Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

cold air intake on 04 monte

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 04:59 PM
Photobucket

that did help quite a bit, and I really don't want that sound! haha i am not all that into engines, i enjoy it on someone elses car but that really makes me want to not do that upgrade ! to be honest. and that's good to hear an HID upgrade will fit in an OEM socket, what do you think of that ebay unit :P sound lagit? i've done some parts on ebay, havn't been boned yet, but i'm pretty fickle when it comes if i sense any sign of fishyness i don't buy, but that kind of stuff it's hard to tell. for such a cheap price, i'd think i should at least be spending 50-70$ on those balasts and lamps.

that unit he linked needs a 50$ air filter?

Old 06-22-2010, 07:08 PM

i'm not entirly sure if these cars come with them to begin with?
Technically, the car came with a "cold air intake" stock- the factory airbox draws it air in from behind the headlight only, hence only drawing cold air (like an aftermarket cold air intake box). It just doesn't perform as well as aftermarket because its made to silence engine noise too, whereas the aftermarket ones don't.

is it really worth it?
Its hard to say- you're talking a very small pinch more horsepower and a very small pinch more MPG at the expense of more engine noise, and ~$300. If you don't like to hear more engine noise, then I'd say its probably going to be a waste, especially if you don't plan to do more engine mods- the power gained by it is very little.

A more budget oriented option is building something yourself like the one you posted from Milzy motorsports- you can get those PCM trays from a junkyard (out of GMC Jimmy's, and Blazers I believe)- or for like $15-20 online. You can buy your own cone filter (depending on the brand, runs $20-50)- and you can get flexible tubing from the local hardware for cheap (its not smooth wall tube, but it'll work fine for what you're doing)- plus clamps and connectors as well from the hardware. Then you just remove your stock airbox, run the tubing into the fenderwell, and mount the new cone filter in there. You get the performance of the cold air intake for much less money (at the expense of more labor, and not looking as clean under the hood).

and what other kind of upgrades are posible on this car?
That's a very vague question- there are all kinds of mods- ground effects kits, rims, lowering suspension, bigger brakes, various engine mods to improve power from simple stuff to cam/heads or 3500 top swap parts, sound system upgrades, etc etc- just depends what you want to improve.

Old 06-22-2010, 07:20 PM
Photobucket

lol these motos say nothing to clean looking, these engines appear more practicly designed than estetics, and i seem to understand this now, and I kind of want the noise because that's just bad *** lol but kind of obnoxiouse. my stereo system could easily drown that out, as i have over 150 watts rms to each channel + 1200 to my sub rms, so i'm all about car audio :P really i was intereested in the fuel econemy, their could be as much as a 10% gain, if i'm filling my tank twice a week at 40$ a tank, say its 15 gallens, thats 30 gallens a week, 10% of that is 3 gallens, 3 gallens at 2.80 a gallen, (rough estimate with inflation) thats 8.40$, it'd take only 29 weeks to pay for it's self. so with in the year it's paying for it's self, not a vast savings, but after that, that's 156 gallens a year though. 480$ anual savings.

as you can tell, i'm a very practical person, but i enjoy toys, and i enjoy cool stuff, but i keep i reason pracality with my self ot make the purchase worth it to me : P i have 2200$ in audio equitment and a 5000$ computer that i barley use anymore...see how that's been going for me :P

I do plan on a 220 amp alt, and a new batery in the future to keep up with my equitment, but i won't have my equitment in for a bit so that'll be a few months.

Last edited by eviling; 06-22-2010 at 07:24 PM.
Old 06-22-2010, 07:57 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

well i have a system too with about 2000 watts total or so, and i can still hear the engine over it, but its not always like that, idle is the same, its when you get on it that it can get pretty loud, so i wouldnt worry about that, i got my hid kit and it was like 40-50 bucks and theyre now like 35 and i havent had any problems with mine whatsoever, gotten a lot of compliments over the people with the expensive kits actually.

and you dont want the engine to be obnoxious but you have a pretty nice system? wtf?? lol jk

Old 06-22-2010, 08:07 PM
Photobucket

jbl c608 mkii's all around, eclipse cd7200 mkii, alpine PDX 1.1000, alpine PDX 4.150, polk 12" SR DVC driver. baby get's LOUDDDDDD louder than any human can tolerate, guarenteed :| i'll be honest though, the stock systems in the monte's are impressive, the bass is exceptional for 6" drivers, i even put in a disk with some frequency sweeps, and it was able to play almost every range my high end system could play..not as well of course, but hey you can't expect eveyrhting in a stock system :P the volume scaling is bad though, one twitch of the thumb and your all the way up lol there are 75 progression on my deck, there are like 10 on the stock monte deck. haha

Old 06-22-2010, 08:09 PM
10 Year Member

lmao, got a youtube page of all of this? im interested haha, my front speakers are cheaper but they sound AWESOME in my opinion haha

Old 06-22-2010, 08:27 PM
Photobucket

of the high end system/ yes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrKEEc7LYsU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AN-EcLp5tX0 ( rear speakers being tested in new boxes)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OoGKzu8ahBU (system before i put in the new deck from the first video i linkeD)

rear speaker deck (hand built ;-] )

amp setup

Last edited by eviling; 06-22-2010 at 08:33 PM.
Old 06-22-2010, 08:32 PM
10 Year Member

sent ya a friend request =], that doesnt look like a monte carlo =p

Old 06-22-2010, 08:38 PM
Photobucket

thats my old car haha. just got the monte this past saturday I havn't even been able to do a thing to it yet, i havn't even really done anything besides drive it, it runs, it drives like a beast, and everything works (except the damn sunroof seems to have a fault relay or togle switch )

i see we pretty much have the same car, except mines matalic silver and of course you've done some mods.+

Last edited by eviling; 06-22-2010 at 08:42 PM.
Old 06-22-2010, 08:39 PM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by eviling
thats my old car haha. just got the monte this past saturday
haha well congrats

Quick Reply: cold air intake on 04 monte