Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Everyone's Favorite Oil

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2009, 06:57 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2013
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I am all about the synthetics and could talk your ear off with info. But personal opinion is that the key is to stay with the same oil - for my Monte its Mobil 1. I have never had an oil filter genuinely fail on me, even in my lube shop days in which I installed at least 5,000 Fram oil filters myself. Its just an oil filter and when they leak its usually some other cause. I've never seen any oil filter, any brand, fail in its intended function. Regardless, my wife won't let me install anything less then an AC Delco oil filter. What do I know? I'm just the driver - she's the owner. And she's right. Why take a chance on anything less then the best?

Old 01-01-2010, 02:36 AM

Originally Posted by Steven73
Im not 100% sure whats leaking But oil pan is coverd.. Antie Frezze is up and powersteering is full. Soo my only guesse is oil evry 5000ks befor i do oil change I notice about .5Quart Missing /burnt/ Leaking.. But i have warrenty for seals and gaskets for 1 more year soo since its starting to leak get it fixed for free Right.. And its leaking Right Where you cant get to the oil pan bolts.. its like a subfram under pan. Right side???

What do you mean the floor would be bone DRY? I was thinking of adding some lucas as i work at a truck shop have lots extra lucas... So its ALL RIGHT to put lucas in synth.
By dry I meant where the oil spots would gather on the ground, there would be no more. Also what I do every oil change is flush the engine with that motor flush from Gunk. Works pretty good, eats away at the newely gathered sludge and flushes it out with the old oil. Just let your engine run for 5-10 mins.

Old 01-01-2010, 09:16 AM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I do'nt know about that Gunk stuff for an "engine flush." Then the dirt that is not causing any harm in your intake and in the valve train, just being dried up oil on things, could get caught up in your oil channels and ruin your engine. If the engine is running fine, I wouldn't worry about it.

Old 01-01-2010, 09:28 AM

I have been using Castrol GTX 5W30 and AC PF52 filter and No Sludge.

Old 01-01-2010, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by JuniorCar
I am all about the synthetics and could talk your ear off with info. But personal opinion is that the key is to stay with the same oil - for my Monte its Mobil 1. I have never had an oil filter genuinely fail on me, even in my lube shop days in which I installed at least 5,000 Fram oil filters myself. Its just an oil filter and when they leak its usually some other cause. I've never seen any oil filter, any brand, fail in its intended function. Regardless, my wife won't let me install anything less then an AC Delco oil filter. What do I know? I'm just the driver - she's the owner. And she's right. Why take a chance on anything less then the best?
I used to be a huge synthetic fan, specifically Mobil 1 but when I started doing oil analysis on the engine I was using it in, my wear rates were higher than I liked for the money I was spending. Plus my engine was noisier and used more oil.

Have you ever done oil analyis on Mobil 1 in your engine? bobistheoilguy.com is a great oil related website and has a ton of info about different oils and oil analysis.

Wayne

Old 01-05-2010, 12:48 AM

Mobil 15,000mi synthetic/ mobil 1 filter

Old 01-05-2010, 09:27 AM
Wink

syntec!!!!

Old 01-06-2010, 02:43 PM

Royal Purple, K&N gold filter

Old 01-07-2010, 06:07 PM

Advanced Auto Red label along with a WIX filter. Oil is important, but a good filter is much more. You can buy the best oil in the world, and a ****ty filter, well then you have dirty, expensive oil...

Old 01-13-2010, 10:16 AM

frams are terrible. they have a filtration rate of 85%. I use Wix filters that have a filtration rate of 98% and valvoline racing oil bc it has ZZDP to handle the abuse im throwing at it. all can be had at your local Napa.

Quick Reply: Everyone's Favorite Oil