Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

electric turbo

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 04:21 PM

hmm well **** I just learned a lot lol. So these things are totally useless in other words. Idk to me it seemed like it would help out a lil bit but that shows my knowledge level lol Thanks for all the good info guys

Old 05-03-2009, 04:26 PM

but then again that videos numbers were slightly impressive lol

Old 05-03-2009, 10:29 PM

that leaf blower vid is pretty cool

Old 05-04-2009, 02:48 PM

but that shows my knowledge level lol Thanks for all the good info guys
We all had to start learning somewhere. Look at it this way......at least you didn't buy the electric supercharger first and learn the hard way!

Also......
Keep in mind that if you have the normally aspirated 3.8L, then the parts to do the conversion to the factory supercharger go for about $500 or so right now too. It's definitely a bit more work than sticking a fan in your intake duct, but a much better investment overall. The factory supercharger would add about 40hp and 60ft-lbs of torque at the crank, so the power/dollar ratio is pretty good imo. Definitely a better deal than spending $400 on an electric fan.

The leaf blower vid makes me laugh every time. I wish I had a dyno to screw around with.......

-Riggs.

Last edited by biggriggs; 05-04-2009 at 02:57 PM.
Old 05-04-2009, 10:39 PM

WOW!!! I think I am going out right now to purchase two leaf blowers!! I will be the first Monte with a twin blower set up!! O my i cant believe there was idiots bored enough to spray nitrous into a leaf blower!! I hope they were off the clock!! I say go with the factory supercharger and get your moneys worth.

Old 05-05-2009, 01:40 PM

so the m90 is really worth it? Idk ive talked to quite a few people that have that set up stock and they tell me it really doesnt make that huge of a difference. But the numbers u say definitely sound like quite the difference haha. I couldnt agree more about having a dyno to screw around with. Thatd be so much fun.

Old 05-05-2009, 01:57 PM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- May 2009
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

i can tell you from both Naturally aspirated and supercharged sides. The M90 is worth it.
made a huge difference in my car along with my supporting mods. i didnt do a top swap though, did the zzp L36 ss M90 kit. couldnt be happier.

Old 05-06-2009, 12:15 AM

so the m90 is really worth it?
+40 crank horsepower for well under $1000- thats a good ratio for just about any car.

Idk ive talked to quite a few people that have that set up stock and they tell me it really doesnt make that huge of a difference.
I think the people you talk to need their butt dyno recalibrated (or they're not running premium gas). I have or have had all of these setups (2 stock L36's, then my stock L67- now mildly modded, and one heavily modded L67), and a stock L67 will easily beat a stock L36 by a pretty significant amount.

Try racing your monte against a stock GTP, or L67 monte- and you'll realize that its not close at all. Add to that, with a top swap, you'll have higher compression and better gearing- and you'll be even faster than a stock L67.

Seriously, its a far better idea than a $400 battery powered fan- many many people can vouch for the power a top swap makes, and the results. Just try searching for 'top swap'.

Old 05-06-2009, 12:22 AM

yea ive read on it a little bit, sounds like I may need to read more though. Is it cheaper to do the m90 kit or a top swap?

Old 05-06-2009, 12:39 AM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- May 2009
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

a lot of people would say doing the top swap is cheaper, and as far as parts are concerned it is most definately.
But it wont be cheaper if your planning on having someone else install it.
thats really the bottom line i think.
the m90 kit from zzp is just a swap of the intake manifold,throw on an m90 and fuel logs, change a pcm and replace the ignition coil bracket. about 4-5 hour install time. at least thats what it took my guys to get it all done. and we even had to do a case relearn on the computer.

the top swap is a lot more detailed, basically changing everything except the actual block. as the parts are cheaper, the install time is a lot longer.

if you plan on doing it either way, make sure you have the little parts lined up already to save install time. I opted to swap out my throttle body since they were gonna have to take it off anyways, you know things like that. might as well get the most out of it if your gonna do it. i put up a few pics during the install in my photo album.

Quick Reply: electric turbo