Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

What do you prefer: FWD-RWD-AWD ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 12:18 PM
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default What do you prefer: FWD-RWD-AWD ?

Please `vote above ..Thanks
[:-]
What do you prefer:
FWD or RWD or AWD

Comparison Test: Front-Wheel Drive Vs. Rear-Wheel Drive
[align=center]Which is better: front- or rear-wheel drive?
[/align]
BY BEN STEWART
[align=center][/align]
[color=#000000][size=5][color=#0000ff]
[align=center][/align][align=center][/align]
Over the lion's share of the automobile's history, most cars had an internal-combustion engine in front of the driver powering the wheels in back of him. But the fuel crises of the 1970s changed that. Manufacturers scrambled to save weight to save fuel, and they adopted assorted variations of the front-engine/front-drive layout. With all of the drivetrain components under the hood, cars became smaller and lighter and still had adequate interior room. Plus, with the engine over the drivewheels, traction improved too. Today, the majority of family cars are front-drive.
Through it all, cars meant to be driven fast for fun have been steadfastly rear-drive. But all the while, drivers of less exotic front-drive sedans have taunted the rear-drive advocates with the front-drive's superior wet-weather traction and stability.
Lately there has been a resurgence of rear-wheel-drive family cars. And, their makers claim better traction and handling than front-drive models, thanks to sophisticated electronics.
Have traction and stability control systems rendered the whole push versus pull argument moot? To find out, we gathered pairs of 4-cylinder, 6-cylinder and 8-cylinder sedans. One in each pair had front-wheel drive, the other rear. We ran them through our normal battery of performance tests. Then, we soaked the track and repeated all the tests to replicate the conditions you would face on a rain-slick road.
Here's what we found.
[align=center][/align][center]Page 1 2345[URL=http://www.popularmechanics.com/automotive/new_cars/1266931.html?page=2]Next ยป[/l

Old 03-25-2008, 12:25 PM
Default RE: What do you prefer: FWD-RWD-AWD ?

Rear for the win.

I grew up with RWD and I know it's harder to get traction with in the snow/ice, but I don't care, there's just some part of me that likes that back wheels to push and the fronts to turn.

Old 03-25-2008, 12:46 PM

[align=center]
Hi Garrett, I also like the RWD
especially `burnout's : )
The controversy has gone on for decades: which is better - front wheel drive or rear wheel drive? We used to have predominately rear wheel drive (RWD) automobiles on the road, but by the late 1970's, front wheel drive (FWD) vehicles were beginning to dominate. While the majority of current passenger cars are still front wheel drive, rear wheel drive vehicles are becoming more common. For example, Infiniti has gone back to RWD on their G35 model, and Cadillac has RWD on their new CTS model. So what are the advantages and disadvantages of each drive system?
Let's look at front wheel drive first, as it is most common. Reduced cost: that is often the reason manufacturers design and build the way they do. FWD systems are cheaper to manufacture and install than RWD systems. There is no driveshaft or rear axle housing to build. The transmission and differential are located in one housing and less parts are needed. It also makes it easier for the designers to locate other parts beneath the vehicle, such as brake lines, fuel lines, and exhaust system.
Reduced weight is another advantage. Lowering a vehicle's weight improves acceleration, braking, and fuel economy. Traction is improved by having the weight of the engine and transaxle over the drive wheels. This is a big advantage on slippery roads.

A big advantage of FWD is interior space. No large bumps in the floorpan are required to accommodate mechanical parts. Look at current Honda Civics, and you will find great rear seat room in a small vehicle because of a flat floor pan. With no rear differential, trunk space can also be increased.
The disadvantages of FWD are mainly the decrease in vehicle handling ability. With more weight over the front of the automobile, the back end tends to become very light. Rear tire traction is decreased and the car may swap ends on icy roads easier. This has been overcome by designers somewhat by placing as much weight as possible further back in the vehicle. Ideal weight distribution is often described as 50/50 front to rear, but FWD cars seldom get near this.
Another disadvantage is the load placed on the front tires. They must transfer all acceleration, steering, cornering, and braking forces to the road. The tires have only a finite amount of grip, so using some of it for acceleration must decrease it in other areas. The rear tires have very little load on them and are basically only along for the ride. This is why accomplished FWD racers say "put the gas to the floor and steer - the rear will follow".
All the disadvantages of FWD systems are advantages of RWD vehicles. With some of the mechanical parts removed from the front and installed at the rear, vehicle balance and handling are much improved. Using the rear tires for acceleration traction takes the load off the front, so drivers accelerating out of a corner have much more lateral grip. RWD is used on all the world's fastest road course race cars and many performance production vehicles for this reason.
Repair costs are another advantage of RWD systems. Although costs vary greatly by make and model, if you have transmission problems with a RWD vehicle, the cost of differential repair is not required, as it might be on a FWD system. The reliability of FWD cars has increased so much over the decades, that this might not be a big concern.
[b]Disadvantages of RWD are higher assembly and production costs, more parts to have problems with, and

