Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

2001 Monte Carlo starting hard!

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2012, 09:00 PM
Default 2001 Monte Carlo starting hard!

Hello,

I've trolled the internet for hours trying to find out whats wrong with this darn car and I have yet to find an answer, I've taken it to GM for a diagnostic and them determined that the throttle body on my car had to be cleaned, so I had them cleaned it and there was no change, they wanted me to run a diagnostic again, but who has the money to pay these guys 89.95 an hour to do it So I took matters into my own hands and had a look at the coils, I noticed that one of the terminals on cylinder 3,6 was rusted so I replaced the coil and the wire set along with it, with no result still, I've run 4-6 bottles of fuel injector cleaner and I'm running supreme 24/7, suggestions?

I was thinking about running Sea Foam, I've bought 2 cans where is the hose located into where I feed it in?

Specs:

2001 Monte Carlo SS Dale Earnheat edition
3.8 L V6

Edit: Also replaced the spark plugs with Nascar XP plugs.

Old 11-13-2012, 07:18 PM

Can anyone help?

Old 11-14-2012, 05:58 AM

Check the fuel pressure regulator for leaking, pull the vacuum hose off of it while the engine is running. If gas comes out of the vacuum port, the regulator needs replacing.
Also check fuel pressure, if you are loosing pressure when the car is shut off the check valve in the pump is bad and the pump will need to be replaced.

Old 12-05-2012, 03:06 PM

Hi ,

Thanks for the help but niether the MAF, Idle air control motor, or throttle body seem to be the issue, I took it into my mechanic and he doesn't have a sweet clue why it keeps starting then stalling -> you always need to step on the gas to make her run, its got a new battery, new spark plugs and wire sets... This makes no sense at all, could it be my battery wires I.E postive and negetive??? I am getting soooo tired of putting more money into this car for none of the solution to work...

suggestions?

- Victory

Old 12-09-2012, 08:41 AM

have you checked fuel pressure like kenny suggested? also fuel filter... doesnt sound like ignition problem.

Old 12-09-2012, 02:34 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Victory
Hi ,

Thanks for the help but niether the MAF, Idle air control motor, or throttle body seem to be the issue, I took it into my mechanic and he doesn't have a sweet clue why it keeps starting then stalling -> you always need to step on the gas to make her run, its got a new battery, new spark plugs and wire sets... This makes no sense at all, could it be my battery wires I.E postive and negetive??? I am getting soooo tired of putting more money into this car for none of the solution to work...

suggestions?

- Victory
Timing belt?(jumped timing).....Plugged fuel filter?...bad fuel pump?.....is the MAF new? or used? Used no good ... new is the only way to be sure!.....Plug gap?..wrong wires? new used?...New is better....

Quick MAF test:
Unplug the MAF.....start the motor...test drive...if it runs and it runs better...theres your problem!
2nd test with motor running.....unplug MAF...if it stahls....MAF isnt the problem....

Im kinda leaning towards timing issues!

Last edited by STUMPMI; 12-09-2012 at 02:36 PM.
Old 12-09-2012, 06:47 PM

niether the 3.4, or the 3.8 have timing belts. they are chains. not to say the couldnt have slack, or have a chain guide break off, but most of the time, chains are pretty good about not jumping timing. there is no adjustable timing on these cars, it goes off of crank signal by way of the crank sensor and reluctor wheel, which is attached to the crankshaft via harmonic balancer, or internal on the shaft itself. im guessing its on the balancer on these, i cant remember offhand. most cars it is.

Old 12-09-2012, 07:42 PM

Unless you've done something to get higher compression or unless you're getting knocking, I would try 85 octane fuel.

My '02 SS doesn't run well at all if I put anything higher than 87 octane in it and it is especially cranky to start with higher than 85 in it.

Unless you've milled the heads or you've got a power adder I think this could be part of your problem.

Never run the higher octane fuel unless you need it.

EDIT:

Seafoam is a nightmare.

Old 12-10-2012, 05:17 AM

Hey Guys, thanks for all the replys,

I was told if you don't put supreme in it will clog up and kill the catalyic converters? Wrong I assume??? Sea foam worked fine for me wasn't really anything to clean (which is good) The spark plugs in the engine aren't gapped atm but it wasn't recommend to gap and niether were the factory AC delco spark plugs that WERE in it Laughed my **** off when I seen how rusty they are, my mechcanic told me that the fuel purssure is all high and normal in the line so I assume that rules out the regulator as well? The fuel filter is rusted to hell and I mean rusted, you can't even turn it without putting servere prussure on the lines and I'd rather not change my fuel lines as well so I would likely have to have that changed professionally. I will try the MAF sensor trick and get back to you.

Thanks guys

- Victory

Old 12-10-2012, 05:18 AM

btw 166674 miles on her right now..

Quick Reply: 2001 Monte Carlo starting hard!