Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

2006 Monte carlo SS UIM question

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2013, 09:20 PM
1 Year Member
Default 2006 Monte carlo SS UIM question

Hey everyone, so I just had a quick question. So I had recently been thinking of trading in my Monte for a rear wheel drive car, Like a GTO or something of that nature. But I kind of started thinking about just beefing up my monte so I don't have to worry about any of the issues that are common with them. So down the road I may get a beefed up trans to handle a lot more power then the stock one. I have also recently been thinking of changing out the UIM with one that is better quality. When Augi came down to buy my wheels he let me know that when our cars get up there in miles that composite UIM (or whatever material it is) tends to crack. So I was wondering if there is a replacement UIM you can get that is aluminum or something of that nature. I know I have seen a lot of people with 6th gens as well as 5th gens, I believe, that change out to an L26 UIM. Is there anything like that for the 5.3L V8 in the 06' SS or does anyone know of an aftermarket UIM for the 5.3L? Thanks for any help, it's much appreciated.

Old 08-10-2013, 08:20 PM

so you have a 5.3 v8? I dont know for sure but i think that the upper intake is interchangable with the ls1/2/6 ect. I also do not think the cracking issue is the same on the 5.3 i know the L36 had that issue. if you still want an improved intake i think edelbrock makes an aluminum uim and FAST makes a composite one as well. you will prob want a trans made by trippleedgeperformance im not sure about the power you are looking for but being fwd really limits what you can easily do. might be better off finding a nice older Camaro SS.

Old 08-11-2013, 12:12 AM
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by z34phoenix
so you have a 5.3 v8? I dont know for sure but i think that the upper intake is interchangable with the ls1/2/6 ect. I also do not think the cracking issue is the same on the 5.3 i know the L36 had that issue. if you still want an improved intake i think edelbrock makes an aluminum uim and FAST makes a composite one as well. you will prob want a trans made by trippleedgeperformance im not sure about the power you are looking for but being fwd really limits what you can easily do. might be better off finding a nice older Camaro SS.
Thanks, I'm still trying to decide on what I want to do. I still have to pay my Monte off before I can make a decision. But if I decide to beef it up a bit then I will want the best parts. But I'm still kind of deciding, I've recently been really interested in the 05-06 GTO as well as the Pontiac firebird WS6's. I appreciate the help. I will look into the edelbrock uim