Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Changed the valve cover gaskets...

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 02:07 PM
Default Changed the valve cover gaskets...

So the other day i had to change the valve cover gaskets on my 04 SS NA and i ended up doing the back one 3 times and it seems its still leaking a bit of oil off the back side... Problem is trying to get that stupid cover under the wiring harness that rests over it without smudging the RTV . had to use RTV due to the felpro gasket not helping worth S***. It expanded or stretched in a couple places the first time i put it on and oil just went around it... ANY SUGGESTIONS!?!?! Also my car seems to be running a little rougher than usual now.... I put new spark plugs and basic plug wires... And it happened after all this so i went back plugs seems to have a bit of white residue (Cleaned with brake parts cleaner wiped dry than reinstalled) White usually means running lean correct? If so why would i be running lean without trippen a check light or anything. This weekend doing it all again cause it would also seem that the ninety degree upper coolent elbow is seeping a little now... *Of course* Hit 87k and its all starting to go downhill lol! HELP! Oh and replaced my wheel bearings on the front got front wheels aligned and i still have a shudder around 55-65 mph.... and a binding of sorts when i accelerate and brake hard or turn hard left or right... Its not a constant... just happens... this all started over the weekend!!!!! Im losing my mind! Any ideas?

Old 10-06-2010, 04:52 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2012
Monte Of The Month -- December 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Wow. How many miles do you have? You replaced the valve cover gaskets and it still leaked? Make sure your valve cover screws are tight, and have a clean mating surface.

You are running lean - go ahead and do a tune up. New fuel filter, oil & filter, check all your vacuum lines, clean the EGR.

Those coolant elbows aren't too bad. Just gotta take off/move the alternator and loosen the PS bracket. Make sure you get the rest of the old elbow out of the intake (they like to break off in there).

As for the shuddering...I have no clue. Maybe the steering rack? Caliper loose? Bent rim? Lack of grease in the CV's?

Old 10-06-2010, 07:42 PM

I just redid bearings because of the vibration had wheels balanced three times if they were bent they would have said something no ? Think the binding could be bushings or something in suspension ? I'm ordering new elbows think there leaking from me takin them off so much also ordering shorter arms to roll motor forward an inch so it's easier to get back there just needed to vent do I need to put anything on new elbows or just pop them in ? Finally got valve cover to seal still leaking a little not to much just goin to put a little r t v and retighten later tonight where is the egr valve at ?

Old 10-07-2010, 04:15 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2012
Monte Of The Month -- December 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

The elbows are straightforward. Remove the old, pop in the new. The EGR is attached to the right side of the lower intake manifold and the rear exhaust manifold. You can't miss it.

Old 10-07-2010, 05:05 PM

ive had trouble with valve cover gaskets. in worst cases i put sealer on the gaskets and tied them with string to the valve covers through the holes. in order to keep them in on place.

Old 10-09-2010, 11:55 PM

Right on yea looked at rear cover again today and it's still leaking a little frustrating as hell but at least it not dumping hopin by Rollin engine forward with new dogbones will keep the oil from comin out the back by havin it more level. It's that or just try re- sealing it when elbows come in and I'll have to take it apart for those. Thanks for the impute and help everyone