Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

6th Gen ('00-'05): 2002 Monte Carlo LS Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2015, 11:45 AM
1 Year Member
Lightbulb 2002 Monte Carlo LS Turbo

Hey everyone, It's been over a year since I posted on this forum last, where I was trying to install sub-woofers into my car.

This time, I am into a different project; I am trying to add a Turbocharger to my car. I have been looking around everywhere for performance parts for the 3400 SFI engine, and realize there is hardly anything at all that is made for my engine; most of it is for the 3800.

I couldn't find a Turbo kit that said it was specifically made for my car; however, I did find a universal turbo kit that could most likely be modified to fit my car: T3 T4 T04E Universal Turbo Charger Kit Wastegate Black Intercooler Piping | eBay

My question for everyone is what else will I need to make this project work out? Do I need to get new manifolds? Fuel injectors? An engine tune after the turbo is installed?

Old 02-16-2015, 12:54 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

You get what you pay for, and it would require a lot of custom work.

I don't believe that is a good idea for you to attempt.

Old 02-16-2015, 01:36 PM
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
You get what you pay for, and it would require a lot of custom work.

I don't believe that is a good idea for you to attempt.
I do want some sort of forced induction whether it be a turbo or supercharger. I would be much happier with my car making 300 whp.

Do you know of any kits or anything you would recommend? If so please send me the link. Also I know it will be a lot of custom work and I am going to take it to a shop for them to modify the headers

Old 02-16-2015, 02:04 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Do you have any emotional attachments to this specific car?

The amount of money a custom shop is going to charge you for this is crazy. You could easily be looking at $3000+ worth of work.

Old 02-16-2015, 03:55 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

If no emotional attachments to that specific car sell it, buy a 3800 either already supercharged or a 3800 N/A and turbo it. Way cheaper in the long run and way more tech support.

Old 02-16-2015, 05:47 PM
1 Year Member

That's the problem, I am attached to my car.

I am also in school and don't have that big of a budget, I figured all I would need is headers, injectors, and a tune after the turbo was installed (to make sure the engine doesn't run lean, and to get the turbo to produce 120 additional horsepower).

It's too bad that they don't make performance parts for the 3400, they are plenty capable. My friend had a 3100 Malibu that was turbo'd and made over 400HP.

Is there any way I could get the parts I need and install it myself for cheaper?

Old 02-16-2015, 05:50 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2016
10 Year Member

Building a turbo kit for the 3400 will be all custom fab work and a lot of money. Also stay away from eBay turbo kits etc. Ebay stuff will not last at all.

Old 02-16-2015, 09:34 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Since you are Emotionally Attached to your car, as I think we all are here, why not invest in a 3800 motor, either S/C or N/A, and work from there? As I understand it, the 3800 motor is as readily available as the parts to modify it!

Old 02-17-2015, 12:07 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

I know there are some N-bodies with a 3400 and a super charger setup (I believe it may have been an aftermarket kit, regardless, whatever it was, it's been discontinued for years).

I am also in school and don't have that big of a budget, I figured all I would need is headers, injectors, and a tune after the turbo was installed
You said two things that do not go well together in that statement. "in school" and "don't have that big of a budget". You have awesome wants, but it's going to require:
- Money
- Possible unplanned down time
- More HP you out put, the higher the stress on the 4T65E (a known weak point on the W-Body cars)

Perhaps a better way to start, what is your budget? That really will dictate what can and cannot be done from the start and get you better recommendations from the crew here.

I understand your complaint that the 60* GM v6 (3100/3400/3500) is a good engine with more potential. But, when vendors wanted to latch onto a v6, many choose the 90* GM v6 (the 3800) for a starting platform. Out of the gate offered more HP/Torque and was just as cheap to start with (and mod).
This is coming from a guy who has played a little with 3800/3100/3400 engines (I have a 3800 powered Monte and 3400 powered Grand Am).

I think mostly because of the N-body community and the fact all they had were 60* v6 engines, there are some companies (such as Milzy Motorsports) that cater to that engine. Your friend's Malibu was a N-body car (like the Grand Ams and Aleros), did he give you info about the cost of his turbo build and where he sourced the parts? It may have been an out of the box kit from one of a couple vendors. A lot of the N-Body engine parts should match up, exhaust parts would be the only exception I can think of.

I know this is not what you are after, but it may give food for thought of things you can do now on a budget (and some of it might help become supporting mods for a future turbo build, but take a look at the link below:
https://montecarloforum.com/forum/fw...p-power-46071/

Hopefully we can help you come up with some direction based on your budget.

Old 02-17-2015, 10:26 AM
1 Year Member

@The_Maniac +1 for your post!

I don't need any of this stuff ATM, so I can accumulate extra cash over time.
If I wanted to still go the turbo route, do you have a rough idea of how much it may cost me?

I don't want to spend more than 3K on this car, at absolute maximum.

Quick Reply: 6th Gen ('00-'05): 2002 Monte Carlo LS Turbo