Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

2001 ss transmission problems

Old 03-31-2011, 03:06 AM
Default 2001 ss transmission problems

I just bought a 01 ss and had to replace the transmission..

Found 1 out of a standard monte no ss..

Then a couple months pass and i have to replace my exhaust manifold because my catalytic converter was stopped up..

Now she ride rough, no power when accelerating, clicks when i turn right..

Anybody with any help please, i have spent $2,000, tired of spending

Old 03-31-2011, 05:57 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Welcome to the forum. I moved your thread out of the meets & gathering section, since that is more for local club meets, and car shows.

Transmission problems are common with the 4t65e if they aren't maintained well. TripleEdgePerformance.com has a great read on our transmissions if you want to learn about them.

You shouldn't have had to replace an exhaust manifold if your Cat was clogged. Actually the Cats getting clogged were a problem that GM warrantied an additional 8 years and 80,000 miles. Did you get the Cat replaced?

The clicking, is that in the steering wheel, or from the front of the car?

Old 04-01-2011, 05:48 PM

know this issue way to well. I just went through this, and fixed it about a week ago. Service the tranny, and or get somebody to open it up and see whats going on in there. Internal issues are usually the case when you cant find anything otherwise, not to assume you dont know that but all the same.

Old 04-02-2011, 12:53 AM

Yea i replaced the cat..

The clicking is in the front end and when i turn right its more like a clucking sometime..

My biggest problem is there isnt much power and she kind of shakes when accelerating..

Old 04-05-2011, 01:22 PM

Welcome to the club, I just recently brought my Monte and there are lot of issues that I need to take care of with this car. I think it will be worth it in the end. Just make sure your getting it service by someone who knows what they are doing. I have the same clicking sound on my car and I have a transmission leak among other things. I think your power problem could either be in you fuel, your coil packs or it might just need a tune up. This forum is a good place to get some answers about your car. My plan is to find a good mechanic that charges a decent rate and just have him work on my car for things that I can't do until i have it running how want it to be.

Old 04-05-2011, 06:14 PM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2011
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Do you have a check engine light that's on right now hou_monte?

Old 04-05-2011, 06:38 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Well the clicking sounds to me like a CV axle joint. Is there a torn boot, old grease thrown about on the underside by the right front axle shaft? If it's dry the bearings start to come apart. Jack up the wheel off the deck, put a jack stand in place. Get under the car and really try to shake and pull and wiggle the axle. If there is any play in the shaft that will tell you the joint has failed. Sounds like its the axle to me.
Might check if there are any rocks or other foreign debris stuck between the backing plate and calipers or anywhere in that general area. Pull the tire of, get a flashlight any give it a good once over.....

Hesitation on acceleration.... I assume you replaced the fouled clogged cat. When was the last time you replaced the fuel filter" Perhaps you have a bad plug wire or coil pack. At night with the car running, look under the hood to see if you can see any obvious sparks jumping from the wires or coils. (I had a thin-walled coil shorting out directly to the block before) Could be a simple as a fouled plug. Pull a couple easy spark plugs (go easy on the boots) and see how worn they are with a feeler gauge and what color the tips are "Black, white, brown". Might give you a clue as to if the others are in the same condition. My friends Ranger came to life after we replaced just 1 fouled plug. let us know....

Old 04-05-2011, 08:40 PM

Well I've got tranny problems too where my Overdrive will drop out for no reason for like 3-10 mins of highway driving then drop back down again no problem at all. Anyone have an explanationf or that one?

New fluid and filter were installed about 8000 miles ago... had the issues then, too.

Old 04-05-2011, 10:44 PM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2011
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by whitemonte
Well I've got tranny problems too where my Overdrive will drop out for no reason for like 3-10 mins of highway driving then drop back down again no problem at all. Anyone have an explanationf or that one?

New fluid and filter were installed about 8000 miles ago... had the issues then, too.
To be fair to the OP, I want to point out that you are sort of being rude by posting in his thread with a question that's unrelated to his car. However whitemonte, your problem is an easy one to solve. You need a new 4th clutch hub. That means it's time for your tranny to be rebuilt (I recommend Triple Edge Performance).

I'm not trying to be mean, but let's go back to what this thread was originally about