Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

annoying engine "whir"

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2013, 12:18 PM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2014
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by The_Maniac

When you wiggle the alt pulley, does it have any play in it as well? And I assume you checked the water pump and tensioner pulleys?
Keep in mind, when you spin the pulley by hand, it's much slower then the engine spinning it. As a result, it's hard to get the same exact sound, so all you're looking for is a clue.
I never thought about it, but the belt could be the source of the noise too. When you replace it, a tip given to me was since the old belt is not snapped or fraying, bundle it up, put it with your spare tire. This way if the belt ever breaks on the road, you have a spare at all times (it should be enough to get home until you can buy a new belt).

I've learned to steer a way from belt dressing. In my experiences, it solved nothing (sometimes made bigger problems).
The alt pulley didn't feel like it had any play really, the PS pulley felt a little stiff but then the water pump and AC felt the same. It almost sounds like its coming from the back of the alt.

Old 12-31-2013, 12:46 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Not to sound like a broken record, what about the tensioner pulley???

Sometimes a bearing goes out in those and it's like less then $10 at the parts store for the pulley itself (not the entire tensioner assembly). And if memory serves, that one is a little back under the alt. I've replaced that pulley before on other 3800's due to noise.

Old 12-31-2013, 12:52 PM
1 Year Member

Not to sound like a broken record, what about the tensioner pulley???

Sometimes a bearing goes out in those and it's like less then $10 at the parts store for the pulley itself (not the entire tensioner assembly). And if memory serves, that one is a little back under the alt. I've replaced that pulley before on other 3800's due to noise.
Ill check on that too. Got a write up on how to pull and check the pulley?I thought they were locked on the assmebly

Old 12-31-2013, 02:00 PM

10 Year Member

No need for a write up, the pulley is held on to the tensioner assembly with one bolt (it might be reverse thread, I don't remember). You just get your ratchet and socket (probably a 13mm or 15mm) and go to town. Bolt goes through the center of the pulley. No biggie. It's not pressed on or anything.

Just spin it by hand, wiggle it to check for play.

Old 12-31-2013, 03:27 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

They are reverse threaded because you turn left to loosen the tension to remove the belt

Old 12-31-2013, 04:01 PM
1 Year Member

Well... bearing feels pretty tight and there is some metal shavings in it. So I guess it wouldn't hurt to replace. I dont like guess work but atleast then I can eliminate it.

Edit: also clicks when spun. So a bearing is shot for sure. I'm thinking that's the higher pitch sound and closer insepction I think that its the alternator fan bearing that is making the rest of the noise.

Would you guys stop finding stuff that broken on my car that I didn't notice? Hahaha

Last edited by dbaldwin; 12-31-2013 at 04:09 PM.
Old 12-31-2013, 05:28 PM
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by dbaldwin
Well... bearing feels pretty tight and there is some metal shavings in it. So I guess it wouldn't hurt to replace. I dont like guess work but atleast then I can eliminate it.

Edit: also clicks when spun. So a bearing is shot for sure. I'm thinking that's the higher pitch sound and closer insepction I think that its the alternator fan bearing that is making the rest of the noise.

Would you guys stop finding stuff that broken on my car that I didn't notice? Hahaha
With replacing the pulley I was finally able to track down the sound. Definantly the alternator. Couldnt hear it over the sound of the bench tester but when I put my ear to the alt now the sound is definantly inside of it. Guess ill just wait till it goes out and replace it. But I fixed two parts of the strange engine noises haha.

Old 12-31-2013, 05:53 PM

10 Year Member

Originally Posted by dbaldwin
I love helping other people spend money

But seriously, I'm glad it sounds like this will help eliminate a couple smaller issues and ultimately helped to pin point the actual problem. Since you found metal shavings around the tensioner pulley, that could have spelled a serious problem for you eventually.

Old 12-31-2013, 06:04 PM
1 Year Member

I love helping other people spend money

But seriously, I'm glad it sounds like this will help eliminate a couple smaller issues and ultimately helped to pin point the actual problem. Since you found metal shavings around the tensioner pulley, that could have spelled a serious problem for you eventually.
Yeah and I never would have guessed the pcv valve. That was a noise I hadent even gotten to adressing yet because it was intermitent. Thanks for all the help

Old 12-31-2013, 09:33 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Airman David, You have taught me somethin. Fortunately, I replaced my PVC and MAP this past summer. Guess my pwr steering pump is just weird. Like me!

Quick Reply: annoying engine "whir"