Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

3.4 DOHC Build Up

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2009, 09:43 PM
Question 3.4 DOHC Build Up

Anyone know where I can find either a book or online resource for the complete teardown and build up of this motor? Looking also to do performance Mods, Head Porting, Cam Timing, Etc. I have done the Timing Belt, Intake Gaskets and just about everything else outside this motor but its ready to be freshened up and I want more HP. Is there a bullet proof O-Ring for the Oil Drive Cover? Any help would be appreciated. PS; I have Built many motors but never tore into one of these beasts. Its one of the more complicated Motors out there and I want to do it 100%. Thanx G

Old 07-18-2009, 10:18 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2009
5 Year Member

Check out this site below. It has alot of info on performance mods for the LQ1
http://z34phoenix.piczo.com
I believe Dave is running a 14.8 in the 1/4 now and he is NA.
Also check out 60degreev6.com. It has some good info on maintenance and the +6/-6 timing. What year is your car? The 96-97 LQ1 was OBDII and you can have it tuned. 60degree has a store and sells some mods for the 91-93 LQ1. If you have 91-95 you can swap out the heads, fuel rails and intakes for a 96-97 for better flow. If I remember right if you put 96-97 heads on a 91-95 LQ1 you will raise the compression as well.
Milzymotorsports.com used to have some mods for the LQ1 but Im not sure if they still make them.
Unless you are planning on making a ton of power or it is shot, the stock rotating assembly should be fine. I havent heard of anyone breaking one yet. It wouldnt hurt anything tho to tear into it and freshen it up.

If I had more money this is what I would do with mine:
Port/polish heads, intakes, TB runner, TB and MAF
degree the cams +6 intake/ -6 exhaust
Get a set of MMS headers if they still make them or port the stock manifolds
Make a 2.5" downpipe with a high flow cat
FFP UDP if I could find one
lower degree thermostat (maybe 180*)
Have it dyno tuned

I already have a FWI and a 2.5" stainless exhaust. Would definately be necessary if you plan on modding. You should be able to easily get 250hp out of it with the above mods.

Old 07-20-2009, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by mrl390
Check out this site below. It has alot of info on performance mods for the LQ1
http://z34phoenix.piczo.com
I believe Dave is running a 14.8 in the 1/4 now and he is NA.
Also check out 60degreev6.com. It has some good info on maintenance and the +6/-6 timing. What year is your car? The 96-97 LQ1 was OBDII and you can have it tuned. 60degree has a store and sells some mods for the 91-93 LQ1. If you have 91-95 you can swap out the heads, fuel rails and intakes for a 96-97 for better flow. If I remember right if you put 96-97 heads on a 91-95 LQ1 you will raise the compression as well.
Milzymotorsports.com used to have some mods for the LQ1 but Im not sure if they still make them.
Unless you are planning on making a ton of power or it is shot, the stock rotating assembly should be fine. I havent heard of anyone breaking one yet. It wouldnt hurt anything tho to tear into it and freshen it up.

If I had more money this is what I would do with mine:
Port/polish heads, intakes, TB runner, TB and MAF
degree the cams +6 intake/ -6 exhaust
Get a set of MMS headers if they still make them or port the stock manifolds
Make a 2.5" downpipe with a high flow cat
FFP UDP if I could find one
lower degree thermostat (maybe 180*)
Have it dyno tuned

I already have a FWI and a 2.5" stainless exhaust. Would definately be necessary if you plan on modding. You should be able to easily get 250hp out of it with the above mods.
Thank you for the info. I have been to 60 degree .com, very helpfull info. I appreciate your input as i need all the info i can get on this engine Thanks Gary