Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Cam or Swap?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 09:51 AM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Cam or Swap?

I've been cruising around the site and i keep hearing about this L67 Top Swap. I'm assuming thats adding the supercharger and everything that goes with it? $1000 isn't bad. Is that super charger loud or is it a quieter one?

And has anybody swapped cams in there monte? I have a 2001 SS limited edition and am thinking about a different cam. I want it more for the sound but some added performance would be nice as well. Any recommendations or videos or your exhuast?

Which of those two should I do first?

Old 11-22-2008, 10:13 AM
Default RE: Cam or Swap?

I've seen top swaps pulled off for $500-750 before if you are patient with finding used parts as they come.

Basically, you are replacing the heads on up from your engine with L67 ones.

The supercharger is pretty loud- search on youtube for L67 blower whine or grand prix blower whine, and you can hear what it sounds like- they all sound about the same. Some with small pullies are a bit louder/different pitch, but you'll get the idea.

A new cam is a real PITA to install, and you have to decide which route you're going to go. An NA cam will not work with an SC setup. The NA cams are much more lopey, and would bleed off too much boost on a supercharged setup. So IMO- decide which route you're going to go first, and then get a cam for that setup.

Are you asking for a cam video? Here is a crappy one I made awhile ago: (ignore all our troubleshooting footage, we have since got the problems fixed with help from those on the forums, but there are a couple good seconds of idle clips in there)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpO7z6L5Rqc

Old 11-23-2008, 05:13 PM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Thanks man, I think I'll probably go with the L67 maybe as a summer project and find the parts as they come. I really didnt want a loud SC but owell. That video was nice your exhaust was real deep..pretty much eactly what im looking for. I had a cam in mind i liked but i dont think it'll work with the SC. Thanks again.

Old 11-24-2008, 04:16 PM

If you want to quiet the supercharger, then buy a stock intake airbox off a 99+ grand prix or newer monte. The stock airbox eliminates 99% of the s/c noise.

It is more fun w/ the noise though