Old 03-25-2008, 03:32 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2008

I know there are a lot of RWD lovers here.

But......the 5-6-7 Generation Montes would totally kill in a AWD.

Old 03-25-2008, 03:45 PM

ORIGINAL: SolaraSlayer

I know there are a lot of RWD lovers here.

But......the 5-6-7 Generation Montes would totally kill in a AWD.
I agree, only time I've ever driven AWD was in pickups so I don't know how a car would handle, but I bet it would be pretty sweet and I'd take it over just FWD.

Old 03-25-2008, 04:15 PM

It's just amaz'in what one can find & learn
on the MCF

[size=2]
How many driven wheels does a vehicle really need? The proliferation of SUVs on America's highways and byways over the last ten years would suggest that two simply isn't enough. But what exactly are the advantages of four-wheel drive (or all-wheel drive) versus front-wheel drive and rear-wheel drive?
First of all, before we're "driven" to confusion by all of this terminology, let's lay a few ground rules. In most automotive circles (and for the purposes of this discussion) the following acronyms will hold true:
[blockquote]
AWD = all-wheel drive
4WD = four-wheel drive
RWD = rear-wheel drive
FWD = front-wheel drive
[/blockquote]
Each of these drive systems has its own advantages and disadvantages which I'll cover in greater detail.
Since the majority of vehicles sold today are front-wheel drive, we'll start here. As the name suggests, FWD vehicles use only the front wheels to deliver power from the engine to the pavement. While relatively rare on the streets of America during the first half of the 20th century, FWD cars now account for approximately 70 percent of new car offerings. Why the recent switch from RWD to FWD in new cars? Well, since most vehicles carry their engines up front, it is a simpler task to get that engine power to the driven wheels when they are both on the same end of the car. Essentially, you turn the engine sideways and connect a short driveshaft between either side of the engine and the two front wheels. Less distance and fewer parts between the engine and the driven wheels means less horsepower loss through mechanical inefficiency. Additionally, fewer parts means reduced production costs and, ultimately, a lower sticker price. One final advantage of FWD is that it puts the engine weight directly over the driven wheels which can improve traction on slippery or snow-packed roads.
Despite its practical advantages, FWD has several disadvantages when related to vehicle performance. First of all, since vehicle weight shifts to the rear of a car during hard acceleration, FWD cars will always be fighting a losing battle when it comes to straight-line acceleration. Handling performance also suffers on FWD platforms since the option of using "throttle-induced oversteer" or sliding the rear end doesn't exist (unless you get really creative with the emergency brake).
In the end FWD is a very practical way to power a vehicle but its inherent design is contradictory to performance. Look at it this way: Your car came with four wheels, why put the stress of steering, braking, and acceleration on only two of them?
[center][font="arial, helvetica"][size=2][b]Take everything I just said about FWD cars and reverse it for RWD cars. Performance goes up because now the two rear wheels handle the duties of acceleration, leaving the f

Old 03-25-2008, 04:59 PM

each has its advantages but I like rear for fun

Old 03-25-2008, 05:04 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

the one thing that i wish was different on Monte's.... RWD

Old 03-25-2008, 08:55 PM

i've always been a fan of FWD. especially on a heavier car. with that said i voted AWD. i've driven a few eagle talons and a trailblazer SS and loved it. i can only dream of an AWD monte carlo

Old 03-25-2008, 09:07 PM

Specifically, for the Monte: I'd prefer RWD! Would make getting things done under the hood and other Mods a ... WHOLE lot easier!

Other than my Monte: AWD ... Face it. It snows here. The roads get B-A-D. All wheel drive is the way to handle winter driving.

Hot Rod: RWD. Endless options for building your own driveline. Options for trannys. Options for engines. Options for options. Still more stuff to add or change-out!

Quick Reply: What do you prefer: FWD-RWD-AWD ?