Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

AWD conversion

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2013, 08:38 PM
1 Year Member
Default AWD conversion

Hey everyone, so I was just over at the LS1tech forums in the LS4 section and there is talk of the possibility of doing a conversion with the Versatrak system which essentially makes your car AWD when the front wheels are slipping. Its used in cars like the Aztek, Rendezvous, and a few mini vans. I just wanted to bring it over to this forum to maybe give people ideas. I'm for sure going to be looking into this and see if it is even possible on the LS4. Let me know what you guys think and if you even think it is possible. If something like this could be made possible, that would open up all kinds of things we could now do to our Monte's because the traction issue would be more or less fixed.

Old 10-09-2013, 09:14 PM

the idea has been floating around for a long time, but those trans dont handle power very well. and are not a true 4wd anyway. for the cost of parts and fab your better off getting a built trans and calling it a day.

Old 10-10-2013, 07:38 AM

Id imagine id rip my lil tranny apart..sheesh.

Old 10-12-2013, 12:37 AM

Since the Versatrak is a 4t65, it'll bolt up just fine to the engine. Problem is- that's the smallest detail of the build. Now you need a driveshaft, rear end, rear axles, and rear drive hubs. I would bet none of which are a simple bolt on for a wbody.

Assuming you do all that, now you've got all this great traction, and a transmission that still can't hold the power. Even fully built- they don't hold up great to heavy drag use on slicks FWD- I can't imagine what a hard launch with 4 slicks would do. You'd definitely need the GM 1" chain upgrade- and that one single piece alone is way over $1000 for the chain and both sprockets. You've got to think what kind of vehicles the versatrak was used in - minivans, small SUVs, and whatever you call the aztek. None of those are performance vehicles- none of those came with engines that made squat for power, and the most AWD use any of them likely ever saw was a dirt trail or snowy roads.

It's just not even remotely practical. For the time and money you'd have into it- it would be cheaper and easier to go buy an EVO or GSX.

For those that haven't seen the trans before- here's a pic in an ebay ad:

4T65E Transmission Versatrak All Wheel Drive Nice | eBay

Last edited by bumpin96monte; 10-12-2013 at 12:41 AM.
Old 10-12-2013, 04:17 AM

it would be quit unique but I do agree it would be a lot of work. not just that not truly knowing how it would hold up. to the hp out put for majority that has a lot of work to there engines. I think it would work for the 3.5 monte but other than that. I would go with a built 4t65e for the dd and reliability of one for a engine swap. its my own opinion