Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Eaton M112

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2007, 01:43 AM
5 Year Member
Default Eaton M112

I've been tossing up the Gen V swap idea for some time while I straighten out my budget and take care of some outstanding loans. I'm actually thinking of just bypassing the Gen V M90 and just jumping up to an M112 instead. I know there will be tons of extra work needed to be done to the engine before I do this, but I'm looking at a starting point.

My question is which M112 are people using to do the swap. Checking Ebay I think I have found 2 completely different styles -maybe its a generation thing - but the bolt patterns are completely different.

Which M112 is being used? The one for the Ford F160 Lightning or the Cobra? Here are 2links below to help show the difference.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/F-150...spagenameZWDVW

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2003-...spagenameZWDVW

I'm almost positive the one being used is the one off the F150 but would like confirmation first.

Thanks!!!

Old 08-26-2007, 05:37 AM
Default RE: Eaton M112

Hey Dan, if I had to guess, I would say definitely the F150. The outlet from that Lightning's blower is the same as ours, directly into the LIM, unlike the Mustang's, which has that 90 degree elbow output weird combo deal...

I am going to do a search online, and try to find a Lower Intake Manifold adapter kit, because your success with this will determine where I go with my next blower...

Biggest thing that the M112 has over the M90 is that it is larger, therefore will have to work less in order to produce the same amount of boost. Less work equals less heat, less heat equals no more:
"Dang thing added 3* of KR"

I'll keep lookin for ya...

-Keegan

Old 08-26-2007, 09:52 AM
5 Year Member

Well another big reason over the size increase is the "Gen V" technology as well. The M112's are allegedly using the same coating and S-Porting technology of the popular Gen V swap. I figure I might want to do both at the same time.

I'm also keeping my eye out fora cheap Whipple on ebay.

I'm going to take care of my finantial responsibilities first before I start playing again... well at least long enough to get rid of the 0% interest credit card before they come back and charge me for back interest, but then I plan to get a short stack intercooler and go from there.

Old 08-26-2007, 10:08 AM

I agree, going larger, and more efficient is the way to go...

I'm gonna just port and polish my gen III for the time being... I'll worry about upgrading once you figure out what works and what doesnt..

Old 08-26-2007, 07:57 PM
5 Year Member

Well like I've stated I plan to keep this car as a daily driver for 20 years so I'm just taking it easy with what I'm going to do. I know in about 15 years or so it will probably be converted to RWD but things like the engine, axles, and floor pan will probably need to be changed anyway so I might as well have fun with it then.

This seriously is going to be the car that goes with the family like you hear some people keep 70's Montes, Dodge Chargers, and Barracuda's in the family.

Old 08-26-2007, 11:45 PM

i have seen some people who use the m90 blower case and just have had a custom adapter made to make the case longer! as for the exact model... i have no clue. i would post a question over at clubgp.com they have a bigger group of people there with these cars. seriously thought, an m112 or even a whipple isnt neccesary. niether have made any serious numbers over people runing Gev V's and turbos are still better.

if you want to keep the car as a daily driver, i would say do a gen V, intercooler, a tuner, headers and full exhaust, rockers or cam,and a selection of pulleys one for daily driving and others for track. but also keep in mind you will need one heck of a trany to handle this power. the hard parts inside were never designed for this much power and need to be upgraded.

Old 08-28-2007, 04:17 PM
5 Year Member

OK, lets get a price list for a Gen V setup then.

GenV with LIM - about $700 Ebay or Clubgp. Give/take $200.
NorthStar TB setup - $290 ZZP.
ZZP Intercooler - 1,150 ish - upgraded radiator Stage 3 and Machined intake.
Fuel Logs - $300 with Intercooler - $380 seperate.
Programmer $420 - $500 - DHP vs HP Tuners.

Rough total: $2,860 Hopefully get some of this on the used side.

Old 08-28-2007, 04:54 PM
5 Year Member

I was thinking that that would be a heck of a lot to drop at one time and I'm really not down for getting the tuner just yet.... I still want to see what is going on with prices.

Just found on ZZP an adapter plate for $100 that will allow me to get a GenV and put on my stock TB until I upgrade to NorthStar.

http://www.zzperformance.com/grand_p...&catid=113

This would bring my intro price to a more affordable $800 - $700 for the Blower and $100 for the kit.

I can bump up to the correct intercooler later on.

Old 08-28-2007, 07:50 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I believe that you will lose low end torque (drivability) with the M112 blower, but I might be wrong. Something to think about.
I want an M112, also tho. It's a top end thing. Along with a ZZP shortstack.
What final drive ratio are you planning on using?

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2319272

Old 08-28-2007, 09:18 PM
5 Year Member

I plan to stay with the stock gear ratio for now. Just looking for the higher power and keep the top end and still have decent gas milage.

I might goto 3:29 or even 3:62 if I ever decide to start draging with it or don't enjoy the top end every so often. Being in WI allows some nice straightways without cops.

I really want to keep this as a powerfull daily driver when done at this point.

Quick Reply: Eaton M112