Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

CKP relearn without a Tech 2?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2018, 05:05 PM
1 Year Member
Default CKP relearn without a Tech 2?

Going to put in a new ckp sensor in this weekend. Plus a crankshaft seal, camshaft sensor and harmonic balancer. I don't have access to a Tech 2 scantool (just an Actron CP9190). Can I still do a relearn without the Tech 2? I just was wondering if anyone else has done a relearn, do you remember at what RPMs did the fuel cutoff occur? I have an 01 MC SS with the 3800

Old 06-01-2018, 12:41 AM

If you have an old Intel based laptop and are good with computers, for about 125 bucks you can buy the vxdiag vcx nano for GM. Its basically a generic GM MDI interface and comes with tech2win and the software for newer gm vehicles. The tis2000 software for SPS functions can be found online but is not necessary for crank relearn. It can be difficult to set up the software and get everything working but when you do it is now the same as the new dealer scan tool and totally worth it. It paid for itself in no time in trips I didn't have to take to the dealer. I was able to program my remotes without a factory radio. It really came in handy when installing my zzp pcm. I was able to use the tis2000 software to do a quick security relearn and the tech2win software is used for the crank relearn. Its come in handy for my other GM vechicles too. I even used it to do a crank relearn on a friends s10 after replacing the crank sensor. The live data also updates much faster than my actron Uscan or my bafx bluetooth adapter for torque app.

Last edited by Bradford; 06-01-2018 at 01:02 AM.
Old 06-01-2018, 03:59 AM
Location: 21 (3rd Floor), NWA , Punjabi Bagh Club Road, New Delhi – 110026

You need a scantool SnapOn/equivalent or a Tech2 to perform the relearn. AFAIK there is no way to do this without one.

Old 06-01-2018, 07:25 AM

I believe the aeroforce interceptor gauge and hptuners can also do it. If you are good with computers I would still recommend a generic GM MDI device like the vcxnano for gm. It is the cheapest device available that will do this but does require a compatible laptop and some computer know how. The tech2 is now discontinued by GM and you can only find chinese clones. The GM MDI is the new dealer scan tool. The tech2win software is the actual software that runs on the tech2 only running on windows with an MDI device.

Old 06-01-2018, 10:42 AM

Now that I think of it I believe there was a procedure where you could do it without a scantool. It was similar to a drive cycle procedure that had to be followed to the letter. However, from what I remember it was darn near impossible to perform unless you either lived on the shoulder of an interstate highway or have a dyno in your garage. That's why I just went ahead and purchased a device capable of doing it. Most professional bidirectional scan tools (expensive) can do it I think. Your best bet may be to ask some local small shops if they can do it. It would probably be cheaper than the dealer. Although I have heard from a few people that just showed up at the dealer without calling and got it done free. It only takes like two minutes with the scantool. Good luck with that though. They usually want a $100 diagnostic fee just for plugging it in. Or you could see if there is someone local on the forum that could do it for you. Your not in the RI area are you?

Last edited by Bradford; 06-01-2018 at 11:07 AM.
Old 07-07-2018, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by Bradford
If you have an old Intel based laptop and are good with computers, for about 125 bucks you can buy the vxdiag vcx nano for GM. Its basically a generic GM MDI interface and comes with tech2win and the software for newer gm vehicles. The tis2000 software for SPS functions can be found online but is not necessary for crank relearn. It can be difficult to set up the software and get everything working but when you do it is now the same as the new dealer scan tool and totally worth it. It paid for itself in no time in trips I didn't have to take to the dealer. I was able to program my remotes without a factory radio. It really came in handy when installing my zzp pcm. I was able to use the tis2000 software to do a quick security relearn and the tech2win software is used for the crank relearn. Its come in handy for my other GM vechicles too. I even used it to do a crank relearn on a friends s10 after replacing the crank sensor. The live data also updates much faster than my actron Uscan or my bafx bluetooth adapter for torque app.
Not to derail, but I would like to know more. I would love to be able to do more dealer/ tech2 - level diagnostics. Thanks in advance!

Old 07-12-2018, 10:29 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by carkhz316
Not to derail, but I would like to know more. I would love to be able to do more dealer/ tech2 - level diagnostics. Thanks in advance!

The Chinese tech II knock offs are pretty cheap these days ($300-$400). They are good up to a 2014 GM vehicle.