Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

eaton-blown 1999 Z-34

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 10:25 AM
Default eaton-blown 1999 Z-34

i am wanting to put a gtp's supercharger on my `99 monte's 3.8 series II.i need to know alittleabout what parts needed to be adapted over to get the `puter to like it's newhuffer.

Old 03-07-2007, 12:46 PM
Default RE: eaton-blown 1999 Z-34

all i have heard says you need a new puter or the one fron th edonar car.

Old 03-09-2007, 01:37 AM
Default RE: eaton-blown 1999 Z-34

takes a little more then that. i am basicly doing the same to my GTP... the motor was blown (shot) when i got it... since GT engines are more common then GTP, i am getting that one. and adaping all my goodies on to it.... here are your main two options:

A: leave your motor as is and get ZZPerformance's new lower intake manifold. onthe SC engine, the fuel injectors are in the heads! if you try and put a SC lower intake manifold on, you will have nowhere to put your fuel injectors! no fuel = no go. ZZP sells a new lower that has ports for the injectors in there... they also have kits to adapt the pulley system to make it work.

B; (what i am doing) Take your block, and put on the heads off the SC motor, its lower intake and basicly swap everything over! not a good choice for you cause it means more stuff to buy.

!!!!!
now comes the fun part. the SC motors run 8.5:1 compression... the non SC motor runs 9.4:1.... what does that mean you ask? SC and Turbo cars favor low compression #'s... the higher the compression the better the chance for engine knock that "WILL" destroy your engine. to counter this, you will need exhaust mods, intake mods, and some good computer tuning to make it work as good as factory/safe for daily driving.

the reason why I and others choose to go this risky route, is if you do manage to pull off the tuning, the motor will make more power for less boost! (IE the motor is more efficent) one problem with the SC motors people have run into, is after a certain boost level, the Supercharger will start making more heat then boost! (blower is out of its efficency range) so by switching to a high compression block, you can regain efficency. one good comparison is this:
a factory SC motor has a 3.8" SC pulley the normal step in pulley sizes is down to a 3.4... which significantly increases the boost level... not 100% sure but IIRC it was about 3psi!
a NonSC motor runing the same heads, andparts as the factory setup (all that changed was the compression) will make as much power as the SC motor with the 3.4! but since the SC isnt being pushed, it is not generating any more heat the when it was on the factory SC motor.... the reason you need tuing and mods, is this: all though the SC isnt generating any more heat, the exhaust gas comeing from the motor is now an issue if all the exhaust was unchanged.

another store to look at is the ClubGPstore.... ( ClubGP.com) they also have a forum and there is alot of info on people who have done this same swap.

PS sorry for the long explaination....i know i get winded at times... but i feel i should cover all the basses the first time if i can. let me know if i can help futher.