General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

2004 monte carlo shifting hard

Old 03-14-2011, 11:44 PM
Default 2004 monte carlo shifting hard

2004 monte carlo shifting hard
hello everybody i am new here, i have a 2004 monte carlo with 118,000 miles on it, the car recently started shifting hard into first gear, i took it to the dealers and this code 1811 came on, they would charge me 200 bucks to see whats wrong with it, i dnt have that kind of money to pay if they are just going to check whats wrong and not fixing it, i keep seeing articles online with people with the similar problem and everybodys fix to the problem is changing the PRESSURE CONTROL SOLENOID...i am wondering if anybody has experienced the same problem...all replies will be appreciated.

Old 03-14-2011, 11:52 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

double post?

pressure control solenoid is common, so is a cat, take it to an exhaust shop and see if thats the problem first, then get the big part checked next.

Old 03-14-2011, 11:59 PM

an exhaust shop for hard shifting?

Old 03-15-2011, 12:01 AM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by Pete Nyce
an exhaust shop for hard shifting?
catalytic converter as I stated in the first post, when it gets clogged it can cause the car to not be able to shift, and stay in lower RPMs.

Old 03-15-2011, 12:05 AM

this might be a dumb question. i am really a novice when it comes to things of this nature but it only happens when shifting to first gear, every other time it is fine...like it only shifts hard on stop and go traffic

Old 03-15-2011, 12:12 AM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by Pete Nyce
this might be a dumb question. i am really a novice when it comes to things of this nature but it only happens when shifting to first gear, every other time it is fine...like it only shifts hard on stop and go traffic
hopefully more people will look into this thread and be able to help you, i think the cat may be possible, but we will see when more people are able to respond later.

Old 03-15-2011, 04:35 AM

Well I have had this problem before, or atleast a very similar one. My MC used to slip when trying to shift from the first gear to second.my friends sugguested to put some Lucas tranny oil additive and it helped out BIG time!I get hard shifts when switching from reverse to any of the drive hears but as for driving, it became somewhat rare to get hard shifts.I'm not sure if this will solve your problem but I just thought I should mention.I mAy even try getting my cat checked out now(:

Also, the members here will eventually see your thread and give you a response so there's no Need to like quadruple post. Just be patient and ur question will eventually get answered

Old 03-15-2011, 07:12 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I had that problem, it was the solenoid like stated, but I also had other transmission issues where instead of fixing or rebuilding it, I just got a used transmission and swapped

Old 02-29-2012, 09:46 AM

you know whats funny...i was just about to post a thread about this...im having the same exact problem. when i start driving my car it shifts very smooth and if im on the highway its fine. but as soon as i start driving stop and go traffic it shifts hard from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd. i do have a CEL for my cat so im gonna get this checked further and see but im going to change the tranny fluid and filter eventually anyway