Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

2002 Monte Carlo ss shaking

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 07:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default 2002 Monte Carlo ss problems...

Problem 1:
I have a 2002 Monte Carlo SS and sometimes when I start it up after its already warm the car starts shaking for like 5-7 seconds and I noticed the temperature gauge goes up a tad bit from where its supposed to be. The car starts almost flawlessly on a cold start and the problem only starts after I let it sit a couple of minutes after a long drive. What could this be? Its getting really annoying and embarrassing.

Problem 2:
I was on my way home and noticed my right turn signal was making a fast clicking noise so when I got home I changed out the front and rear lights and it still does it. When I turn on the right turn signal the green arrow doesn't even show up on the dash anymore it just makes a fast clicking sound like if the bulb is out. If I press the hazard switch it shows the green arrow on the dash and the lights on the front and the rear work. I really need help with this one (inspection sticker out of date)

Problem 3:
After driving for like 30 minutes warm air always finds its way into the vents I'm guessing from the engine bay.

Problem 4: (Show off car turning into a project car :/ )
In order to pull all the way into my garage I have to turn the wheel all the way to the left and when this is done it seems like it will kind of lose power a little bit... Is this normal?

Problem 5:
I have to wiggle my keys a little in order to get it to where I can start it up, any ideas of what this can be?

Problem 6:
After driving on the interstate at a constant speed of 50 mph I exit to get gas and smell like something is burning from under the hood, I'm thinking its the intake gaskets leaking oil and its getting burned off (read from previous threads) am I correct?

Problem 7:
My door latches seem to be getting stuck after opening the door I have to get a screw driver or use my finger to pry the little black thing up so I can close my door all the way. I want to completely remove that and replace it but don't know how...

Problem 8: (Service Traction Soon)
This one really doesn't bother me but I would prefer this to be fixed but I don't know how to. (Seeing lights on the dash always bug me)

I think that all of the problems I'm having with my Monte if I have more Ill be sure to update this list. I absolutely love this car so getting rid of it is out of the question. I would love to mod it but these problems and me procrastinating is holding me back.

Last edited by DRuben; 02-14-2011 at 08:00 PM.
Old 02-15-2011, 10:26 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

Problem #1:
I speculate plugs/wires. If you have over 100K on the factory ones, it due for a tune up. While you're at that, change the air and fuel filters (as I speculate they were not changed in that time either).

Problem #2:
Again, it's just a guess, but sounds like a problem with a flasher module. I am not sure how these Montes are setup, but I've known some cars to have more then one flasher module. Hopefully someone more knowledgable can chime in.

Problem #3:
Not sure I understand the scope of this problem. I would assume during this time of the year, you would want warm air. If you are trying to say it's not heating up enough (seems a bit cold when it should be hotter), may be time to replace the thermastat (as it may be sticking open).

Problem #5:
Is it a master key (came with the car from the dealer) or is it a copied key? My wife has an '05 Impala (part of the same family as the 6th gen Monte). If she uses a freshly copied key, sometimes it has to be wiggled to start the car, but the master key works perfectly. It's either the ignition tumble being less tolerant of minor flaws in copies OR just coped keys are not good enough.

Problem #6:
What does it smell like it's burning? Oil? Plastic? Coolant? Trans Fluid? Best thing to do is pop the hood look around and sniff (see if you can find where the smell is the strongest). Did you recently take the car for an oil change? Sometimes people spill oil on the exhaust manifold during a routine oil change (I have not done it yet on my Monte, but I have done it on other cars and even after wiping the oil off, that smell occurs for a while until the oil completely burns off the manifold).

Problem #7:
You need to periodically use spray lubes on key cylinders (and work the key in it too), hinges and latches. Sounds like it just needs a little lubrication to remedy that.

Problem #8:
My guess is a failing wheel sensor. As I understand, those are in the wheel hubs on the car.

Hope this helps lead your towards some resolution.

Old 02-15-2011, 11:05 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

These "solutions" go along with Maniac, I'm not trying to say his ideas are wrong, I'm just throwing other options to possibly look at.

Problem 1 could also be your MAF sensor, try to remove it (T-20 Security Hex needed) and use MAF Cleaner Spray.

