Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

dual snorkel air cleaners

Old 01-30-2006, 03:35 AM
Default dual snorkel air cleaners

I have a question for those who would know more about performance (air flow/cool air intake) than myself. Would a dual snorkel air cleaner assembly w/ the intake hoses (http://www.montecarloss.com/images/KevinS85SS7.jpg), a K&N filter and K&N filter top OEM replacement lid (http://store.summitracing.com/largei...rt=KNN-66-1201) be more beneficial than just the K&N air cleaner assembly itself? Wouldn't having a dual snorkel air cleaner be like a K&N cool air intake system? Wouldn't having the dual snorkels w/ the hoses mounted to the core support push more cool air into the carb? Am I just delosional, lol?

Old 02-06-2006, 05:59 AM
Default RE: dual snorkel air cleaners

ok. that dual snorkel system works like a cold air intake on injected cars. it's design is aimed at shielding the filter from engine heat and bringing in cold/cooler air.

if you use one of those toper's. you will allow warm air into the engine. although, you will have the potential for more air intake, but warm air is bad. i wouls go for that dual snorkel system, or....

i would get or make a cowl style intake on the hood and build a shaker style hood heat shield to isolate the air cleaner and direct the air from the cowl intake to the air cleaner. in this setup, you could use that toper and K&N... hope that makes sence to you.

Old 02-22-2006, 08:13 PM

i would get or make a cowl style intake on the hood and build a shaker style hood heat shield to isolate the air cleaner and direct the air from the cowl intake to the air cleaner. in this setup, you could use that toper and K&N...
just trying to clarify, because I think you are onto something that i might try on my 87. Do you mean something like the old cobras used to have? where you lift up the hood and the intake is gasketed so that when you close the hood all youre getting is air drawn in from your scoop? Im not sure if thats what a shaker style hood is...just an idea...

alex

Old 03-03-2006, 05:19 AM

well yeah a shaker hood would have a complete cutout thru the hood, but its kinda like what i think it would take... just like you said to seal against the hood like the old muscle cars

Old 03-27-2009, 06:27 AM

Yeah a dual snorkel system works like a cold air intake on injected cars...

Old 03-27-2009, 07:20 AM

yes, i would go for the dual snorkel system on your monte. i would keep the top on the air cleaner assembly to keep out all the hot air. two snorkels is better than one! plus, it would be a cheaper/less work than a shaker hood. however, a shaker style setup on a monte would look bad a$$ for sure. depends on how much time/money you wanna spend on it. let us know what you end up doing!

Old 03-30-2009, 10:06 PM

try www.ramairbox.com they sell sets just like the dual snorkel ones. They are expensive, but nice kits.