Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Best and cheapest mods

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 01:25 AM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by bumpin96monte
Not trying to be rude here- but have you tried searching?

Asking what beginner mods someone can do to an L67 has most certainly been covered to death, and asking people to post as many as mods as we can- are you wanting someone just to copy and paste the list of mods sold by the major vendors?

Realistically though, you don't provide enough information anyways- 'cheap' is a very relative term- what is cheap to one person, will be expensive to another- so you'll need to quantify that a little better. Also, we need to know your goals with the car- what ultimate power level are you shooting for, etc. We don't want to list entry level mods- if your ultimate goal for the car would require replacing them later with something better (ie powerlog for headers, or rockers for a cam, etc).

Try doing some searching around first, and if you still have questions- feel free to post them up!
This.

Search around please, there's a TON of threads on this information. At least one with all the information that you need and it's stickied.

Also note, when looking for performance mods, Grand Prixs have the same engines and basically all engine mods will transfer over, whether it's an L36 or L67.

Originally Posted by SS Supercharged LA
What can u do when it comes to weight reduction without makin a car look ugly like without seats n that kinda thing?
Not a whole lot, there are small things, like fiberglass hoods or lighter rims. But with these cars not a whole lot. Also, the interior won't make a HUGE difference, the seats aren't super heavy to where it should matter in a street car, I could understand if it's a drag queen, but not necessary or really beneficial in a street car.

Last edited by red04montels; 05-14-2012 at 01:28 AM.
Old 05-14-2012, 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by SS Supercharged LA
What can u do when it comes to weight reduction without makin a car look ugly like without seats n that kinda thing?
front & rear bumper supports, spare tire, jack, on*, XM, evap, EGR, unnecessary brackets and shields in the engine bay, lighter wheels and tires (makes a big difference), changing to an l36 flywheel and torque converter (also makes a big difference) lighter body panels (hood, fenders etc.), lexan windows, airbags, windshield washer reservoir pump and lines, even air conditioning if you like 100 a/c like me

you might also consider doing a 3.29 chain and gear set swap, only do this if you spend most of your time below 70 mph

Last edited by 2003L67SS; 05-14-2012 at 11:34 PM.
Old 05-15-2012, 12:01 AM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by 2003L67SS
front & rear bumper supports, spare tire, jack, on*, XM, evap, EGR, unnecessary brackets and shields in the engine bay, lighter wheels and tires (makes a big difference), changing to an l36 flywheel and torque converter (also makes a big difference) lighter body panels (hood, fenders etc.), lexan windows, airbags, windshield washer reservoir pump and lines, even air conditioning if you like 100 a/c like me

you might also consider doing a 3.29 chain and gear set swap, only do this if you spend most of your time below 70 mph
Most of those things are there for a reason on a car, especially if it's going to be a daily driver. I can understand replacing some supports and stuff with lighter material if it was strictly a drag vehicle, but I think it may be doing too much for a street or daily driven vehicle.

The wheels moreso than the tires will make a big difference on these cars though without sacrificing reliability. If you want performance tires you really can't be picky with the weights.

So on a daily driven vehicle out of the things you listed I think it would be smart to look into removing the spare tire (put it back in if you're going on long trips out of town), different tires and rims and maybe the EGR, although you will probably lose some MPG if you remove the EGR.

I really hope you kept your airbags, those things are life savers, i'll never drive a vehicle without them lol

Old 05-15-2012, 01:02 AM

headers, u bend delete, cold air inductions CAI instead of K&N cus K&N suck, cat back, and a tune. should give you ood numbers after that. That is the first mods posted on another 100 forums.

Old 05-16-2012, 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by trewyn15
Most of those things are there for a reason on a car, especially if it's going to be a daily driver. I can understand replacing some supports and stuff with lighter material if it was strictly a drag vehicle, but I think it may be doing too much for a street or daily driven vehicle.

The wheels moreso than the tires will make a big difference on these cars though without sacrificing reliability. If you want performance tires you really can't be picky with the weights.

So on a daily driven vehicle out of the things you listed I think it would be smart to look into removing the spare tire (put it back in if you're going on long trips out of town), different tires and rims and maybe the EGR, although you will probably lose some MPG if you remove the EGR.

I really hope you kept your airbags, those things are life savers, i'll never drive a vehicle without them lol
i have done every one of the ones i listed with the exception of lexan windows, which i am doing this summer, been looking at some fiberglass fenders and lighter buckets/5 point harnesses too. and as for airbags, i could care less 90% of the cars i like don't have them anyway.

Old 05-17-2012, 12:55 AM

lexans a bad choice. it breaks into shards. It doesnt break like regular car glass. Well even regular saftey glass can break into shards buts its safer then lexan. Superlite billet 3 piece rims are like 10 lbs light per wheel then most other wheels and they look good prob is they are like $500 a wheel and need to be shipped from brittan.

Last edited by Mr Grizzly Mint; 05-17-2012 at 12:57 AM.
Old 05-17-2012, 09:40 PM

front & rear bumper supports, spare tire, jack, evap, EGR, lexan windows, airbags
So you end up with a car that gets worse gas mileage (from the EGR delete), won't pass emissions, does worse in a crash (especially if you're talking about removing the metal bumper supports, not just the foam), and that you need to call for help every time you have a flat?

On a DD IMO that's a bad idea- especially screwing with crash safety parts. If you get in a wreck, and the car ends up with more serious than normal damage- and the insurance rep sees that you stripped some of that stuff out- I'd bet it would be questionable if they would cover it. I'd also imagine they're giving you a discount on airbags too- and if they're removed, then you've breached the contract.

Honestly, especially having a nearly stock L67- there is much more performance to be had at stock weight for cheap without gutting the car.

If you're going to go crazy with weight mods- there are much lighter platforms to start with- pick up a Honda hatch or something and gut the heck out of it.

Old 05-17-2012, 10:01 PM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by 2003L67SS
i have done every one of the ones i listed with the exception of lexan windows, which i am doing this summer, been looking at some fiberglass fenders and lighter buckets/5 point harnesses too. and as for airbags, i could care less 90% of the cars i like don't have them anyway.
You do realize that the airbags are there to keep you safe right?

It'd be different again if it was a drag car that was caged, with a racing seat and you were always wearing a helmet, but that's not the case.

Demo Car Crash With and Without Airbags - YouTube

Old 05-17-2012, 10:58 PM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013

The k&n filter isn't enclosed enough to seal it from the engine compartment also its not insulated so you could mod the one you have or get a different one. Like a cold air inductions one. And unless your building a pure strip car I wouldn't reduce the weight by removing anything. especially safety equipment.