Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

2004 Monte Carlo hard starting

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 11:33 PM

Did you check your iac valve yet?? That can cause some trouble with starting if it's bad

Old 05-04-2012, 04:36 PM

mwjames, no I haven't. At this point I do not believe that to be the problem because when running it controls the idle just fine. Wouldn't this affect the motor when starting it when warm? When engine is warm or has only been sitting for less then an hour or 2 it starts fine with little of no hesitation. Idle does not drop when change from neutral into forward or reverse. Don't get me wrong it could be the problem but I just don't suspect it to be. I will check it this weekend and I will try to see if there is a vacuum leak also.

Old 05-07-2012, 02:10 AM

Yes it does generally only make it hard to start warm but it's worth a shot to clean it up and check it.

Another thing to consider is your crank sensor.

Old 05-08-2012, 06:00 PM

I did clean it up Sunday but seems to act the same. This morning I disconnected it to see how it would act cold and it seemed to start up quicker but of course the idle was high. I decided to stop by the auto parts store they happen to have one on hand and since it was under $40 barely I decided what the hey replace it. Of course I won't know until tomorrow morning when I fire it up for work if it actually helped or not. It fired right up after installation but then the old one did to when it was warm.

Now, the crank sensor, that sounds like a big expense? If it is I am not going to bother, the car will become trade fodder. If the IAC replacement doesn't work that will kind of answer it whether I trade it off.

Whether this works or not I would like to thank everyone for the help. I really appreciate it.

Dean.

Old 09-10-2015, 01:32 PM

I had a problem with a vehicle of mine VERY similar to what is happening to yours
(after setting over night takes several tries to get it to start)
It turned out to be I had a leaking injector and the fuel pressure and fuel would drain off when it sat for a long time (over night) and it would take several tries to get it to start and after it did start would run fine.
I checked the oms on the injectors and 3 were less than what they should have read (3 read 11 oms and the rest read 18 oms so I changed 3) she starts first time every time now.
hope this helps someone.

Old 09-10-2015, 02:35 PM

I'd get a fuel pressure guage and just see what it does on your own. See if any spark plugs are fuel soaked. Sounds like a fuel issue still...

Old 09-11-2015, 04:12 PM

Sold the car 3 weeks after my last reply over 3 years ago. I think there was something wrong with the ignitions anti theft device. At one point it would crank but not fire, I pulled the key out and put it back in the ignition and it fired. I wasn't putting anymore in it and traded it off. Car is long gone and someone elses problem.