now, the less you can save for bigger mods later. JMO.

Joe

Old 03-16-2011, 09:04 PM
5 Year Member

I think I'll buy the ZZP downpipe, maybe some headers, and be done with performance mods because all this top swap, and turbo stuff is just WAY over my head for now. Maybe when I'm older and have a better income I'll buy a faster car and do more with it.

Right now I'll settle with being just another punk kid who dreams of having a fast car.

Old 03-16-2011, 09:05 PM
Jon

Setting the PACE of the new generation.

Originally Posted by my00monte
Right now I'll settle with being just another punk kid who dreams of having a fast car.
Same

Old 03-16-2011, 09:11 PM

Honestly, I don't see either of you as "punk" kids...Be Patient, like ya said eventually you get great jobs, make more money, go through the mod process (with both good and bad experiences) and then relay your information/technical experience to newbs who want to go fast....

Whatever you guys decide on, keep us updated!,
Joe

Old 03-16-2011, 09:13 PM
5 Year Member

Aha will do. But really, exhaust is enough for now. Theres really no practical reason to spend $1500 to supercharge your daily driver.

Quick Reply: Excited to see this! Need opinions