Problem 2 could also be the multifunction switch starting to go. It could even be dirty? Maybe shoot some compressed air into it or wd-40 real quick and hopefully that is simple?

Problem 3 might not be a problem. The car always has air flowing through the vents as you drive. If you don't want warm air to come through the vents, slide the switches to cool and put it on your feet.

Problem 4 you never want to turn the car's wheel to it's maximum until you hear that grinding noise, that just isn't good for the car. It probably loses power because it's stressing parts.

Problem 5 agree with maniac. Unless it is the proper key, your master cylinder may be starting to wear. Do you have a lot on your keychain? A good amount of weight is never good. I keep a quick release on my keychain so only the FOB and Key are in the ignition at once and all my other keys sit in a cup holder.

Problem 8, take a look at this thread, I went into a good amount of detail there.

https://montecarloforum.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=25980

Old 02-15-2011, 05:21 PM
10 Year Member

Problem 3; even when i set the controls to blow to my feet or defrost thingy only the heat still comes through the vents... ill look into changin the t~stat as soon as i could find where it is lol

Problem 5; it is the master key and the copy does the same. I only carry 3 keys on that ring so weight is not the problem.

Problem 7; i put some lube on it and its working better but i noticed the black plastic is peeling and that might be part of the prob also. I cut as much of it away as i can and when i pull the door handle its comes almost all the way up on the way up on the drivers side... the lube worked on the passenger side, thanks for the info.

Problem 6; i believe its oil burning, a local mechanic said intake gasket was leaking so ill get that looked at and fixed asap. i only smell coolant when i turn on the air conditioner but only for a few seconds, no smells with the heater.

Thanks for the answers so far, glad to see people looking out for each other and helping others with their problems. Sorry if I mispelled anything but im using my phone to reply and check the thread.

Old 02-16-2011, 08:44 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

The T-stat is easy to find and about 5 minutes to replace on (at least on a regular 3800, I don't know about a SuperCharged 3800). Just follow the upper radiator hose. Housing is held together with 2 bolts. I had to change one on my Monte last spring.

As for the lower intake gaskets, those do tend to fail, so that could very well be the issue.

And for the iginition lock cylinder issue, if a little WD-40 in it does not help remedy it, sounds to me that it's possibly wearing out.

Old 03-10-2011, 12:31 PM
10 Year Member

Problem 1: i Used black magik engine degreaser and sprayed the engine and washed it with a low flow of water and since then i havent had any shaking at startup, i actually forgot that it sometimes shook because its been so long since it happened.

Problem 2: still exist but i purchased a new aftermarket switch just saving money so i can pay for the fix.

Problem 3: since the warm weather had been in our area i havent noticed any warm air.

Problem 6: Some kind of liquid gets on the 3 pipes at front of engine under dip stick and it is burning off causing the burning smell, it seems to be coming from the little off white Plastic thing from a part thats sticking out like it was pulled with pliers.

Problem 8: i pulled out the front right sensor and cleaned it and put it back in and its working great. You guys are so much help, hopefully everything will be fixed by the en of this month.

Also I had my airbag light come on and it bothered me until i looked in my door hinges and saw wires were pulling apart (lambo doors had to extend wires) I simply reattached the wires making sure they couldnt come apart and 5 seconds later the airbag light went off! Hope that will help someone, so today is the first day i bought the car on dec 23rd 2010 that I dont have any lights on my dash!!! Feels great.

Old 03-10-2011, 02:02 PM

15 Year Member

If there is liquid leaking onto your front exhaust manifold (i assume) it could be oil leaking from the front valve covers. May need to change that gasket. Not a good place to leak anything flammable on since they can get hot.

Old 03-11-2011, 08:08 AM
10 Year Member

Here is a pic from where I think its leaking. You can see how its not straight, its kinda poking out.

http://img845.imageshack.us/i/img9379a.jpg/

Old 03-11-2011, 08:28 AM

15 Year Member

Really hard to see, but does kind of look like your valve cover

Old 03-11-2011, 08:59 AM
10 Year Member

Yea ill try to take a better pic when the Sun comes out more. So will the whole plastic piece need replacing since its bent out as well as the gasket?

Quick Reply: 2002 Monte Carlo ss shaking