Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Clutch problems...

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2011, 06:33 AM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Question Clutch problems...

Hey all,

This isn't about my Monte, but don't have anywhere else to turn with it, and since it is GM maybe one of you folks has run into this with an older Monte, here goes.

Yesterday I finally got my Muncie into my '65 Impala, hooked everything up, new clutch, pressure, throw-out and pilot bearings, and Bellhousing. Connected the clutch linkage and adjusted it to proper lash. When I started the car, (which hasn't run in 2 years!), it fired right up, cool, not. Upon trying to shift into a gear, it would grind, so we shut it down, adjusted it a little more, now it kinda pulsates up throught the pedal accompanied by a grinding/grating sound, and trying to shift you get a hissing sound? Any ideas at all out there, very frustrating?!

Thank you,

Mike

Old 04-24-2011, 06:51 AM

Hi WarHouse,
Sounds like you have all the right new parts. Did you have a alignment tools for install ? Did you put in a New Clutch Fork ? Is it riding on your throw out bearing ?

I don't know if the below links will help or not, but I think it's worth a read to see `if it gives your any idea's to correct your problem..Hopefully one of our expert member will read & advise...Good Luck & Happy Easter.
Clutch Adjustment

====================================

Proper Clutch Adjustment
10 min - Mar 9, 2008
Uploaded by jackstransmissions
youtube.com

Clutch Adjustment Part I
4 min - Jun 29, 2007
Uploaded by clloyd234
youtube.com

Clutch Adjustment

This article will hopefully explain how to easily adjust the stock clutch in your Mustang. Many people think that all they can do is use the self-adjust ...
www.corral.net/tech/drivetrain/clutcha.htm - Cached - Similar

How to Adjust a Clutch | eHow.com

How to Adjust a Clutch. The clutch engages your engine to the transmission. Due to continual usage, the clutch parts can wear down, requiring that it be ...
www.ehow.com › Car Repair & Maintenance - Cached - Similar

All about Clutch

The position where the disengagement mechanism begins to take up therefore changes and the clutch mechanism must adjust to compensate. ...
www.indiacar.com/infobank/clutch.htm - Cached - Similar

[PDF] Clutch Adjustment Procedure

File Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat - Quick View
as a signal to indicate when a clutch adjustment is necessary. ... If correct clutch functioning is not restored after adjustment, follow the shop ...
www.valeoclutches.com/.../ClutchAdjustmentProcedurewithMechanicalReleaseSystem.pdf - Similar

Clutch Adjustment

Mar 6, 2011 ... the clutch disk, at a minimum needs to be replaced. No adjustment will make any difference. If you keep driving, the clutch will start to ...
www.cckw.org/clutch_adjustment.htm - Cached - Similar

Clutch Adjustment

To adjust the clutch you'll have to find the wing nut on the rear end of the cable. It's located on the upper right side of the transmission as your looking ...
www.vw-resource.com/clutch_adjust.html - Cached - Similar

Last edited by Space; 04-24-2011 at 06:57 AM.
Old 04-24-2011, 03:14 PM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Hey KidSpace!! Thanks for the reply and also the nice tutorials! I was just about to update my post when I saw you had replied already. After a few more trys at the clutch adjustment, I was able to finally get it to shift into all the gears, still need to test drive after some more fine tuning, as I live on a 150 foot driveway up a hill, wanna make sure I can get back up!! Was nice to finally get her out in the driveway and let it run awhile, pipes sound awesome!! So, it appears I'm on the right track, it's hard when so many parts are not stock, and the only thing left from before is the z-bar and flywheel, all else is new!! I'll keep you all updated, and thanks so much for the help!!

Mike