Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Any And All Mods and Ad-Ons to increase LS4 Performance

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2022, 11:03 PM
Default Any And All Mods and Ad-Ons to increase LS4 Performance

Hey guys, I have finally got a hold of an 2007 Monte Carlo SS and I am interested in knowing any and all mods that I can do to the engine to enhance its performance. Basically I want it as fast as I can possibly get it without adding a turbo to it.

I’m would be having someone else do the work and I’m not looking to race it on the regular or anything like that. I just want it to be 400+ horsepower and even 500+ if possible. Please be detailed in all that I can do to enhance my LS4’s performance as well as increase the horsepower. Everything from the best oil to put in it, the best gas, best tunes etc.

I’ve been. Do been doing my research and though I’ve learned a few things I would appreciate it if you more experienced Monte Carlo m enthusiast responded as if I knew absolutely nothing…basically spell it all out for me 😂. My main goal is making my new baby a beast that can hang with the best of the R/T’s and SRT’s put here on the road…and yes I many not be able to blow past them or beat them I still want to be able to hang.

I’ve owed my 2004 Monte Carlo SS for 9 years and will never let her go even with all of the damage on the body I love her and that 3.8 in going strong. With the said, it’s time to put some serious work and pride into my new 2007 SS. I know the Monte Carlo lovers will understand!!

Thank you for all of the help!

Old 12-19-2022, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by AdamTalley10
Basically I want it as fast as I can possibly get it without adding a turbo to it.
The obvious question is why no turbo? If youre chasing performance numbers like you mentioned later, that's the easiest route on the LS4.

Also, so we're not wasting our time listing every possible modification, what is your budget? No reason for us to get into internal engine mods if youre on a bolt ons budget.

I just want it to be 400+ horsepower and even 500+ if possible.
What is your plan for the transmission? In case you're not aware, the stock transmission won't hold stock power, much less the levels youre talking. Without a source for new 1" chains, you'll be stuck either regularly tearing it down for chain refreshes or swapping to a 4t80. Just what to make sure you understand what you're getting yourself into - if you're 100% paying other people to do the work, you're going to probably be at least $5k into the trans alone.

​​​​​​​Everything from the best oil to put in it, the best gas, best tunes etc.
Oil and gas brand doesnt matter for power production, at least not in any measurable sense. The only difference you'll see here is switching to e85 or race gas if youre also upping the compression substantially (which is again why we need some bounds on what you're realistically willing to do).

There is no 'best tune' - 400 to 500 hp (assuming wheel horsepower) is going to require a custom tune. This would likely be done at your nearest major LS shop or tuner.

Old 12-19-2022, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by bumpin96monte
The obvious question is why no turbo? If youre chasing performance numbers like you mentioned later, that's the easiest route on the LS4.

Also, so we're not wasting our time listing every possible modification, what is your budget? No reason for us to get into internal engine mods if youre on a bolt ons budget.

What is your plan for the transmission? In case you're not aware, the stock transmission won't hold stock power, much less the levels youre talking. Without a source for new 1" chains, you'll be stuck either regularly tearing it down for chain refreshes or swapping to a 4t80. Just what to make sure you understand what you're getting yourself into - if you're 100% paying other people to do the work, you're going to probably be at least $5k into the trans alone.

Oil and gas brand doesnt matter for power production, at least not in any measurable sense. The only difference you'll see here is switching to e85 or race gas if youre also upping the compression substantially (which is again why we need some bounds on what you're realistically willing to do).

There is no 'best tune' - 400 to 500 hp (assuming wheel horsepower) is going to require a custom tune. This would likely be done at your nearest major LS shop or tuner.

I see what you are saying. To keep it simple I have a budget of about $10,000 and just want it to get up to about 400HP. Anything to get it to still sound menacing while upping the HP. I don’t prefer the honestly because I don’t like the sound…but if that is the easiest way then it could be an option. Any tips that you guys give me will be followed up with more extensive research. This is just the starting point for me.

Also, I planned on getting a better trans as I have been previously told that the stock trans won’t hold up well with the V8.

Old 12-19-2022, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by AdamTalley10
. To keep it simple I have a budget of about $10,000 and just want it to get up to about 400HP. Anything to get it to still sound menacing while upping the HP.
400 crank or wheel? Most people modifying a car talk in terms of wheel as thats the only thing we can easily measure. But i figured it was worth clarifying as its a huge difference.

400 crank is easily doable NA. Id do heads / cam / intake and a tune which should get you into the low 300s at the wheels with a good cam choice. Since sound seems to be your main focus, I'd put the most effort into that decision to balance manners, chop, and power.

