Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

AC in an 86 TBI

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2005, 03:05 PM
Default AC in an 86 TBI

Well this is the first summer I have my MC and the AC was dead! I charged it up added a can of oil and it was blowing ice cold. The first few days I was using the AC the car would stall when it was in drive stopped at a red light or stopped in drive for anything else.

But it seems now it doesnt stall at all (7 days later). I had the AC on max and the fan on high and the car was fine. No stalling, nothing! Though it does get a little sluggish when the AC is on.

Is this anything i should need to worry about? Anyone ever heard of this? Any precautionary steps I should take?

Old 05-06-2006, 10:25 PM
Default RE: AC in an 86 TBI

it is normal to loos power w/ ac on. as 4 stalling it maybe because it has not worked in a while and things were rusted. you also could have a leak . do you have guages?

Old 08-06-2020, 11:51 PM

The stalling was likely due to the compressor being a little tight inside from not working for some time. If it’s blowing cold and drives fine now you’re in the clear.
Why you were asked about a leak I’m not sure. If it stops working again then worry about a leak. They don’t make proper refrigerant for an ‘86 anymore
(R-12) so if it’s those Redtek cans it’s basically propane variants. You’re not really causing problems to the earth letting that leak out to find a leak (if one exists).

Old 08-07-2020, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by Justin Knight
The stalling was likely due to the compressor being a little tight inside from not working for some time. If it’s blowing cold and drives fine now you’re in the clear.
Why you were asked about a leak I’m not sure. If it stops working again then worry about a leak. They don’t make proper refrigerant for an ‘86 anymore
(R-12) so if it’s those Redtek cans it’s basically propane variants. You’re not really causing problems to the earth letting that leak out to find a leak (if one exists).
Jusr curious, why do you keep bumping all of these ancient posts like this to answer them?

This one in particular is literally 15 years old and the OP hasn't been online in 15 years either. There were some people on this board that were literally still in diapers when this was posted, so I think the chances that the OP is still sitting around hoping for an answer is pretty low.