Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

engine upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2010, 10:38 PM
Default engine upgrades

I have a stock 2004 monte ss supercharged. People have told me to put a 3.0 underdrive pulley on it and that it will free up alot of hp and make it faster. Im wondering how much underdrive is to much. I dont want to put to small of a pulley on it and have to much underdrive. Also, im wondering on what other mods that are fairly easy to install and what are wastes. Heard intakes dont help all that much?

Old 11-26-2010, 11:10 PM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2011
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Do NOT start modding your Monte by dropping pulley sizes and absolutely do NOT go straight to a 3.0" pulley. Whoever told you that must have been slapped with a stupid stick because if you go to a 3.0" pulley your engine will surely die! The stock pulley is a 3.8" pulley and that's what you need to keep until you've done more work.

My advice, buy a scan gauge, a wideband, and then check this thread out:

https://montecarloforum.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=24499

There's a lot of good info there. Hope that helps!

Old 12-01-2010, 08:01 PM

X2, if someone thinks a 3.0" pulley will work fine on a stock engine, then I wouldn't take their advice anymore on modding your car, as they do not properly understand modding boosted engines.

What you have to understand is dropping the pulley size increases the amount of air the supercharger puts out (because it spins it faster). Obviously this heats the air more (the supercharger puts out dramatically more heat the faster you spin it)- and since the engine can't consume all of the extra air, you end up with higher boost pressure. The stock engine, with the stock pulley runs into some spark knock as is without doing any mods on premium fuel- it typically takes a few bolt on mods to let the engine flow freely enough to not knock even on a stock pulley. Dropping to a smaller pulley on an otherwise unmodded engine will mean more knock- and especially taking a step as huge as a 3.8 (stock) to 3.0 (keep in mind the smallest pulley most run is a 2.8 with a few people going as low as a 2.55) will mean dramatically more knock- and will pretty much guarantee chipped pistons as a result.

As zipper said- read up on what mods to do first since you're just starting off- the most common beginner pulley sizes are a 3.4" or a 3.5"- obviously with supporting mods either way.

Old 12-01-2010, 10:57 PM
Default .

hmm.. see from my research on this edition monte the stock pulley to buy that comes up is 3.5 not a 3.8 pulley. but ill def look into what he said

Old 12-02-2010, 05:42 AM

to help out your monte i would do headers cold air intake. for starters if you want more power you would have to open up the motor and put in better parts as well as a better tuned computer as well bigger injectors as well. if you are looking for a good starter and enjoyment i would do what i mentioned intake and headers as well as an exaughst and a u-bend delete after that you will be happy with the setup also get a tuner for it.

Old 12-02-2010, 05:55 AM
5 Year Member

Any links to your research because it sounds like you're getting bad information from at least one bad source. All L67 powered Monte's come from the factory with a 3.8" pulley.

Just do some more research before you start modifying. Start thinking about what goals you would like to accomplish with your Monte. Do you want 300whp and run a 12 second 1/4 mile time? Things like that will help you in your research and then you will be ready to modify the engine. Hope that helps, and seriously look at the link that I provided. There really is a lot of good info there.

Edit: Just to clerify what monte07 said, if you buy headers then you won't have to worry about the u-bend delete. The d/p that comes with the headers will already take care of that for you.

Last edited by zipper; 12-02-2010 at 05:58 AM.
Old 12-03-2010, 01:36 AM

alright one last question guys. im just shooting for a mid 13 sec 1/4 mil. thats what my chevelle runs and i want it about that fast. fast enough for me lol. what step would i have to take? i read that link zipper put on. and the stages of pulleys and what to do. what stage would i have to go do you think to reach this

Old 12-03-2010, 02:07 PM
5 Year Member

It's not very difficult to get these cars in the mid 13's. Stock, you should be running a mid to high 14 with a chance of running a low 15. Just make sure that you have good tires and are track prepped.

To run a mid 13, you could do that on a 3.4" pulley setup, especially if you had headers and a cam (or rockers). I think the fastest 3.4" setup I've seen ran a 13 flat.

Old 12-03-2010, 06:05 PM

i know intake and full exaughst helps out alot for the 3800 supercharged like a champ when they are stock as well as when the engine is built. remember this you have a stock supercharged engine. i will go the basic rute as in what i mentioned then go where you want to go. also look into a after cooler set up or a inter cooler set up as well. some thing that will help cool the air when it is going in the engine. personaly i would go with the after cool set up if there is one for the model. but i will go with the basics first as in the beter breathing to free up hp and pep.