Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Aftermarket PCM Advice

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2010 | 01:08 PM
|
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Aftermarket PCM Advice

I'm looking to replace the stock PCM soon in my '02 Monte. The only performance mod's I have / will make in the near future are easier breathing air intake and exhaust. I may do a few more things but nothing radical. It's my wife's daily driver.

I'm looking for advice on whether to purchase the ZZ Performance PCM or Milzy Motorsports PCM. Or another brand entirely?? If anyone has experience with either I'd like to hear about it.

And a related problem / question: The Passlock security system has been getting progressively worse lately. Can the PCM be reprogrammed to simply bypass / eliminate Passlock entirely? I'd gladly live w/o the security system if I can be assured that we won't be randomly stranded with a no-start engine.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Old 10-19-2010 | 04:09 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
15 Year Member

Mod first, PCM last.

I would go with ZZP for the PCM, and the passlock deals with the BCM you can't change that with just the PCM, sorry.

Old 10-19-2010 | 04:16 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member

[quote=Sparky-88;269424]I'm looking to replace the stock PCM soon in my '02 Monte. The only performance mod's I have / will make in the near future are easier breathing air intake and exhaust. I may do a few more things but nothing radical. It's my wife's daily driver.

I'm looking for advice on whether to purchase the ZZ Performance PCM or Milzy Motorsports PCM. Or another brand entirely?? If anyone has experience with either I'd like to hear about it.

And a related problem / question: The Passlock security system has been getting progressively worse lately. Can the PCM be reprogrammed to simply bypass / eliminate Passlock entirely? I'd gladly live w/o the security system if I can be assured that we won't be randomly stranded with a no-start engine.

not sure about the passlock, but as far as the pcms go, i have the milzy tuned pcm and im satisfied, and have had no complaints. he did take a while to ship, other than that there's no problems.

Old 10-19-2010 | 04:16 PM

Get the zzp pcm. Im very happy with mine. I got it before i was finished moding, but only to eliminate a p0420 code which poped up after installing a high flow cat, which would have kept me from getting inspected. I would have waited until after moding if it wasnt for that.

As for the passlock, theres no real way to disable it. You can bypass the lock cylinder and ignition switch with a secuity bypass for a remote start, but if your problem isnt your switch then it wont do u any good.

Old 10-19-2010 | 05:18 PM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2011
3 Year Member1 Year Member
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
Mod first, PCM last.

I would go with ZZP for the PCM, and the passlock deals with the BCM you can't change that with just the PCM, sorry.
x2

You'll get better results and not have to keep retuning over and over again. So far I've had my PCM tuned 5 times, lol.

Old 10-20-2010 | 07:32 AM
|

Thanks, guys! Appreciate the help.

BTW... I wrote to ZZP yesterday asking a few questions. I was told that although they couldn't bypass the Passlock system entirely, they could program the PCM to minimize the 'relearn' process (down to about 30 seconds) after the system activates / malfunctions. That's better than nothing.