Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Any Top swap instructions?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2011, 07:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Any Top swap instructions?

I'm debating if I should top swap my 02 3800 ss or do the zzp turbo, nut from what I'm reading top swap is a lot cheaper. What I need is what needs to be swapped and where is the best place to search for parts I'm assuming junk yards? Like car-parts.com or would zz have it

Thanks

Old 07-25-2011, 01:40 PM

I'm debating if I should top swap my 02 3800 ss or do the zzp turbo, nut from what I'm reading top swap is a lot cheaper.
A top swap is a lot cheaper, but also makes less power and has a lot less potential.

For top swap instructions- all you really need to do is follow a normal repair manual for these cars/engines. Tear the top end of the engine down to the block, and put it back together in reverse order using the new parts. Then you'll just have to swap balancers, and add the new pulleys.

What I need is what needs to be swapped and where is the best place to search for parts I'm assuming junk yards? Like car-parts.com or would zz have it
Junk yards are usually a bad place IMO. If you find a reasonable yard, and are just picking up the heads, intake, etc- they don't seem to be too bad- but a lot of them get stupid with the pricing on the supercharger. From what I've seen locally, the yards don't have a lot of GTP's and such, so their supercharger parts go for much higher than they normally would.

Best bet is to look around on the forums, they are sold all the time on clubgp. Heck, I even found a kit in the classifieds on this forum:

https://montecarloforum.com/forum/pr...t-offer-29769/

If you absolutely need a kit ASAP and don't have time to look for parts on your own (and don't mind paying a lot more)- then you can get a kit from wbs:

W Body Store