400 wheel is probably impossible NA on your budget, especially if that includes the transmission build also. 400 wheel NA would be closing in on a max effort build - including replacing bottom end parts to spin it higher and get the compression up there.

Assuming the $10k includes the labor to do everything, its going to be tight even at 400 crank hp as that practically cuts the budget in half. Youll have to get some real world local quotes to see what money you're left with for parts.

I don’t prefer the honestly because I don’t like the sound…but if that is the easiest way then it could be an option.
Bang for the buck is hard to beat and TBH its the only reasonable way youre going to get into the 400-500 wheel horsepower range. You also keep stock drivability and fuel economy as a side benefit.

The downside for NA performance is the LS4 is fairly small displacement and has several FWD specific parts so making big NA power is tough. Ive seen people on LS1 tech do heads / cam / intake and still struggle to make stock LS2 power at the tires.

For reference, below is the turbo kit:

Cartuning Performance

I will say if that $10k budget includes labor cost, then this route is probably out unless you find a used kit. You're $10k just in the turbo kit and transmission alone, plus the labor costs.

Also, I planned on getting a better trans as I have been previously told that the stock trans won’t hold up well with the V8.
IMO once you settle on a general path forward + have a specific power goal in mind for that path, I'd put 100% of my effort into completing this first.

You've really only got two main options:

-keep the 4t65, but have it upgraded. Several builders out there. Triple edge performance is one of the leaders. Downside is that the 'bullet proof' components have been discontinued. You can still snag components used from time to time, but this would probably eat up most of your budget as even the bullet proof chain set alone is going for $2500+ these days. Triple edge could build you the best trans you can still get with new parts these days, but I suspect the chain will become a maintenance item depending how hard you use it.

-4t80 swap. Ls4king.com has mounts and such and this is a beefier factory trans. Where you may run into difficulty paying someone else to do the work is how much a place will charge you for an unknown custom retrofit. With the 4t65 option, literally any transmission shop can drop it in. But with this route you may end up with a much higher bill as many places may be afraid to touch it. The other hard part is that a lot of people go this route for a cheap / strong trans and will often bolt in junkyard transmissions until they get one that holds up. If you go that typical route, I'd be prepared to put a few in before you get a good one - especially if you're paying labor for R&R each time. The units themselves are dirt cheap, but that labor could add up fast.

One last thing to think about if youre sitting on $10k cash at the moment - Id strongly consider other vehicle options before putting that much money into a W car. As used car prices continue to slide, $10k would nearly get you a 400 hp stock gto (with a transmission that you're not always going to be worried is going to blow up) and a better exhaust note due to true dual exhaust. Not trying to push people away from this platform, I just like to throw that caution out if someone is sitting on a big chunk of money and hasn't started modding their car yet.

Last edited by bumpin96monte; 12-19-2022 at 11:04 AM.
Old 12-19-2022, 11:41 AM

400 crank or wheel? Most people modifying a car talk in terms of wheel as thats the only thing we can easily measure. But i figured it was worth clarifying as its a huge difference.

400 crank is easily doable NA. Id do heads / cam / intake and a tune which should get you into the low 300s at the wheels with a good cam choice. Since sound seems to be your main focus, I'd put the most effort into that decision to balance manners, chop, and power.

400 wheel is probably impossible NA on your budget, especially if that includes the transmission build also. 400 wheel NA would be closing in on a max effort build - including replacing bottom end parts to spin it higher and get the compression up there.

Assuming the $10k includes the labor to do everything, its going to be tight even at 400 crank hp as that practically cuts the budget in half. Youll have to get some real world local quotes to see what money you're left with for parts.

Bang for the buck is hard to beat and TBH its the only reasonable way youre going to get into the 400-500 wheel horsepower range. You also keep stock drivability and fuel economy as a side benefit.

The downside for NA performance is the LS4 is fairly small displacement and has several FWD specific parts so making big NA power is tough. Ive seen people on LS1 tech do heads / cam / intake and still struggle to make stock LS2 power at the tires.

For reference, below is the turbo kit:

Cartuning Performance

I will say if that $10k budget includes labor cost, then this route is probably out unless you find a used kit. You're $10k just in the turbo kit and transmission alone, plus the labor costs.

IMO once you settle on a general path forward + have a specific power goal in mind for that path, I'd put 100% of my effort into completing this first.

You've really only got two main options:

-keep the 4t65, but have it upgraded. Several builders out there. Triple edge performance is one of the leaders. Downside is that the 'bullet proof' components have been discontinued. You can still snag components used from time to time, but this would probably eat up most of your budget as even the bullet proof chain set alone is going for $2500+ these days. Triple edge could build you the best trans you can still get with new parts these days, but I suspect the chain will become a maintenance item depending how hard you use it.

