Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Egr valve

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2013, 10:26 AM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2015
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by 03SSLE
The following drive cycle procedure offers the various load conditions the vehicle needs to be subject to in order to insure all monitors are in ready state:

General Motors Driving Cycle

Thanks for the info. I am going to perform the exact outline this afternoon and keep my fingers and toes crossed

Old 09-09-2013, 07:20 PM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2014
1 Year Member

Been shooting a transmission problem myself and think I found something literally NO ONE else has mentioned. If your transmission has been rebuilt or modded or even worn you could need a PCM re-program. After a few weeks of fretting over a transmission rebuild for a p1811 code I took my car to another shop to have them check it. There is more to the code then a simple read out. If they read deeeper into what there scanner gives them they can find more information, Mine revealed that i had either A: exceded the maximum towing capacity of my car. (didnt tow anything) B: towed a load in overdrive (dont even have a hitch) Or needed a pcm software update. If the can delete the code and it doesn't come back and your shifting stays fine then your good. If it comes back you need a re-program. This isnt always the case, But when you have a transmission shope check the codes for you have them clear p1811. Most the time they wont, cause they want you to worry about the transmission and pay them to rebuild it. This isnt always the case of course, But its alot cheaper solution to look in to.

Old 09-09-2013, 08:04 PM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by dbaldwin
Been shooting a transmission problem myself and think I found something literally NO ONE else has mentioned. If your transmission has been rebuilt or modded or even worn you could need a PCM re-program. After a few weeks of fretting over a transmission rebuild for a p1811 code I took my car to another shop to have them check it. There is more to the code then a simple read out. If they read deeeper into what there scanner gives them they can find more information, Mine revealed that i had either A: exceded the maximum towing capacity of my car. (didnt tow anything) B: towed a load in overdrive (dont even have a hitch) Or needed a pcm software update. If the can delete the code and it doesn't come back and your shifting stays fine then your good. If it comes back you need a re-program. This isnt always the case, But when you have a transmission shope check the codes for you have them clear p1811. Most the time they wont, cause they want you to worry about the transmission and pay them to rebuild it. This isnt always the case of course, But its alot cheaper solution to look in to.
Thanks for the tip, I hear you on the shops not wanting to delete the codes, as they make money by doing repairs and that is a sneaky way of doing so.

On the positive the check engine light is still off on mine since replacing the egr valve

Old 09-09-2013, 08:49 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I've read about our transmissions specifically having issues that can be either resolved or "band-aided" with tuning adjustments.

Since the trans relies on a lot of computer control, there is a LOT the PCM controls with it.

Old 09-09-2013, 09:46 PM
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
I've read about our transmissions specifically having issues that can be either resolved or "band-aided" with tuning adjustments.

Since the trans relies on a lot of computer control, there is a LOT the PCM controls with it.
thats what i thought too, but apparently its a software update BY GM. Just always have a shop clear your codes once, If it comes back go to someone you know that you can personally trust.

Old 09-09-2013, 10:08 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

That software update is a re-tune (a factory re-tune to resolve a list of problems).

More then likely, they tweaked the transmission values, much like someone with a tuning device can do. I keep wishing I could get a copy of a before and after factory tune file to compare notes from and see what tricks I could learn from them.

Old 09-09-2013, 11:11 PM
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
I keep wishing I could get a copy of a before and after factory tune file to compare notes from and see what tricks I could learn from them.
If I knew what I was doing with PCM's I would get them for you but alas if it doesn't fly im pretty clueless how to fix it/ use it.

Old 09-10-2013, 05:37 PM

I had about 9-10 codes on mine. Had tranny rebuilt, zero'd out all codes. One came back after rebuild and it was the 0404 EGR. Replacements are only about $130 around here. Mechanic says you can clean the tube coming of the EGR with a pipe cleaner type tool. (SOMTIMES). Anyway , I didn't fix mine yet. So happy getting that tranny fixed don't really care right now.

Old 09-10-2013, 08:43 PM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by dmfonline
I had about 9-10 codes on mine. Had tranny rebuilt, zero'd out all codes. One came back after rebuild and it was the 0404 EGR. Replacements are only about $130 around here. Mechanic says you can clean the tube coming of the EGR with a pipe cleaner type tool. (SOMTIMES). Anyway , I didn't fix mine yet. So happy getting that tranny fixed don't really care right now.
I was lucky and found basically a brand new one on a scrapped Pontiac Grand Prix GT and it cost $50 like I said Crappy Tire wanted $289 just for the egr valve and I just wasn't prepared to pay that as I knew I could do it cheaper

Old 09-12-2013, 05:22 PM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

well now after about 1400kms the check engine light came on again today so now gonna have to get codes checked again to see what the real problem is. The car did do the sputter thing shortly before the code, so not sure what the problem really is. Dang I was having a good week too

Quick Reply: Egr valve