Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

car starts but smokes?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2014, 05:49 PM
1 Year Member
Default car starts but smokes?

so after changing damn near every sensor and every part of my fueling ignition system, my car started. she runs good, sounds good, has good fuel pressure, good coolant level, and good oil level temp and pressure. but after running a while my exhaust starts to smoke. they are not smoking alot but there is white smoke coming out my tips. i checked the oil and there was no coolant or water in it. my dad thinks its a blown head gasket. anyone have the same problem?

Old 07-28-2014, 06:13 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2012
Monte Of The Month -- December 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Could be moisture built up in the exhaust, but it is also possible that the head gasket and/or LIM gaskets are failing. Just make sure the car doesn't overheat and keep an eye on your fluid levels.

Old 07-28-2014, 09:47 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I would say lower intake gaskets failed before head gaskets failed. Have good heat?

Old 07-29-2014, 08:23 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by nitehawkjcb
Could be moisture built up in the exhaust, but it is also possible that the head gasket and/or LIM gaskets are failing. Just make sure the car doesn't overheat and keep an eye on your fluid levels.

This is what I was thinking also. You also have to remember that the temperature difference between the exhaust and ambient temperature will create white 'smoke'. Just to be on the safe side though, I would conduct a cooling system pressure test. If you have a bad intake or head gasket you will see the pressure reading decrease as the pressure escapes.

Old 11-16-2014, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by BrandonStebing
so after changing damn near every sensor and every part of my fueling ignition system, my car started. she runs good, sounds good, has good fuel pressure, good coolant level, and good oil level temp and pressure. but after running a while my exhaust starts to smoke. they are not smoking alot but there is white smoke coming out my tips. i checked the oil and there was no coolant or water in it. my dad thinks its a blown head gasket. anyone have the same problem?
Go to the parts store and rent (or buy) an Engine Block Tester. Autozone has one to rent out for $25, it is part number 27145, and you also have to get the Block Test Fluid. Here is the link to video of a guy showing how to use it
. I just got done replacing the lower intake manifold gaskets on my 2000 Monte Carlo; only to find out that the head gaskets are shot. I did not want to assume this, so I rented the kit and confirmed it. Now I will have to tear this engine down again and do it all over to get to the heads. Good luck to you and I hope you all have a great day.

Last edited by familymobile; 11-16-2014 at 05:15 PM. Reason: forgot to put link in: Here it is >
Old 11-17-2014, 07:15 AM
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by familymobile
Go to the parts store and rent (or buy) an Engine Block Tester. Autozone has one to rent out for $25, it is part number 27145, and you also have to get the Block Test Fluid. Here is the link to video of a guy showing how to use it How to Test Head Gasket - YouTube . I just got done replacing the lower intake manifold gaskets on my 2000 Monte Carlo; only to find out that the head gaskets are shot. I did not want to assume this, so I rented the kit and confirmed it. Now I will have to tear this engine down again and do it all over to get to the heads. Good luck to you and I hope you all have a great day.
i fixed this quite some time ago, i turns out my lower intake gaskets took a **** and over heated and warped my upper intake. its all good now acutally getting ready to tear it apart to do a series 3 top swap with the gen v m90 thanks for the info tho thats a good idea i didnt think about that

Old 11-17-2014, 09:21 AM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Good to know you have it figured out...
Generally its a good idea to change both the upper and lower intake manifold gaskets at the sametime..

I too had to learn this lesson the hard way...