Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Engine swap on 06

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2008, 09:20 PM
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Engine swap on 06

I know it a little early to talk about engine swaps on the 06 but is it possible without running into problems? I've searched here for anyone who's talked about it but could't find any info. I've seen the 5.3 engine and tranny on sale from Morad Parts Company on Ebay with ALL the essential accessories that I could see that are needed for a swap.

I plan on keeping my 06 for a long time but I always regret not getting the V8. And since the 3.9 is obsolete now I don't think there will be coming out with any power adders anytime soon. I've thought of trading it in for a V8 but its a lot cheaper just doing an engine swap.

Any info would help so that I could start saving now and probably be the first.

Old 08-03-2008, 12:56 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2009
Default RE: Engine swap on 06

I saw the same thing, I regret not getting the v8 also, but I don't mind at the moment because of gas prices.
I do believe the engine will fit in our 3.9 engine bay, the thing we need to find out is if the bottom will support a bigger engine or does it need to be reinforced with a supportto hold the 5.3 since its made for a 3.9 engine. We should see how much the 5.3 engine weighs to the 3.9 engine and if the weight is too much of a difference we may be ok. I think we have to ask some proffessional techs or people at chevy or the dealership to answer this. I will research this more. I will upgrade to the 5.3 engine once my 3.9 gets to high of milage and needs a new engine. I will pay off my car in a few years and then instead of getting a new car I would just replace the engine and keep my car without any car payments with a nice engine down the line. It will cost about five grand to get the engine and have somebody install it but I think thats a good deal than go buying a new car at the time. I love my car and will try to keep it nice through the years.

Nice post

Anybody that can help on this topic please post, TY

Old 08-03-2008, 03:50 PM
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I guess this is something we are going to do some homework on. Maybe in a couple of years one of the Impala guys might do it first but I'm with you on this. Payoff the car and once its up there in mileage, swap the engine.

What we need in the mean time is a good tune. Everywehere I check the 06 G6 GTP is clocked faster yet it almost weights the same and has the same engine. Our engine is just tuned way down.

Old 08-03-2008, 05:02 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2009

I agree with you, I definately want to get the tuner program and tune my car just a little, I can't believe how tuned down our cars are, guess it must be for better MPG. I thought my car would be faster but later it will be one day.

Old 08-03-2008, 05:31 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2009
5 Year Member

The grand prixs have always been tuned better than the montes. The 97-03 gt has a more aggressive tune than the monte ss. Pontiac has been trying to sell as a performance car company, and the monte carlo is tuned more for a family hauler than the grand prixs.

Old 08-20-2008, 02:35 PM

I'm feeling you guys on this too. I thought that by going for the 3.9 instead of the 3.5 I'd get more pep. I did, sort of, but not what I was looking for. I've decided to go for the engine swap, but as was previously stated, we really need to do our research. My main concern iswhether or not the tanks for the coolant, washer fluid, and whatnot will fit with the 5.3 in there. I'm also looking to do the cartuning turbo down the road, so with my new 5.3, the thraser 4t65e tranny is going in as well. Unfortunately that's a little more than the stock 4t65e's.

Old 08-23-2008, 09:51 PM

With me putting and average of 22-23k miles on a year in the last two, I've decided that I'd end up doing a swap someday down the line once this one finally gives up on me. Seems how it's my first car I plan on keeping it for as long as is possible.

I would really like to tune it up as well, you guys are probably more experienced at that than I am, how much do you think we might get outta these engines with a decent tune?

Old 08-24-2008, 07:51 PM

the 3.9s i believe have two mounting points where as the 5.3 has three. the engine crossmember sits lower in the ss also. the transmissions are the same, but are beefed up in the ss models. you will for sure need the following: 5.3 motor, crossmember and motor mounts, 5.3 ecu/pcm and engine wiring harness, 5.3 exhuast system. plus you would problably want to put the upgraded transmission in or rebuild existing trans to ss specs. the ss also has the fe4 suspension package instead of the fe2. this includes stiffer springs, better shocks, and bigger sway bars. the main issue is the added weight of the v8, so you would at least want to upgrade the front springs and swaybar. not to mention all the little things such as the difference in volume output of the fuel pumps and so on...and so on...

you would be better off trading in for an ss.

trust me, i had gathered everything for a motor swap in my camaro and was getting ready to start the project when i broke my neck last summer. i have an lt1 out of a 94 vette that i was putting in and it took me six months to gather all of the supporting parts needed for the swap. it was very expensive, time consuming, and a lot of grief. it's not simply pulling one motor and putting another in- it's extremely complicated.