Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

5.3 V8 in a 6th gen ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 01:40 AM

The L67 is the Series II Supercharged 3800. Found in the 04-05 Monte, 97-03 GTP, 00-03 Bonneville SSEi, and 96-05 (IIRC) Buick Rivera. The Series I S/C is also designated the L67 but it wasn't nearly as common and ran till 95.

Ashley if you got more questions you can ask on facebook. I can get to them quicker that way. I've been tinkering with 3800s for years now. Like I said, I plan on doing a top swap myself, but I plan on using the Gen V M90 (supercharger off the L32 Series III) as well as the heads off the L32. It's a direct bolt on and I can bolt the L67 MAF on there to avoid having to do a DBW conversion.

Old 12-12-2011, 08:44 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Asking questions never hurts.

We'll just yell at you sometimes

Old 12-12-2011, 09:48 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2012
1 Year Member

Sweet! Thank you everyone. Now this makes much more sense! There's a guy on craigslist that has 3 superchargers and he wants 50 bucks a piece for them.. I don't know if that's cheap or not, but he claims they work. If anyone needs one lmk and I can send you his stuff.

Old 12-12-2011, 03:18 PM

I'm guessing they're Gen III M90s? Not bad in and of themselves. That's a little on the low side as far as price but that would depend on what kind of condition they're in. The Gen V (off the series III supercharged) are more expensive but are as good, if not slightly better, than ported Gen III. Just depends on what you're after. You'd also need heads, fuel rail, and intake manifold at a minimum as well.

Old 12-12-2011, 04:00 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2012
1 Year Member

OK, another stupid question.. What is a cam and why do people put them on?

Old 12-12-2011, 04:08 PM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

Cam is what raises your valves to let the air & fuel in & out of the cylenders, & larger cams alow more air & fuel in which creates more power

Old 12-12-2011, 04:09 PM

Ok, for starters, all cars have a cam. Some have one cam, some have two or four. To keep it simple, the cam tells the intake and exhaust valves when to open and close. People will change out cams to change how long the valves stay open and change the power they make at certain RPM (and usually sacrifice either low RPM power and sometimes streetability while they're at it). While a few people do change cams on 3800s and other V6s, there are not as many available as there are for the V8s. There are so many different cams for the various V8s out there it's not even funny, so it's a lot easier than it was in the old days to pick a cam for your specific setup and purpose.

Old 12-13-2011, 11:54 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Enzo354
Are you? And thats crazy I forgot how cheap it was. Oh its seriously easy too, its like a 30 minute project. You only need 4 parts.
Hello , can I ask you all, I have been getting conflicting info, I have a standard 3800 series ll in my SS. I have been told by numerous people that I CAN do a top swap, but have others telling me I can NOT do one with my engine. Can you guys tell me weather I can , or can't? ALSO, IF I can exactly what parts do I need? The supercharger, fuel rail, injectors, PCM, new coils, is this list correct, or do I need differant parts IF it's even possible?. I can ask in a separate post, but thought you are the guys to ask seeing this is exactly what I want to do... Thanks... Mjc...

Old 12-13-2011, 12:14 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Here's where you are getting conflicting information. You own a 2001.

00-02 are the hardest to top-swap. Mostly because the transmission was changed in 2003. Also, it wasn't until 2004 that there was a supercharged Monte Carlo.

This means that tuning the top-swap is hard, because there is no base file to work from, and if you try to work from the 04 base file, the transmission will have a hard time since that is different.

So what you would need to do, is actually get a newer transmission AS WELL as the top-swap. Then you can use the 04 .bin file and tune your top-swap from there.

You will also need to splice some wires into your L36 engine harness. You will need to get the MAP, injector / boost bypass, and anything else the L36 doesn't have that the L67 does.

So really, you will be top-swapping AND transmission swapping. You might as well just grab the whole L67 and swap that.

These are the 00-02 problems that everyone occurs.

Old 12-13-2011, 02:11 PM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
Here's where you are getting conflicting information. You own a 2001.

00-02 are the hardest to top-swap. Mostly because the transmission was changed in 2003. Also, it wasn't until 2004 that there was a supercharged Monte Carlo.

This means that tuning the top-swap is hard, because there is no base file to work from, and if you try to work from the 04 base file, the transmission will have a hard time since that is different.

So what you would need to do, is actually get a newer transmission AS WELL as the top-swap. Then you can use the 04 .bin file and tune your top-swap from there.

You will also need to splice some wires into your L36 engine harness. You will need to get the MAP, injector / boost bypass, and anything else the L36 doesn't have that the L67 does.

So really, you will be top-swapping AND transmission swapping. You might as well just grab the whole L67 and swap that.

These are the 00-02 problems that everyone occurs.
You can use the transmission. On mine I kept everything the same but transferred over a few files from a gtp, such as injector settings, MAF tables, and stuff like that.

It can be done but isn't worth it. Others will say it is, but so far all of the people who have yelled at me for saying that haven't done a top swap themselves, and base info off a thread they read or a few pics they saw. All the work isn't worth the gain, just too much can go wrong.

Quick Reply: 5.3 V8 in a 6th gen ?