Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

3.9 Engine upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2007, 07:38 PM
Default 3.9 Engine upgrades

I found a JET mass air flow sensor for the 3.9's and the 3.5's. Looks like they are finally starting to come out with upgrades. IT is worth it? Id like to see a dyno if you ask me...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Jet-M...spagenameZWD1V

Also on Ebay magnaflow exhaust kit for the 3.9 and 3.5. And they have a "make an offer" option. Interesting. HAve these been out before? or is it finally time to have the aftermarket world start to see the potential these engines have?
Exhaust: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MAGNA...spagenameZWD1V

Give me your 2 cents worth..please

Old 07-08-2007, 03:05 AM
Default RE: 3.9 Engine upgrades

Good Find `Gabe, but I wish they would have shown photo's of the Exhaust : (
[:-]Body Kit for LT3 [:-]
Member's what do U think ?

Old 07-08-2007, 03:11 AM

$292.20
POWR-FLO
MASS AIR FLOW SENSOR

The JET Powr-Flo Mass Air Sensor delivers improved horsepower, torque and mileage from your car, truck or SUV by simply replacing the restrictive stock mass air sensor. The factory sensor not only is a major restrictive point in stock intake systems, but it also limits the full potential of aftermarket cold air intake systems. The flow bench tested design of the JET Mass Air Sensor provides airflow increases of up to 45% and installs in 10 minutes or less. Compatible with other aftermarket upgrades such as computer upgrades, cold air intakes, TBI spacers, free flow exhaust systems, etc.

If any MCF member can afford to purchase the Powr Flow, please
let us know what you think of the product ?
I can't afford to @ present : (
Thanks `Gabe for posting : )
`Space

Old 07-08-2007, 03:39 PM

Some more. ...

http://www.60degreev6.com/store/inde...p;productId=62

Old 07-08-2007, 03:45 PM

[align=center]Hi Gabe & Member's,[/align][align=center]Another great find...Thanks 4 tak'in[/align][align=center]the time to share. I appreciate.[/align][align=center][:-][/align][align=center]I'm going to do some research on the below. Right now,[/align][align=center]I wouldn't attempt it. I hope that one of our members[/align][align=center]will post their opinion, of the below [:-]product, & if[/align][align=center]they think it's a good product., worth an investment ?[/align][align=center]How difficult to do ?[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]I learn something new everyday on the MCF : )[/align][align=center]Thanks[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]_________________________________[/align][align=center][:-][/align]
3900 TB adapter
[align=center][/align][align=center]Product Information
This adapter allows you to use a cable driven 5.3 or northstar throttle body on your 3900 instead of the fly by wire setup. Includes the O ring (no gasket needed between the adapter and the plenum) and 4 bolts to attach the adapter to the plenum.
[/align]
[align=center]Price: $60.00 [/align]

Old 07-08-2007, 11:46 PM

would these modscause any warranty issues?

Old 07-10-2007, 11:59 PM

well, the TB adapter means you'd have to put in a cable... which I can only imagine how much of a pain in the rear it'd be. The mass airflow sensor? put it this way, it's a replacement deal, you have a engine warranty issue, swap it back out and take it to GM... what they don't know, won't hurt you! lol!

What I worry about is the variable intak on the 3.9... the Variable intake adds power based on pulse length, which is why shortening the pulse width helps so much with the torque. If you lengthen the intake in effect, because there is less restriction at the MAF... you lenghthen the pulse length... there-by increasing the rpm that the majority of the power the pulse produces. You could end up losing torque, or making it come at such a high RPM, the car would never see it.

As Gabe said, I would LOVE to see a dyno on this! Unforunately the only thing I have to compare it to is a stock engine run... not a stock power at the wheels run, which will change things, you'd have to get two runs, one with the MAF high flow on the car, and one run with the stock MAF and the screen and all.

Old 07-11-2007, 10:42 PM

Ok, I've been looking and looking at upgrades for my car. I bought my car back in January, and I wanna do something to it. I'm used to driving firebirds and camaro's, so I gotta just do something. I bought a 06 monte, 3.9 LT, with 9000 on it, for 14,900. I'm gettin the MAF, I have to. I've been seing a lot of things on ebay about the chips and things, but I'm not sure.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Chevy...QQcmdZViewItem
That looks like it's just a jumper wire with a chip.
Any suggestions? I think I'll go with the Jeg's maf first. I do have a dyno at work (the things older than I am, but it should tell me something) So now I have to make a rig to put it on there (I work at a semi truck dealer, so it's built for bigger trucks). I'll keep you posted. I would like to know if there are more upgrades if anyone has any knowledge of any, let me know!

Old 07-11-2007, 11:42 PM

Please, if you can, get a Dyno of it before and after installation, don't forget to at minimum have a K&N Drop in while doing this. If it costs money I'll cut half, just be cause I'm so curious. I got My K&N for like 30$ on sale, so it's no biggie. that or get a run before and after, then we can estimate by the vehicle approx hp according to weight and all that.

Assassin that chip is nothing more than a resistor that tricks your car into thinking that the air intake charge is colder than it really is. In winter it will hardly do anything at all, in summer, you MIGHT see like 1 or 2 hp. Nothing significant. The car isn't going to run any better like they claim, and I highly doubt the mileage would be improved. You can make these things for 2 bucks worth of supplies from Radio Shack. Colder air is denser air, so the computer adds fuel, or richens the mixture. You won't be doing any harmmost likely, but if they tell you to cut wires, in other words, if it's not a plug-in-unit-don't pay a penny for it. There's more expensive ones that I've seen that have the stock plug in receptacle, but you have to mount them.

They probably won't do any harm, but they will do very little good just the same.

If you want 20 hp, do an exhaust, the high flow MAF, a K&N Custom intake (make it. won't be that hard) and get a tuner. Granted, you're talking about a lot more money, but real hp gains, sound gains, et all....

I don't mean a 'performance chip' like the link you posted, I mean a true-tuner that plugs into the computer and actually tunes the car... they're pricey, but helluva lot better than that resistor thing.

Old 07-15-2007, 08:53 PM

Here's something to consider before changing to a cable throttle: I was getting a couple trouble codes: sevice trac-control, engine output reduced, and the cruise control wasn't working. The culprit? A faulty accellerator pedal assembly! I suspect there's more to a throttle cable swap than just changing the throttle body and gas pedal.
BTW, FlynhghR, are you aware of a tuner for these cars? I haven't been able to locate one, yet.

TG

Quick Reply: 3.9 Engine upgrades