Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Opinion Needed: Engine swap advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2020, 09:10 PM
Default Engine swap advice

Hello everyone. I have recently purchased my second Monte Carlo. It’s a 2000 Monte with about 125,xxx miles. The only downside is that it’s a 3400. I’ve decided a 3800 swap wouldn’t be worth it just for the few extra horsepower but I don’t wanna leave the stock 3400 in since I want more power leaving me with one choice only.

V8 swap.

I’ve been looking into V8 swapping my Monte for some time now and I believe it’s time to start seriously considering what it will take to do so.

I've thought about going the LS4 route since it seems to be one of the easier ways to go but there also seem to be downsides to an LS4, specifically getting the 4T80-E to fit properly on the LS4 crank seems like it will require some modification and clearance-ing.

The other route I’ve been considering was going with a complete Northstar L37 and 4T80-E so that everything fits like it should with the transmission at least but I’m not sure about how it would mount in the engine bay and what kind of work would be required to mount it.

Has anyone done or researched either swap who could give me some advice on the details and more information? Any good information from a reputable source I can get would be appreciated greatly.

posted in multiple locations on forum to get maximum reach and more responses.

Old 06-09-2020, 11:05 PM

Few questions first:

-Are you against modding the engine? Only wondering because a NA 3800 may only be 200 hp, but with a bolt on turbo kit can easily make what the LS4 makes. Just saying that's a dirt cheap swap and super easy. Just didn't know if the lack of base hp was your main concern.
-If you're considering a LS4 swap, have you thought about just selling your car and just buying a SS with a LS4? They really don't sell for all that much more than your 6th gen is worth, especially when you consider the cost of a powertrain and your time and labor to swap it.
-What is your ultimate goal? Are you just looking for a 300ish hp stock v8 or is the intent some much bigger build?

I'll say the stuff you're looking at has been done if you're dead set on it though. LS4 to 4t80 has been done several times - have you tried searching the LS4 section on LS1tech?

Northstar is a bit of an oddball as its kindof a crumby engine TBH. It has been done in a 5th gen monte though. The threads were on the now defunct mymonte.com board, but perhaps he posted them elsewhere?

Old 06-10-2020, 09:19 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I'm going to agree with bumpin' here. Why not a turbo 3800? It will be much easier to do, the wiring won't be complicated since you already have a car that originally came with the 3800. The tuning of the car will also be easier, you can have a company just send you a new PCM.

Going into the LS4 and 4t80 is going to be a lot more custom work, custom tuning, and the wiring will need more than just the engine for a donor. You'll need the BCM and gauges and such from an LS4 car as well.