Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Car won't start now

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2010, 02:37 PM
Default Car won't start now

I bought a 99 Monte Carlo (3.1 V6) to use as my everyday car. Engine light comes on and the code is "#5 Cylinder Misfire" (I dont remember the Pcode)...I had just previously changed out the Plugs, Coils, Wires, Fuel Filter, PCV valve, and Air Filter...So I figured the Fuel injector on that side needs replaced, grabbed one from the junk-yard, and ever since then the car will not start. So i put the old injector in and same thing, wont start. I checked all the Vacuum lines and they are hooked up. When I disconnect the MAF sensor the car will start, However, it idles at 3,00RPM's, kinda hard to drive with it like that....But as soon as I plug the MAF back in the car instantly dies, wont start and stay running with the MAF in....So I bought a remanufactured MAF sensor thinking the MAF was bengalized (yes I am a Bengals fan and we suck this year, again lol) so I hook the new MAF up and same old thing except now the engine light is off, I had disconnected the battery for a few mins...Any ideas what else it could be???? I installed a new Fuel Pressure Regulator a few days back thinking that was the problem....I am getting pressure to the injectors....When I start the car with the MAF plugged in, I will keep my foot on the gas and let it run at 1RPM and it sounds/feels like is MIs-firing bad, the plug Ignition Coil order is right and they are new too....Any Suggestions other than going out and buying a 05 CTS-V? haha I guess the MAF I bought could be bad...Any ideas please let me know....Ben

Old 12-11-2010, 05:59 PM

i have a question did you have the battery disconnected when you replaced the coils and the other sensors? i know the sensors are finiky like that i had to replace the coil on mine because i didnt disconect the battery i had to replace it twice due to the same thing i had to replace the maf and the coil pack mine is a brick so it was expencive. the other thing is how did it run when you replaced the fuel and air filters as well. i found out i had a bad map sensor when i replaced the other two items i replaced when i did my tune up.

Old 12-11-2010, 07:45 PM

Hey, thanks for the reply,..I cant remember if I disconnected the battery or not, I want to say I did, I know when I replaced the injector I did...the car ran good after the fuel and air filters where changed, what prompted me to to change the injector was my MPG dropped from 29 to 25.....Does the Monte's have a MAP and a MAF sensor?

Old 12-11-2010, 09:22 PM

I'd go back through and double check every single electrical connection that you touched. It's possible that you missed something that could be causing the issue (it's easy to do, or possibly something else got disconnected while you were working on it).

I personally would go for the cts-v, but I'd get the Monte running again first

Old 12-11-2010, 10:17 PM

yeah I plan to, its just mind boggling.....But I am gonna tear it back down and start over....if anything else comes to mind please let me know!

Old 12-12-2010, 02:58 AM

Would a bad "Cam-shaft" sensor cause the problems I am experiencing?

Old 12-12-2010, 05:51 AM

s
Originally Posted by Aslan
Would a bad "Cam-shaft" sensor cause the problems I am experiencing?

I hope that one of our Expert Tech Member's reads about your problem & can assist...Good Luck
Below is infor from a Google's Search...I hope it explains about the CamShaft Sensor:

CAM SHAFT POSITION SENSOR

The cam shaft sensor is a sensor that feeds information to the computer as to the position of the cam shaft so that it knows when to add fuel. ...
autobizweb.com/partsdeptgen/cam_shaft_sensor.htm - Cached - Similar

Answers.com - What is a cam sensor and how do you know when it is ...

What are some signs the cam shaft sensor is going bad? ... Would cam sensor affect ignition timing? What happens when cam shaft sensor is going bad? ...
wiki.answers.com › ... › Computer HardwareWebcams - Cached - Similar

How to replace a camshaft position sensor in your vehicle.

- 2 min - Jul 28, 2009 - Uploaded by scottykilmer
Emmy Award winning mechanic and car talk expert Scotty Kilmer shows how to change a camshaft position sensor in your vehicle. For more ...
www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_uAnQFjTI4 - more videos »

Get more video results

Camshaft Position Sensor -

Camshaft Position Sensor - Standard Motor Products, Inc. supplies camshaft posistion sensors to the aftermarket for the engine management of cars, trucks, ...
www.autobarn.net/camshaft-position-sensor.html - Cached - Similar

OBD-II Trouble Code: P0340 Camshaft Position Sensor Circuit ...

This indicates that a problem was detected in the camshaft position sensor circuit. Since it says circuit, that means the problem could lie in any part of ...
www.obd-codes.com/p0340 - Cached - Similar

Camshaft sensor

A camshaft is an auto part used in piston engines to operate valves called poppet valves. Camshaft sensors worked as a part of that mechanism.
www.cartechautoparts.com/camshaft-sensor/ - Cached

Old 12-12-2010, 11:56 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2012
Monte Of The Month -- December 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Make sure all your plugs/wires are in there good. **** happens sometimes. But I wouldn't have bought a reman MAF... If the car runs with the MAF unplugged, and dies when plugged in, the MAF is bad. Bring that sensor back and look online, ebay, gmpartsdirect, or go to your stealership and get one.