Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Brown sludge in the radiator?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 03:23 PM
Default Brown sludge in the radiator?

Well I went to drop in some more coolant cause the low coolent light came on for the 3rd time this year.. Which has me worried! Now I see a lot of brown sludge in the reservoir! And in the radiator! I have no coolent leaks anywhere that I can see. And there's isn't coolant in the oil. So should have just have it flushed or is it something more serious? I probably already answered my own question. I'm gonna start with flushing it this week. And then go from there!

Old 02-14-2012, 03:29 PM

Good plan - flush it good a few times. You using the green or pink stuff?

Old 02-14-2012, 03:32 PM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Flush it and use regular coolant not the Dexcool crap!

Old 02-14-2012, 03:36 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Flush it and keep Dexcool since you probably won't get all the old dex out.

Dexcool turns to sludge when it gets low, or air hits it, or it breaks down over time. Just keep up on the regular maintenance and Dex is OKAY.

You are probably getting the low coolant light because the sensor is dirty. You can HONESTLY just disconnect the sensor and not worry about it and the light won't come on ever again. Just keep an eye on your fluids like the good ol' days.

Mine is disconnected, it went bad, I don't feel like paying the money for a new sensor lol.

Old 02-14-2012, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
Flush it and keep Dexcool since you probably won't get all the old dex out.

Dexcool turns to sludge when it gets low, or air hits it, or it breaks down over time. Just keep up on the regular maintenance and Dex is OKAY.

You are probably getting the low coolant light because the sensor is dirty. You can HONESTLY just disconnect the sensor and not worry about it and the light won't come on ever again. Just keep an eye on your fluids like the good ol' days.

Mine is disconnected, it went bad, I don't feel like paying the money for a new sensor lol.
I'm TOTALLY guilty of doing this on a Chevy Venture minivan I had. And yes, the intake gaskets were freshly replaced and it wasn't overheating or anything like that.

Old 02-14-2012, 03:52 PM

Allright that sounds good. I'm using green coolant but i have only had the car for the past 13k miles so who knows whats all been put in it! hmm I may disconnect it, I'll just have to keep a better eye on the reservoir then!

Old 02-14-2012, 05:21 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

As everyone said, flush it. Also, there is no harm going back to Dex Cool these days. The old DeathCool myths is old nonesense IMO. No matter what coolant you choose, it DOES need flushed from time to time. And as for Dex destroying the nylon gaskets, crap, then explain all the nylon gaskets I've seen destroyed by "trusty green". Nylon was a horrible gasket choice, that's the real problem.

Old 02-14-2012, 07:27 PM

CHIBI where is that sensor located I need to unplug mine quick !

Old 02-14-2012, 09:48 PM

On my Venture it was on the passenger side of the radiator, toward the top, facing in toward the engine.

Old 02-15-2012, 08:13 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by KJRich
On my Venture it was on the passenger side of the radiator, toward the top, facing in toward the engine.
BINGO. I also then tucked the wire.

Quick Reply: Brown sludge in the radiator?