-4t80 swap. Ls4king.com has mounts and such and this is a beefier factory trans. Where you may run into difficulty paying someone else to do the work is how much a place will charge you for an unknown custom retrofit. With the 4t65 option, literally any transmission shop can drop it in. But with this route you may end up with a much higher bill as many places may be afraid to touch it. The other hard part is that a lot of people go this route for a cheap / strong trans and will often bolt in junkyard transmissions until they get one that holds up. If you go that typical route, I'd be prepared to put a few in before you get a good one - especially if you're paying labor for R&R each time. The units themselves are dirt cheap, but that labor could add up fast.

One last thing to think about if youre sitting on $10k cash at the moment - Id strongly consider other vehicle options before putting that much money into a W car. As used car prices continue to slide, $10k would nearly get you a 400 hp stock gto (with a transmission that you're not always going to be worried is going to blow up) and a better exhaust note due to true dual exhaust. Not trying to push people away from this platform, I just like to throw that caution out if someone is sitting on a big chunk of money and hasn't started modding their car yet.
I’m guessing shooting for a more reasonable HP upgrade would be to about 350 or so 😅. Is there anything more simple to get a quick 25HP to 50 HP boost on my budget….Either way, Thank you for all of the advice! I will do my research and look into what’s best for me and adjust my expectations as needed.

Old 12-19-2022, 11:59 AM

Biggest bang for the buck by far is the intake manifold. Its awful on the stock LS4 due to the OPSU location - to the point that even just upgrading to another used stock LS manifold is a benefit (which is why the bang for the buck is so high - you're able to buy stuff others are practically throwing away when they upgrade so its very cheap). There is some minor custom work involved, but nothing crazy. If you plan to have a shop do the work, I'd find a good thread on how to swap them so you can explain the scope of work. Its not a normal LS intake swap as you're essentially mounting the new intake backwards from how it normally goes. So you don't want the shop highballing the price thinking its going to be some kind of crazy one off job.

As with any LS engine, a cam swap is always a good bang for the buck. Its a pain to do on a FWD car, but offers solid power gains and can be tailored to exactly how rowdy you want it to be. Plenty of info out there on what works on 5.3s (just not as much specific to the LS4) and there are some really good gains to be had here. Just be careful not to go too crazy in search of the highest possible peak # - drivability and fuel economy suffer and on the largest cams, you can run into durability issues with valve springs.

Obviously a custom tune would be part of either / both mods.

Either way, I'd still keep a trans build on the menu - once you start adding power and actually using it, its not going to hold up for long.

Last edited by bumpin96monte; 12-19-2022 at 03:41 PM.
Old 12-23-2022, 10:59 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I recall a member on this site years ago had a thread documenting that swap. I believe I found it, but sadly, all pics are lost thanks to PhotoBucket:
https://montecarloforum.com/forum/he...g-51629/page2/

Old 12-24-2022, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
I believe I found it, but sadly, all pics are lost thanks to Photobucket
IMO that was the single worst thing to happen universally across car forums. So many great historical threads ruined as a result.
Luckily the one you posted still has pretty good technical content besides the pictures.

Old 12-24-2022, 01:24 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

IMO that was the single worst thing to happen universally across car forums. So many great historical threads ruined as a result.
Luckily the one you posted still has pretty good technical content besides the pictures.
Funny part is, I told people I would not trust "free" services like that. If you can upload them to the site directly, then do it. ANd it took about 5-10 years and Photobucket and a few others proved me right. Or the other one "Oh, Photobucket only allows me Xgb of storage free, I am over that amount, OK, I guess I will delete stuff to get more room". Ugh.

I even tried using the site The Way Back Machine/Web Archive to see if I could get that thread with pics. Sadly, it would only let me see page one and I could not advance the pages! UGH!

That was certainly one way forums have been loosing popularity. And it stinks....

Old 12-24-2022, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
If you can upload them to the site directly, then do it.
I do so want understand why people did it as I used to have a ton of content on there. At one point I was actively on about 5x 3800 based forums, especially at the height of my original build. It was nice to be able to upload progress pics in one spot and link bits and pieces on different forums without having to duplicate uploaded content (especially back when I had much slower internet).

To your point though, free only lasts so long - especially in a model like that where the vast majority of the content viewers never actually get to the photo bucket site - they're just seeing the images hosted there. I just wish they'd have grandfathered the existing content and only made the change for new stuff - but I suppose they wouldn't have had as many takers to actually pay for it that way.

Quick Reply: Any And All Mods and Ad-Ons to increase LS4 Performance