Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Antifreeze Problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 05:55 PM
Default Antifreeze Problems

OK I noticed that my antifreeze was low so I half way filled up the reservoir. I then ran it and then relieved the air from the system by letting it out of the gooseneck/thermostat housing. Next day I noticed anti-freeze under the drivers side of the engine comp. Figured maybe I over filled it. Next day driving with the heater on , the windows started fogging up. After further inspection, there is antifreeze under the passenger side of the motor on the frame. I am assuming it is dripping from the front of the engine, maybe the water pump.
Then a couple of days later, there is antifreeze on the passenger side floor mat. I can see having a leak somewhere, but everywhere? Could it be the water pump and the heater core went out at the same time. This car is a 2005 SS Supercharged and it only has 25,000 miles on it. Any ideas? The intake manifold area seems to be dry. Must be lower on the motor, maybe a freeze plug? Im in Cali, it doesnt freeze here.

Old 02-26-2010, 03:10 PM

If your getting antifreeze on the inside floor mats and the defrosters are fogging the windows, I would guess you also smelling antifreeze inside, The heater core is leaking, there really is no other way for the antifreeze to get inside the car, sorry to say. the antifreeze on the ground/firewall/chassis in that area probably is coming from the A/C condensate drain that is part of the heater/A/C box and allows water (antifreeze in this case) to drain out from normal A/C usage, hopefully still under warranty, they are a pain to change, also don't have the core repaired, replace with a brand name core (if you have to do it) pressure test it with air pressure in a bucket of water before install (no more than 15-17 PSI!)

Last edited by montes my python; 02-28-2010 at 07:35 PM.
Old 02-26-2010, 07:51 PM

ive never had an interior leak b4, but i have had to scrap snow shavings off my windshield b4. mine leaks somewhere, but idk where. its small. i probly have to add a cup a month or i have no heat. all i do is check often and fill up to the line. everything seems to work fine then.

ive heard several ppl say that the water pump went out b4 60,000 like it should. i know we have different motors but could be a coincedence. i cant spell.