Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

cooling issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 10:31 AM
Default cooling issues

If anybody out ther has any suggestions it would be greatly appreciated. I'm tired of my baby sittin and would like to get her on the road.

Old 11-15-2007, 01:14 PM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- December 2007
Default RE: cooling issues

Well... I checked with our mechanics, and they said:

1. You should not be running a 160° thermostat, itstoo low - back to 180°.
2. Your car shouldn't be blowing coolant, which means your radiator cap is bad -- so that is one part of your issue.
3. You checked the compression, was that before or after the boil out? Are you blowing any white smoke or is there any water getting into the oil system - which is a clear sign of Head-gasket is blown. If there is a white milky under your oil cap, is a sign there is water in your oil.
4. Where is your original radiator fan and scrowd system, and if someone removed it before you, how is water bump being turned -- logic behind this is: 1. you car was not designed to operate with the electric fans. 2. if the fan was simply removed and the bolts just tighten further - the bolts could be contacting something. 3. with the radiator cap off, do you see water flowing through your radiator and is it flowing well?

Butin my opinion (and just my personal), I would find the original fan and shroud system in a bone yard and put in on my car. Then I would flush the radiator and cooling system and monitor the circulation or flow. Then I would put a 180° stat on it. The boiling of your engine IS NOT GOOD and can have delayed problems (freeze plugs being one.)

Old 11-15-2007, 01:48 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

it could be a thermostat hung open too. that will cause trouble eventually. the toggle switches on the fans is going to cost an arm and a leg to get fixed by GM too.

Old 11-15-2007, 03:06 PM

The original radiator fan and system were replaced with a new aftermarket one. It has one fan in the front which pulls and two in back that blow. I'm not familiar with what exactly activates the waterpump? The fans are ran off switch and i let the car run 15 mins or so with fans on it temp seemed ok. I had not used fans cuz guy told me only 1 was on switch, Ihave no milky white on radiator cap. I did the compression test after the boil. Also the system was blowing steam out of the reservoir in the beginning but with the fans running constantly now, I ran it 15 mins. or so and no bubbling or stem out of motor or reservoir. Seem Ok to me? your opinion. THANKS for the help!!!!!

Old 11-15-2007, 03:10 PM

I just put a 160 degree in yesterday being as it didnt have one at all. I was told 1 of the 3 fans(1 sucks 2 blow) was run off toggle switch. I ran the car about 15 mins. or so with fans running and didnt hear any bubbling or steam coming out of reservoir like before. Whats youre opinion?

Old 11-15-2007, 03:22 PM

I would install a cooling sensor that would turn the fans on when the engine got up to the correct temp.
I dont know what year car you are dealing with so that makes it a little harder. I know newer cars the fans are control but the computer. Older cars like the 87 monte had fan clutchs on the fan. I could go back to the old system. A lot less head aches.

Old 11-15-2007, 04:01 PM

It's a 1987 Monte. I assume it has no fan clutch? I guess that is why the fans are run off the switch. I may go back OE I don't want to mess the motor up, everything is only a year old.