Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

6th Gen ('00-'05): Any Tips for Replacing Stock M90 for a Ported M90?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2019, 12:56 PM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Any Tips for Replacing Stock M90 for a Ported M90?

Hey Forum,

I've posted here before with help / requesting tips for the full exhaust replacement, and it turned out extremely well. Got the help I needed, but more importantly, the confidence to do it.

I'm assuming this will be much easier to do than a full exhaust replacement, but wanted to hear what everyone had to say. I did watch the below video about a year ago and thought it was probably the best thing on how to do it, from what I could find.

I have a ported M90 I bought off of Ebay, looks clean and is ready to put on. I had a few questions as well, if I can get some answers:

Once I put on the ported M90, along with a new (or used) Northstar V8 throttle body, can I still be able to drive it to the tuning shop, or do I need it basically towed there?

With the above mods mentioned installed, would it just be easier to just order a ZZP PCM tune, explaining what mods I have?

Thanks fellas.

Old 03-27-2019, 06:50 AM

Ive asked something similar to this and what I was told is you could drive it if its absolutely necessary but say as far away as possible from boost..

It would be easier to get a ZZP tune but would be much better if you can have a shop do it.. The ZZP tunes are a kinda "safe, one size fits all" type-a deal.. They DO have different tunes for different mods but you will get much better results from a tuning shop..

Old 03-28-2019, 09:48 AM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by wht02monte
Ive asked something similar to this and what I was told is you could drive it if its absolutely necessary but say as far away as possible from boost..

It would be easier to get a ZZP tune but would be much better if you can have a shop do it.. The ZZP tunes are a kinda "safe, one size fits all" type-a deal.. They DO have different tunes for different mods but you will get much better results from a tuning shop..
Did some searching today, the only tuning shops in / around Des Moines won't handle any LS motors, rather those "tuner" type cars. Closest one would be about 100 plus miles away, which is fine, I can make a trip.

Was thinking it might be safer to order a ZZP PCM tune / replacement and then take it to the tuning center later in the Summer. Might not be the most cost effective but should guarantee less problems.

One last question for everyone: Once I'm done tuning with the ported M90, NV8 Throttle Body, etc... would it be THEN that I would start going down the pulley sizes?

Old 03-29-2019, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by HKnux5112
Once I put on the ported M90, along with a new (or used) Northstar V8 throttle body, can I still be able to drive it to the tuning shop, or do I need it basically towed there?

With the above mods mentioned installed, would it just be easier to just order a ZZP PCM tune, explaining what mods I have?

Thanks fellas.
Ported blower wont make any real difference in drivability on the stock tune. The TB is what would worry me a bit. I see 2 problems:
1. The TB will let in more air at lower TP, so the TP % for PE mode will need to be adjusted. Keep it out of boost and this wont be a problem.
2. Since the MAF is internal, I assume you'll be going to an external MAF. This is the bigger concern as a different size MAF tube will cause it to be off. One option is just to leave it unplugged until you get to a tuner.

IMO I'm not a fan of canned tunes either. You'd get the most out of it finding a local tuner or learning to tune yourself.

Old 03-29-2019, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by HKnux5112

One last question for everyone: Once I'm done tuning with the ported M90, NV8 Throttle Body, etc... would it be THEN that I would start going down the pulley sizes?
You could probably drop sizes a bit, but would have to scan. Ideally you'd put on your target pulley size before going for the tune and just get the tune done in one shot.

I wouldn't expect to be able to drop too crazy though, maybe a 3.4"? Depending on the condition of the engine and who ported the blower.