Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Coolant Leak again!

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 10:32 AM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Coolant Leak again!

As im sure everyone knows My Monte.. (the Z) is a 1999 3.8.

I guess im not as proficiant on here as I would like to be...(when it comes to useing the search)

My point is:
Whats the best brand for upper and lower intake gaskets? Part numbers would be nice also....

Last night just before supper I checked out the coolant level on my resevoir and it had nada in it....theres no obvious (visual leaks) so I figure it must be suckn it into the exhaust....Because I also got a CEL of po1133/p1133 ...which is
the #1 Bank 1 O2 sensor..... Indicateing theres a possible coolant leaking into the exhaust..

Thanks guys/gals for your help....

Old 02-08-2013, 11:13 AM

I think FelPro makes a pretty decent lower intake gasket from what I have heard. I just got the metal one and it is being put in my car right about nowish probably.

Old 02-08-2013, 11:15 AM

I think that this is the one I got. FEL-PRO Part # MS98014T off of rockauto.

Old 02-08-2013, 11:21 AM

5 Year Member

Im just wondering if all 3.8s are created equal?/ I know the different models,grandprix,buicks,chevrolet have similaritys... But I dont believe certain parts are that interchangeable...

Meaning is my 1999 the same as your dads 2001....
Because some of the parts on mine are actually 2000... even though its a 1999...

I know some of the1995- 1998 models for example show a leak at the stove pipe(egr inlet)..
causeing you to have to replace both the upper and lower intakes.. from breakdown/ contamination of materials... etc...
But I havent found any info lke that for my model year.
Thanks...

Last edited by STUMPMI; 02-08-2013 at 11:25 AM.
Old 02-08-2013, 11:24 AM

When I say mine I am referring to my 2000 Grand Prix. According to rockauto it fits the 98-05 Monte Carlo and the 97-08 Grand Prix so I think that this will work for the lower ones. To be safe I would just replace both.

Old 02-08-2013, 11:35 AM

5 Year Member

Originally Posted by burgundybullet
When I say mine I am referring to my 2000 Grand Prix. According to rockauto it fits the 98-05 Monte Carlo and the 97-08 Grand Prix so I think that this will work for the lower ones. To be safe I would just replace both.
I definately plan on changeing out both......
I just want to get the right model/brand..type.. this time...so I wont have to do it a 3rd time... I think Im going to be fine with useing the dorman on the upper(gasket)... I think its been recommended to useing an aluminum on the lower...Just not sure if its best to use fel-pro or some other brand...for the lower...

Old 02-08-2013, 11:56 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Stumpmi - The only differences I know in the L36 3800 (Series 2, naturally aspirated) are a couple of sensors (I think the MAF might be the only one that differs, as a result, the Throttle Bodies are a little different to accomodate the different MAF).

ALL L36 Series 2 3800's use the same gasket sets. I recommend Fel-Pro (I don't have a moment to look it up). If you are going down to the LIM gaskets, use the Fel-Pro aluminum replacement gaskets (the nylon stuff is JUNK). Sadly, the only gasket kits I know for the UIM are nylon (and come to think of it, I think I used a Dorman UIM gasket), but the damage there is not NEARLY what is done at the LIM.

The UIM, being nylon itself has an issue where the stove pipe causes the nylon sides around it to break down. A leak can develop there as a result of coolant intended to go to/from your throttle body now leaks in with your air intake. Three fixes for that issue:
- Cheapest - Tap and plug the ports on the LIM (something I did in the link below, expanding the coolant bypass is NOT required, my father is running a '98 Grand Prix with the ports plugged and NO expanded bypass):
'04 Monte Carlo SS - Port Matched LIM
- Middle Cost - Get a APN replacement UIM. The ZZP HV3 won't fit (from what I am told), but they re-enforced parts of the UIM to reduce the chance of future UIM failure.
- Highest Cost - Convert over to a Series 3 aluminum UIM.
No matter the solution you take, the kits usually include a modified narrow stove pipe. Replace the original stove pipe with the newer one (another measure to reduce revisiting this issue).

Only way I know to validate the UIM is bad, check all common leak points. If nothing proves it, pop the UIM off, clean around the stove pipe on the UIM, use compressed air into the ports for the coolant to go to/from the throttle body. If it's leaking, you will find it.

Hope this helps!

Old 02-08-2013, 12:07 PM

Yea I hear ya. My mechanic seems to not like Dorman gaskets or the Dorman replacement elbows. I've never had any personal experience with the Dorman so I don't know for sure whats great.

Old 02-08-2013, 12:19 PM

5 Year Member

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
Stumpmi - The only differences I know in the L36 3800 (Series 2, naturally aspirated) are a couple of sensors (I think the MAF might be the only one that differs, as a result, the Throttle Bodies are a little different to accomodate the different MAF).

ALL L36 Series 2 3800's use the same gasket sets. I recommend Fel-Pro (I don't have a moment to look it up). If you are going down to the LIM gaskets, use the Fel-Pro aluminum replacement gaskets (the nylon stuff is JUNK). Sadly, the only gasket kits I know for the UIM are nylon (and come to think of it, I think I used a Dorman UIM gasket), but the damage there is not NEARLY what is done at the LIM.

The UIM, being nylon itself has an issue where the stove pipe causes the nylon sides around it to break down. A leak can develop there as a result of coolant intended to go to/from your throttle body now leaks in with your air intake. Three fixes for that issue:
- Cheapest - Tap and plug the ports on the LIM (something I did in the link below, expanding the coolant bypass is NOT required, my father is running a '98 Grand Prix with the ports plugged and NO expanded bypass):
'04 Monte Carlo SS - Port Matched LIM
- Middle Cost - Get a APN replacement UIM. The ZZP HV3 won't fit (from what I am told), but they re-enforced parts of the UIM to reduce the chance of future UIM failure.
- Highest Cost - Convert over to a Series 3 aluminum UIM.
No matter the solution you take, the kits usually include a modified narrow stove pipe. Replace the original stove pipe with the newer one (another measure to reduce revisiting this issue).

Only way I know to validate the UIM is bad, check all common leak points. If nothing proves it, pop the UIM off, clean around the stove pipe on the UIM, use compressed air into the ports for the coolant to go to/from the throttle body. If it's leaking, you will find it.

Hope this helps!
Thanks Mike!

Old 02-08-2013, 02:08 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I sugest the felpro aswell!

Quick Reply: Coolant Leak again!